+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Last night of employment

Last night of employment

I took this series of photos inside of Southworth Paper's West Springfield mill on its last night of operations. I've known everyone that has worked here since I was very young. One of them inparticular had worked there nearly 25 years at the time the shutdown was announced. My father worked there for nearly 30 years.

I'll start off with the "next to last roll" entering the air dryer. Here you see it passing by 500 degree coals beginning the drying process

In the spring of 1995, the paper mill nearly burnt to the ground after a roll tore as it passed by the coals. Firefighters from Southworth Paper, West Springfield Fire, Agawam Fire and Westfield Fire responded quickly and saved the building. However the air dryer was lost and was replaced and re-opened in the late 1995.

Here is Jimmy. He had worked here for almost 25 years when the mill shut down. I asked him how he felt. He said "Oddly, I always knew this day would come, I just never thought I was going to be alive to see it. But I am thankful that I will be sending the last roll through the dryer"

Jimmy poses by the roll

Minutes later, the last roll begins spining and enters the air dryer. 15 minutes later, just about all is said and done. Jimmy smiles with a tear in his eye as he watches the roll come off the machine.

Justin wraps the last roll

Justin writes a fitting tribute to the papermill on the wrapping

Justin & Jimmy pose for one last photo together

The writing reads "The very last roll to pass through the fiery mouth of the West Spfld Mill Air Dryer on March 16, 2006 at 10:30pm EST"
    It is signed by both of them

Finally, about an hour after the shutdown, my father walks over to a large piece of the last roll, bends down, picks it up and tears a piece off.

Minutes later, I caught him crying on the foot bridge over the canal. He just looked at me and said "This isn't right"

The next day, management held a luncheon for all of the employees and family. There I saw faces I thought I'd never see again. All of them had the same look of shock and disbelief that the Southworth Paper Mill would be shutting down for good after 167 years in operation.

May you rest in peace Southworth Mill

Bodies
    Canon 7D
    | Canon 40D
    Glass
    Rokinon 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye | Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC MACRO | Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

Images
    Very touching series....the end of era is upon everywhere in america.
    Canon Cameras: S2-IS, 20D, 30D
    Canon Lenses: 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, 50mm f/1.8, 70-200 f/4L
    Canon Flash: 580 EX
    Other Lenses:
    Tamron 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3, Sigma 105mm f/2.8, Sigma "Bigma" 50-500mm f/4-6.3

Girls are always running through my mind. They don't dare walk.
    - Andy Gibb

Images
    Yeah, this could be told as "The new American Tale" operations like this are shutting down across the country... its a shame, lotsa people depend on places like these.. sometimes they arent the best jobs in the world but it puts food on the table and a roof overhead!
    its a shame!
    Canon EOS 30D With grip, various lenses and stuff...

see my pics at www.brokenfencephotography.com

Visit me on Facebook..

Feel like helping some homeless Pets?
    the proceds from any of the products purchased go
    directly to helping CT animal shelters.
    www.helpwillysfriends.com.org

Images
    That is a shame, I agree with both of them..
    As of April 22dn I am now Mrs. Aron Cartes.. (aceman152)

Images
    It is sad to see this kind of thing happen, but sometimes it costs more to upgrade old mills than it does to build new ones... and of course new ones are bigger/faster/cheaper so they can consolidate. But, over time you'd like to think that other businesses will come into those communities and build new. The challenge for the workers is getting the skills they will need.

In NY, the governor has spent nearly his entire time in office trying to build the Hudson River corridor into a "Silicon Valley East". Dubbed, Tech Valley for short, with his time in office growing to a close, he finally succeeded in bringing something big in to offset the many mills that have closed over the years. AMD, the number 2 chip maker in the country will be building a $3B chip plant in Saratoga county. Together with all the R&D investments at UAlbany and RPI from IBM, SemaTech, and others, this will create a nice anchor point in the Capital District. The southern end of the valley already had a huge chip making presence with IBM's Fishkill plant. The area in between is ripe for the picking. But one thing nice about the AMD situation is that it is very close to being in the heart of an area that has seen a number of paper mills close over the last 10 years.

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter..."
    Ansel Adams

"... So don't choke and screw it up!" Me

Mike Collins

Canon 5DMk3 (gripped), 17-40L f/4, 24-70L f/2.8 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 100 f/2.8 Macro, 135L f/2, 200L f/1.8, TC1.4 II, TC2 III, 600EX-RT (2), ST-E3-RT
    Sigma 15 f/2.8 Fisheye

Images
    Adam-

Very moving series. It really hits home for me - Pfizer recently announced that the Groton Plant, where I currently work, will be ceasing operations and decomissioned by the end of 2008. As of this year the plant has been here for 60 years - it was converted from a wartime sub shipyard to a chemical and pharmeceutal plant in 1948. Granted, I've only been here for 6 years, but it still sucks. There's guys who have been here 20 years doing the same job, that now have to find a job in a different field. This shutdown affects about 300 people. Sucks.

Again, great series, and a moving story behind the pictures.

Consolodation sucks....

-Tom
    Tom Nanos
    ---------------------------------------------
    Northeast US Rail Photography

NanosPhoto.com
    Volunteer/Photographer - CT Eastern Railroad Museum
    My Published Photography Portfolio
    My Railroad Photo Blog
    NECCC Digital Coordinator - The Windham (CT) Photography Club
    My stock photography at Alamy

Feel free to give me any feedback, good or bad, on any photo I post.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly"
    Thomas Paine, The Crisis, December 23, 1776

2 major factories in the town where Im a firefighter continue to cut jobs. they just released 50 employees in the offices for good, not layoffs, they just terminated their jobs. America is heading for a dark time im afraid. Something needs to change.
    Canon Rebel XTi(400d) with grip
    Canon 7d with grip
    Canon 18-55
    Canon 75-300
    Canon 50mm 1.8 Prime Lens
    Canon 70-200 2.8 L IS
    Canon 420ex flash

Images
    Thanks for sharing this story with us! I like the series of pictures you chose, and am really glad you decided to include Justin and Jimmy... it really makes the pictures become very moving.
    Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT
    Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC OS
    EF-S 18-55mm

Wonderful series of photos. Sad to see another mill close.
    The name is Winston, but please call me Sandy, and never late for dinner.
    http://flowingriverphotos.com

""Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields

Images
    Great series, really tells the tale well.

Sadly, this will happen more and more in the future. 2009 will be much worse I am afraid. There is no such thing as job security anymore.
    Nikon D200 w/ battery grip
    Nikon D50
    Nikon D70
    SB-600
    SB-800
    Nikon 50mm
    Nikkon 18-55
    Sigma 28-90
    Sigma 55-200
    Sigma 70-300
    Sigma 50-500
    Feisol CM-1471 Monopod