+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nikon D200 Question

Nikon D200 Question

I feel like I am making a bunch of stupid questions here and some of you are probably saying.. get some education.. but I think there are no stupid questions.

So I was out playing with my new D200 today... now I have shot some equine shoots after I got this, but this is the first time I went out to shoot waterfalls. So with my book handy and the field guide I bought, I set out for a local set of falls by my house. It was warmer then yesterday.. I promise HAHAHA

So I set the settings like I used on the D100, and all I got was a quick shot, nothing like the long drawn out silk like feel that I am used to getting with the D100. So I started to play with the settings, tried different ones, tried playing with the exposure which only turned out to show a white photo... like WAY over exposed. I stood there for about 45min before I got to cold, reading my book, trying different things.. and in the end nothing worked. Can someone help me.. maybe there is a setting in the custom menus that I am missing...

Thanks
    Kris
    "The past is history, the future is a mystery, and this moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present."

http://denkersphotography.org
    http://www.myspace.com/sphotography

Images
    You are right... there are no stupid questions...

You can go about this a couple different ways... but the easiest is to Tv (shutter priority) and just set the shutter speed to be say 5 seconds... and then make adjustments from there... you can make the changes using the MODE button on the left top and the right (front I think) rotating knob... I cant remember offhand if it says S or T or Tv... but its one of those...
    Ross Mealey
    Canon Professional Services Member

I too am a newb to the the D200, but from what it sounds like, the picture is maybe getting a little (ok a lot) overexposed.

Try this....
    Change your mode to S (shutter priority) and change to 5" (5 seconds like Orgnoi said)

You will want to shoot on a tripod of course

Once you do that, I would shoot with a 2 second timer to eliminate camera shake.

Change your ISO to 100

Once that's all set, shoot a few shots keeping those settings the same, while changing your exposure settings (the +/- button below the shutter release button)

I hope this helps!
    Bodies: Nikon D200 & D700 w/ MB-D10
    Lenses: Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII w/ Hoya HD UV Filter, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 w/ Hoya HD Protective filter, Nikon 18-200mm VR
    Flash: Nikon SB-800
    Bags/Cases: Pelican 1600, Tamrac Pro8

Flikr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kromwell/

Images
    and it depends on the amount of daylight there is.. id shot it in manual mode, if its sunny try 1 or 2 second shutter speed at f 11 and raise the f stops from there.. you want to block as muhc light as possible.. if its a grey day, then you can raise lower the shutter to 5 secs.. but honestly, 5 secs in daylight seems to me like a way long time.. unless you have a good nd filter.
    Canon EOS 30D With grip, various lenses and stuff...

see my pics at www.brokenfencephotography.com

Visit me on Facebook..

Feel like helping some homeless Pets?
    the proceds from any of the products purchased go
    directly to helping CT animal shelters.
    www.helpwillysfriends.com.org

Images
    shooting falls i always shoot aperture priority to control my shutter. I have a reason in my head, and that is if its a bright day you are never going to get a multi second shot with out filters so to save the blown out shots i raise up my f-stop to the highest reasonable setting. if i get a silky shot, great, if not i know i cant get it with out a filter. if its low light something in the f15 range will work fine and you will get a good long exposure, if its not long enough to get the silk flow bump the fstop a little.
    http://www.dslocum-photography.com

Nikon D300
    Nikon 18-200VR
    Sigma 70-200 f/2.8
    Nikon SB-600

Images
    I am with Zacker, I would shoot it on manual mode (I always shoot on manual mode)

I would use a decent ND filter, bright sunshine or heavy overcast. Drop the shutter down to like 1 second, drop the ISO way down to the lowest setting, take a shot, and adjust from there. I usually try to get the shutter down to somewhere around 2-5 seconds. Just get the shutter down to where you get the water the way you want it first, then raise your F stop up until you get the rest of the photo the way you want it.

Play around with your white balance also.

Just depends what you are looking for, something like this

Or maybe looking for something a bit more extreme (though this would difficult to do with a fast flowing falls, this was just a sort of slow moving creek with a few rocks for the water to flow over)
    Nikon D200 w/ battery grip
    Nikon D50
    Nikon D70
    SB-600
    SB-800
    Nikon 50mm
    Nikkon 18-55
    Sigma 28-90
    Sigma 55-200
    Sigma 70-300
    Sigma 50-500
    Feisol CM-1471 Monopod