+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Greeting Cards/Postcards

1. Greeting Cards/Postcards

So how would one go about submitting work for greeting cards/postcards?

Images
    Hmm... good question. Its probably similar to stock shooting, and I've not done any of that. Hopefully someone has had some experience with it.

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter..."
    Ansel Adams

"... So don't choke and screw it up!" Me

Mike Collins

Canon 5DMk3 (gripped), 17-40L f/4, 24-70L f/2.8 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 100 f/2.8 Macro, 135L f/2, 200L f/1.8, TC1.4 II, TC2 III, 600EX-RT (2), ST-E3-RT
    Sigma 15 f/2.8 Fisheye

Images
    I know there is a whole discussian on another site about making your own cards and selling them... I dont have a clue to selling to companies! Try the 2006 Photographers market for this..its a great resorce!
    -zacker-
    Canon EOS 30D With grip, various lenses and stuff...

see my pics at www.brokenfencephotography.com

Visit me on Facebook..

Feel like helping some homeless Pets?
    the proceds from any of the products purchased go
    directly to helping CT animal shelters.
    www.helpwillysfriends.com.org

Postcards/Greeting Cards

If you have a photo style printer and an "Image Editor", It's possible to do your own postcards and greeting cards. You can get everything you need to do the work from http://www.redriver.com which also has instructions in "pdf" form on how to do it. Also http://www.photographersedge.com has a wesite on how to turn you images into greeting cards and postcards. They also buy images from photographers and have supplies and card stock for your work. They also have information on how to submit your images.

American Greeting Card Co. and Hallmark Co. buy from photographers. but you will have to query them first to get submission info on how to send your images. Some Companies want you to FTP (file transfer protocol) your images in TIFF resolution only, some want the images in CMYK, but you will get that info when you query them. Also some want you to upload, while others may want a "cd" submission, but you have to be careful about submitting a "CD" with full resolution images.

You can also get card stock from Staples (cheapest yet) that folds in half to greeting card size and experiment with your images and size to fit, but it's best to read up it first.

Most of the Companies that you deal with as far as selling "stock" will want hundreds of images at one time cause the more you have, the better chance your work will get seenand looked over. Publishers Perfection buys all kinds of photographic images but dealing with them is not easy. Stock is hard work and you have to be on the llokout for any and all kinds of pictures.

Here's hoping this can get you started. As Zacker said, the latest Photographers Market for 2006 is a great source of information.
    ProPhotoImages/ Ted Austin
    National Press Photographers Association (NPPA)
    National Association PhotoShop Professionals (NAPP)
    Electronic Technicians Assn (ETA)

See Infrared at: http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h278/prophotoimages

"A bad day in the Darkroom is better than a good day in the classroom".

" Instead of 8 hours in the darkroom, It's now 8 hours at the computer".

Images
    I know of alot of people who live in small vacation type towns who make cards and sell them to the local gift shops and stores.. they do pretty well from what they say. Also, local farmers markes seem to be the hot spot to sell them and prints also. the beauty of it is, you really dont need to print any quotes or sayings on the cards... just sel them as blank note cards. My wife has turned a bunch of my shots into cards because she is a huge card writer ( masters in English) and to give as gifts for small things like a hostess gift when we go over someones house "never show up empty handed!" lol How many times have i heard that one?
    lol
    -zacker-

Visit me on Facebook..

Images
    Here are a few examples of what she makes.. Please keep in mind that these are scans done on a really bad scanner..lol

-zacker-

Visit me on Facebook..

Postcards/Greeting Cards

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that if you have a website or space, you can advertise you wares and lets perusers know that your images are also available as greeting cards and postcards. But what you do is, make up some greeting cards, package them with envelopes and have them ready @ say 10 to a package with envelopes for maybe $30.00 per package. Don't "greeting card" the same images you are selling on your site, but if a buyer would rather have a set of cards for $30.00 rather than a 300 dollar image, "what are you going to do".

I belong to an Arts Cooperative that does what they call "Second Saturdays". Every second Saturday of every month. My Arts Coop sells outside the building which is heavily trafficked. Artworks, pictures and cards are sold. I have a greeting card stand with images packaged in cellophane and in the stand. Singles go for $4.00 each. You can also go around to gift shops and ask them, if you can leave your stand so they will be seen. Of couse, now you have to give the shop that sells a profit so they will make something also. You wil also have to sit down with paper and pencil and see how much your actual costs are as far as material, supplies, and ink for you printer. Then mark up accordingly.

I have a caveat that you should never fall "so in love' with your work that you wouldn't be willing to part with it. If you are, you don't want to be business.

8. Now see the caveat you have is my slight dilemna, Ted. My best images are my favorites which I am having trouble parting with! I am working to get over this I appreciate the feedback though and will keep it all in mind. I am just kicking around a few ideas for now.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KVphoto
    Now see the caveat you have is my slight dilemna, Ted. My best images are my favorites which I am having trouble parting with! I am working to get over this I appreciate the feedback though and will keep it all in mind. I am just kicking around a few ideas for now.
    why? you could sell em and keep copies.. its not like you sell the original file. But then again, it might make you feel weird knowing someone else is useing them..
    -zacker-

Visit me on Facebook..

Selling Postcards/Greeting cards & Prints...

Zacker.

You have a smart wife helping you ply your by- products (photography). Maybe she can even write some of your captions or think up other promotional ideas for you, if that's what you desire.

KVphoto,

There was a time when I was in love with my own work. I didn't want to ever part with any "fine art images", but pictures were on the walls in my home and office and everyone who saw them wanted a copy of this or that.
    Finally came to the realization that this was money "hanging" and for all those images gathering "dust" on the walls and floors, I wasn't earning but spending, so I gave up the "love" and started some marketing. I have made up presentation books with "fine arts; presentation books with "weddings"; and presentations books with events & sports and started "prostituting" myself. Hated that part of it but wanted to crack the market here. Last year, I had a gallery show, hung 22 prints and sold all but one. The gallery owner also owned a "recording studio" and was able to make a deal doing demo photos for his speculative CD 's * working several angles, I've had pet owners wanting "pet portraits". My partner is a marketeer and seller and books just about anything photographable, knowing that between us , we can probally do it. Of course it helps that we do have an indoor studio and shooting room with the necessary equipment and there's work out there
    to be had if you are willing to stop "loving" your work and start selling your work.

But, it's not always about selling and marketing and making money. You have to have a "love" for your craft and art and work and for me photography is my greatest "love". I want to see everyone have this kind of "love" and "peace" and "serenity" in their lives. It would be better if everyone shot with a camera instead of a gun.

I see that kind of thing in the works of Convergent, Orgoni1, Zacker. Tom Nanos & other users here at "NEF" that I don't really know, but have seen their works and uploaded images. I am inspired by viewing other NEF works and feel a rejuvenation and gain ideas from all this.

God bless the Forums, NEF'ers and may you too gain an inner peace.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information