+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help. What to buy

Need help. What to buy

I have 2 Savage CM-250 studio lights. One of the lights have a soft box on them. Everytime I do pictures there are shadows. Will umbrellas help reduce the shadow? Or any other suggestions would be great. The subject is about 3 feet away from the backdrop. I have my main light on the left about 9ft back and 70" tall and fill light on the right about 11ft back and 70" tall.
    Sorry if this is in the wrong spot. Please feel free to move.

Life isn't about finding yourself.
    Life is about creating yourself.

Images
    Heres the larger versions... after you load them in the gallery if you click on each one highlight and copy the "BB Code" and paste that directly to the thread... =)

Ross Mealey
    Canon Professional Services Member

Images
    I am by FAR not the lighting guy... but let me give a stab on this... first off can you describe where both lights are? I can see (obvious from the shadows) that your main light is left of you facing the target at about a 30 degree angle from center... so... where is the other light facing?

My first thought is to use the second light as a fill light... from about 30-45 degrees from the right and on low power... you may also be able to reduce the main lights power by 1-stop when you add the second light.. but I am really not that sure about that part...
    Ross Mealey
    Canon Professional Services Member

I use umbrellas for most of my indoor shoots. I place them approxinatelly 3-5 ft away from the subject, higher than 5 ft, and shoot through the umbrellas. They are placed to the right and left of the camera facing down towards the subject. I also use some overhead lighting as well to help eliminate even more of the shadows, when possible. This can be impossible when on location in someones home and space is minimal. I also am using constant lighting, not flash so I can see where the light falls prior to the shoot and make adjustments accordingly. You can also place your fill light right next to the camera at camera level and 2 main light sources off to each side. Again, experimenting is the key till you find the result you are looking for. Hope this helps.
    KEE'S PHOTOGRAPHY
    Robin Hitchcock
    Gloversville, NY

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information