+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ultra Wide Angle Lenses and Vignetting...

Images

Ultra Wide Angle Lenses and Vignetting...

My question is simple... if you have an ultra-wide angle... and it causes vignetting... does stopping down the aperature *help* with the vignetting at all?
    Ross Mealey
    Canon Professional Services Member

Images
    i will have to try and see on my 1020 as i took a series of shots and i changed tomany things at once to tell what does it as i was switching the focal length and the f-stop as well to expose differently to get a feel for the lenses reaction
    and it the series some had it real bad and some didnt so ill keep the focal length the same and just switch the f-stop and see
    im sure someone knows but i like to "try to " to learn

Images
    Yes and No....

Here is a summary of a Wikipedia definition of vignetting...

Vignetting refers to a reduction in image brightness in the image edges compared to the image center. This can be deliberate for artistic effect. This can be done with special filters or in software. However, it can also be unwanted. There are three different kinds of unwanted vignetting - mechanical, optical, and pixel.

Mechanical vignetting occurs when the light beams are partially blocked by external objects such as thick filters, incorrect lens hoods, etc. I can also be caused by internal lens elements. Mechanical vignetting is sensitive to aperture, so stopping down may remove the effect.

Optical vignetting is light falloff that is inherent in the lens design. Wide-angle designs and the lens designs used in compact cameras and rangefinders are more prone to optical vignetting than longer lenses and retrofocus SLR lenses. Optical vignetting is not reduced by stopping down. It can be corrected by with a gradual grey filter or in software.

Pixel vignetting only affects digital cameras and is caused by the physical depth of the photon wells that capture light in today's digital cameras. Most digital cameras use built-in image processing to compensate for pixel vignetting.

A complete description with pictures is available at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vignetting

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter..."
    Ansel Adams

"... So don't choke and screw it up!" Me

Mike Collins

Canon 5DMk3 (gripped), 17-40L f/4, 24-70L f/2.8 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 100 f/2.8 Macro, 135L f/2, 200L f/1.8, TC1.4 II, TC2 III, 600EX-RT (2), ST-E3-RT
    Sigma 15 f/2.8 Fisheye

If you shoot with an ultra ultra wide full frame, stopping down will help. There are software plug-Ins for Adobe Photoshop that will help if necessary with vignetting and converging lines if your shots look too fish- eyee...without actually using a fish-eye.
    ProPhotoImages/ Ted Austin
    National Press Photographers Association (NPPA)
    National Association PhotoShop Professionals (NAPP)
    Electronic Technicians Assn (ETA)

See Infrared at: http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h278/prophotoimages

"A bad day in the Darkroom is better than a good day in the classroom".

" Instead of 8 hours in the darkroom, It's now 8 hours at the computer".

Images
    I can try it ross...

I know i just zoom out to about 12mm or so.
    -zacker-

come to think about it, the car pic i uploaded was with that lens on the 30D at 10MM ( i believe) and about f 11 or16..i think, ill have to check the orig. and see exactly what it was set at.. I gotta go look at the shot again, I dont remember there being any dark corners.
    Canon EOS 30D With grip, various lenses and stuff...

see my pics at www.brokenfencephotography.com

Visit me on Facebook..

Feel like helping some homeless Pets?
    the proceds from any of the products purchased go
    directly to helping CT animal shelters.
    www.helpwillysfriends.com.org

Images
    so i went and looked the shot over, it looks like it vignetted ever so slightly.. esp in the upper left corner but it could also be the sun, it was behind my right shoulder i believe. i will check the orig..plus, i might have it cropped.. ( I cant remember...isnt that terrible?)
    -zacker-
    Canon EOS 30D With grip, various lenses and stuff...

see my pics at www.brokenfencephotography.com

Visit me on Facebook..

Feel like helping some homeless Pets?
    the proceds from any of the products purchased go
    directly to helping CT animal shelters.
    www.helpwillysfriends.com.org

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information