+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Alert: Stolen Photography Equipment :Alert

Images
    This is a great reminder to us all to keep a list of all of our equipment (bodies, lenses, filters, tubes, flashes, equipment bags/cases, etc) and their serial numbers. Even having pictures of each piece would help in both identifying it to the police as well as making a claim on homeowners/business insurance. I know I never even thought of keeping a list until Ross encouraged me to when I started buying all of his old gear off him.
    Live every day like its your last, you never know when you won't get another chance! -Me-
    Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin. -Anonymous-
    "We cannot do great things on this earth. We can only do small things with great love." -Mother Teresa-

Digital: Canon EOS 1D, Canon S3 IS
    Film: Canon EOS Elan II, Nikon FM, Pentax K1000, Minolta SR-T 101

I am in search of fully manual film cameras for use with photography programs with the Girl Scouts, whom I do volunteer programs for. Anyone willing to donate or sell such cameras to me for the programs, please PM me. THANKS!

Images
    I hadn't thought about a gun safe... not a bad idea.

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter..."
    Ansel Adams

"... So don't choke and screw it up!" Me

Mike Collins

Canon 5DMk3 (gripped), 17-40L f/4, 24-70L f/2.8 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 100 f/2.8 Macro, 135L f/2, 200L f/1.8, TC1.4 II, TC2 III, 600EX-RT (2), ST-E3-RT
    Sigma 15 f/2.8 Fisheye

3. Thanks everyone.

comparitively, what they took against what they *could* have stolen was a bit puzzling.

They seemed to grab anything with the word "Canon" on it. The canon bag had the logo on it, and they only grabbed mostly Canon compatible lenses. (they left two minolta lenses sitting right next to the Canon and Sigma they took). Sara had her 4x5 camera set up in the middle of the studio next to the lights, but they left those. We also had a checkbook on our coffee table next to a Nintendo DS unit, and both of those were left. The crooks never made it to the side of the studio where the computers, printers, etc are.

I'd say they got around $2,700 in stuff based on MSRP of items. Luckily, I had my 5D and my new 135L lens with me over the weekend, so those weren't stolen. What I'm really sore about is they stole my light meter and my macro lens I use for all my gallery toy prints. Now I have to go through the hassle of insurance claims to get another lens so I can meet a deadline in May for a gallery exhibition I'm going to be part of (new work, not yet shot).

We're in the middle of filling out the insurance claims and digging up reciepts for things that were stolen.

But I'm totally lucky they didn't steal more than they could have, or worse, they could have just walked into the studio and trashed the whole place.

I spent the next day after the robbery installing new doors and I have a trillion locks on them now and I'm going to research a little into cheap alarm systems or motion cameras outside the studio door. The only way they can get in now is if they bring a chainsaw with them.

But its weird that they targeted specific things and left the rest of the studio untouched.

Images
    i think thats why the general feeling here is that it was a bunch of kids.. but they left the ideo games which is puzzeling if it were kids... whoever it was either had little time or just did it for the hell of it would be my guess.
    Canon EOS 30D With grip, various lenses and stuff...

see my pics at www.brokenfencephotography.com

Visit me on Facebook..

Feel like helping some homeless Pets?
    the proceds from any of the products purchased go
    directly to helping CT animal shelters.
    www.helpwillysfriends.com.org

5. I'm still sluthing around about how they got into our building and into the studio. I'm on the top (4th) floor, and the door to that floor was locked, so the only other way they could have got up was by getting into one of the bottom floors and coming up the service elevator which is hidden in the back of the building. Then to snake around the top floor to my studio and break in. . . . it was definitely a targeted thing. There are other art studios on other floors with much more expensive items or money that are much easier to break into, so this was a specific targeted thing.

But it could have been much worse. They could have busted up all my equipment and trashed the place, in which case I'd be crying my eyes out right now and considering suicide instead of just being bummed out because my favorite macro and light meter are gone.

Images
    think maybe it was someone who has been there recently? maybe came in with someone who was geting some shots?

Visit me on Facebook..

7. There hasn't been too many people at the studio recently. I picked up a PT job as a director of an art non-profit so that keeps me away from the studio on M/W/Fri usually, and its been pretty dry anyway as I haven't had any jobs coming in aside from stuff for friends that I wouldn't place into the "suspect" catagory.

Because of this new job I've been in some papers lately, and I try to talk up my personal work and the studio as often as I can, so it could have been someone that read about me in the paper, but I would think they would have had to have scoped out the building a few times in advance to know how to work their way up. But I'm still trying to research it all out. Unfortunately everyone in the building I speak to claims they weren't in the building on the afternoon/evening it happened.

I think what bothers me the most is knowing that someone was poking around in my stuff. Its a very violating feeling.

Images
    That is really terrible. I've not been broken into, but I've had other things done that made me feel "violated". I had a relative that I am pretty sure staged a fake burgarly at the last house we lived in. They were staying there to watch our kids so my wife and I could go to Florida and get away alone. When we got back, we were told that his truck (he's a plumber) was completely emptied while sitting in our driveway the night before. He had the State Police there and all kinds of hoopla while we were gone. After giving it some thought, my wife and I are convinced that he drove to a storage place and emptied it himself to commit insurance fraud. We both felt very violated, and that's no where near what happened to you.

I think the key is that you have a pattern of not being there often, so that sets up an ideal scenario. My guess is they took stuff they knew could be easily liquidated, and not very easily traced. Canon gear is going to be much more common than pro-only type gear. I think you are doing the right thing to get locks in place. Even if you don't actually install a security system, I'd get some stickers in place. My understanding is that a sticker that says you have an alarm, is about 95% effective at getting a theif to move on... since they have no way of knowing if its true or not.

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter..."
    Ansel Adams

"... So don't choke and screw it up!" Me

Mike Collins

Canon 5DMk3 (gripped), 17-40L f/4, 24-70L f/2.8 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 100 f/2.8 Macro, 135L f/2, 200L f/1.8, TC1.4 II, TC2 III, 600EX-RT (2), ST-E3-RT
    Sigma 15 f/2.8 Fisheye

Images
    I took our old way of just a list and turned it into an excel spreadsheet, for listing all equipment, serial numbers, value etc... Both Ross and I updated to this new spreadsheet list and also keep pictures of all our gear... It's a simple excel spreadseet format, easy for anyone... but a great template for getting started with making a list of your equipment... I'm happy to send my excel template to anyone who wants to use it... just send me a pm and I'll email it to you...

I would also recommend making duplicate copies of your list and gear pictures, and keep one copy somewhere off site (at work, with someone you can trust, etc)....

Quote Originally Posted by CruzinGirl
    This is a great reminder to us all to keep a list of all of our equipment (bodies, lenses, filters, tubes, flashes, equipment bags/cases, etc) and their serial numbers. Even having pictures of each piece would help in both identifying it to the police as well as making a claim on homeowners/business insurance. I know I never even thought of keeping a list until Ross encouraged me to when I started buying all of his old gear off him.

TRJ Photography
    Freelance Photographer
    Berkshire Scenic Railroad Museum - Public Relations
    National Press Photographers Association
    Nikon User Digital: D200, D90, D100-IR. Film: F2, EL, EM, Nikormat.
    Photography Passions
    Sports & Action ~ Macro ~ Nature & Wildlife

Images
    thanks trish...thats a great idea!!

Mike, Iv actually had bushes stolen of my lawn..lol WTH??? someone went down my street at night and hit almost every house that was landscaped!!

Visit me on Facebook..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information