+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My daughter's Chinchillas

Images

My daughter's Chinchillas

She got these for Christmas and they are quite entertaining to watch. Every couple of evenings they go up to our bathroom for a "dust bath" and to explore for a little while. The dust bath is the way they keep their fur clean. You put a bowl of this special powder there and they jump in and roll around in it. I was trying to get a shot of them on my daughter's head, but I kept missing the shot.

These were with a Canon 20D, 24-85mm, and using the onboard flash.

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter..."
    Ansel Adams

"... So don't choke and screw it up!" Me

Mike Collins

Canon 5DMk3 (gripped), 17-40L f/4, 24-70L f/2.8 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 100 f/2.8 Macro, 135L f/2, 200L f/1.8, TC1.4 II, TC2 III, 600EX-RT (2), ST-E3-RT
    Sigma 15 f/2.8 Fisheye

Images
    i like the second shot, almost looks like a stuffed animal sitting there.
    http://www.dslocum-photography.com

Nikon D300
    Nikon 18-200VR
    Sigma 70-200 f/2.8
    Nikon SB-600

Images
    They are very cute. I don't think I have ever seen one before. How do the dogs feel about them?
    "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Canon 5D
    Rebel XT - IR converted
    and a bunch of lenses

4. I don't think I have ever seen one of these either, Nice pix. Is it true they taste just like chicken?

Images
    I haven't seen them around in pet stores until just recently. They have, of course, been bred for coats for a long time. They live about 15 years, so more like a dog/cat than other critters like gerbils. They also cost quite a bit more... $xxx. They are very clean, seem to enjoy being held, and are hillarious to watch. The term, "jumping off the walls" fits these guys, as when they are free to run around they run into, and then jump off of, the walls.

We keep the dogs off the floor when they are out of the cage, for obvious reasons. One of our dogs is especially interested in them, but the other two seem to be oblivious that they are there. They live in a 4-5' high cage in the family room with a lot of levels, ramps, tubes, and even a hammock. The one dog that shows interest in them will come over to the cage and but noses with the black one. They'll set there touching noses for a while, then one of them will run away. The tan one is more skiddish and retreats to higher parts of the cage when the dogs are around.

We've had them for about a month and so far, so good.

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter..."
    Ansel Adams

"... So don't choke and screw it up!" Me

Mike Collins

Canon 5DMk3 (gripped), 17-40L f/4, 24-70L f/2.8 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 100 f/2.8 Macro, 135L f/2, 200L f/1.8, TC1.4 II, TC2 III, 600EX-RT (2), ST-E3-RT
    Sigma 15 f/2.8 Fisheye

Images
    we have a store up here in wallyworld that sells em, been selling them for a long time too.... they also have sugar gliders, they are way cool!!!
    Canon EOS 30D With grip, various lenses and stuff...

see my pics at www.brokenfencephotography.com

Visit me on Facebook..

Feel like helping some homeless Pets?
    the proceds from any of the products purchased go
    directly to helping CT animal shelters.
    www.helpwillysfriends.com.org

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information