+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nikon says digital SLR sales ahead of estimates

Images

Nikon says digital SLR sales ahead of estimates

Nikon says digital SLR sales ahead of estimates

A Reuters article says that Nikon's digital SLR sales are ahead of what the company projected for April and May 2006, amd that its production facilities in Thailand are running "at full tilt" to meet demand for the D50, D70s and D200 models manufactured there.

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter..."
    Ansel Adams

"... So don't choke and screw it up!" Me

Mike Collins

Canon 5DMk3 (gripped), 17-40L f/4, 24-70L f/2.8 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 100 f/2.8 Macro, 135L f/2, 200L f/1.8, TC1.4 II, TC2 III, 600EX-RT (2), ST-E3-RT
    Sigma 15 f/2.8 Fisheye

Images
    When I saw the headline I was thinking... ahead of expectations doesn't really mean anything... did they expect a lot, or a little? Then I read the article and the last line says, "The article also cites 2005 figures from research firm IDC that puts Nikon's share of the digital SLR market worldwide at 28.3 percent and Canon's share at 53.3 percent.", which is a pretty interesting statistic. I think the common percentage that is always throw around is "80%" when referring to Canon's market share. I knew that was probably a little bit above what ever the real number was, but these look like real numbers from IDC. If this data is acurate, then Nikon holds a MUCH bigger slice of the pie in comparison to Canon, than what is typically stated. I don't know if this means Canon has lost significant share because Nikon and others are slicing into it, or if Canon never had that large of a share to begin with. Having over 50% is still a statement of market dominance, but there number is not double Nikons based on these numbers. If this were a game of All-in Texas Hold'em, then it would clearly be anybody's race at this point.

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter..."
    Ansel Adams

"... So don't choke and screw it up!" Me

Mike Collins

Canon 5DMk3 (gripped), 17-40L f/4, 24-70L f/2.8 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 100 f/2.8 Macro, 135L f/2, 200L f/1.8, TC1.4 II, TC2 III, 600EX-RT (2), ST-E3-RT
    Sigma 15 f/2.8 Fisheye

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information