+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: For those that thought HD video in 5D Mark II was silly...

Images

For those that thought HD video in 5D Mark II was silly...

A famous photographer was paid $5K to make a film with a pre-production 5D Mark II. I have to say this is pretty impressive. They've just posted the production here... http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/

Scroll down to "Without Further Ado". The first clip is a "behind the scenes" clip that was shot with a pro video camera... the main film is all with the 5D Mark II. Creates some interesting possibilities with the lenses. I am kind of impressed by this. It also says this was reduced to 1/4 resolution.

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter..."
    Ansel Adams

"... So don't choke and screw it up!" Me

Mike Collins

Canon 5DMk3 (gripped), 17-40L f/4, 24-70L f/2.8 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 100 f/2.8 Macro, 135L f/2, 200L f/1.8, TC1.4 II, TC2 III, 600EX-RT (2), ST-E3-RT
    Sigma 15 f/2.8 Fisheye

Images
    Sorry I still think its silly... its not photography... I dont think that it does *bad* video or whatever... I just think its an added feature (that I am sure that they ALL are going to eventually have) that takes away from it being a STILL camera...
    Ross Mealey
    Canon Professional Services Member

Images
    Just something to think about. One of the most important people in every movie... and who gets a big print credit in the opening segment, usually the last name shown before the movie starts... is the Director of Photography. For many years I was confused why you'd need a photographer in making a movie. Then after some research, I found out that this guy is the one that decides on the composition of each film segment, the exposure, the depth of field, the white balance, etc. Sounds like photography to me, no? We live in a changing world and need to embrace that change or get run over by it. I'm sure there were plenty of people that stuck to their guns (and still do) on film vs. digital. Learning how to use motion vs. still will be the next thing that photographers will be learning how to embrace I guess. I'm just hoping that we don't get to the point (but I know we will eventually) where to capture a still image you just need to grab a high resolution frame from video. We are no where near that point right now, but in ten years? Sports photography may actually disappear as a trade if (when) this happens.

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter..."
    Ansel Adams

Mike Collins

Canon 5DMk3 (gripped), 17-40L f/4, 24-70L f/2.8 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 100 f/2.8 Macro, 135L f/2, 200L f/1.8, TC1.4 II, TC2 III, 600EX-RT (2), ST-E3-RT
    Sigma 15 f/2.8 Fisheye

Images
    I can't see the video for some reason, I'm going to try again later, but I think you're right. Everything moves forward and develops into something else, we either have to move forward with it and accept it or just stay where we are and unfortunately at a professional level that means loosing out on business because the regular everyday customer will wonder why you can't do something the next guy can, and they must be better because they can and do offer it... That's the way the world works especially with technology moving the way it does now.
    D90
    18-105mm
    50mm 1.8
    Flash

Back in the game... and switching sides...

Images
    KDN, you need to scroll down and click on the link I think. The embedded video on the top of the landing page didn't do anything for me either.

And by the way, I'm not really all that interested in video in a DSLR either... just in case anyone mis-judged my personal view on this from the thread title. I was just posting it because the quality of the video is pretty impressive.

Ansel Adams

Mike Collins

Sigma 15 f/2.8 Fisheye

Images
    Got it to work! That's some good video quality if you ask me!
    D90
    18-105mm
    50mm 1.8
    Flash

Images
    i dont really think its silly and its also a convience but, i just feel the pro doesnt need it, or at least the majority of pros dont need it.. and i will stand by my "just one more weak link to break" theory.. And the only true reason is that Nikon did it so Canon HAS to follow.. this is gonna be a great addition for some but a waste of time and space for others.. What next? firmware with Spide solitare in it? lol
    Canon EOS 30D With grip, various lenses and stuff...

see my pics at www.brokenfencephotography.com

Visit me on Facebook..

Feel like helping some homeless Pets?
    the proceds from any of the products purchased go
    directly to helping CT animal shelters.
    www.helpwillysfriends.com.org

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by convergent
    I was just posting it because the quality of the video is pretty impressive.
    There is no doubt on that one... actually in taking a step back it surprises me that it was put on the 5D though... I think the 1-Series would have been better suited since the 5D isnt all that armored... isnt water resistant (as much as the 1-Series) and isnt really as "accepted" in the PJ field as the 1-Series is...
    Ross Mealey
    Canon Professional Services Member

Images
    i also think the video quality is great and being able to use all those L lenses is a real plus..

Ross, I think the reason its on this cam prolly has to do with the fact that Canon is prolly looking to sell more of these to sports parents and techies more than the working pro who would usually go for the 1D series..
    Canon EOS 30D With grip, various lenses and stuff...

see my pics at www.brokenfencephotography.com

Visit me on Facebook..

Feel like helping some homeless Pets?
    the proceds from any of the products purchased go
    directly to helping CT animal shelters.
    www.helpwillysfriends.com.org

Images
    LOL What's wrong with spider solitaire on my camera that would be awesome!
    D90
    18-105mm
    50mm 1.8
    Flash

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information