+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My FIRST website!!!! ***YEAH***

Images
    looks pretty good to me, we all start out with something simple and free i think. i use smugmug now because i can do a lot with it and dont have to know a ton about programing to make it happen.
    http://www.dslocum-photography.com

Nikon D300
    Nikon 18-200VR
    Sigma 70-200 f/2.8
    Nikon SB-600

Images
    Nice site Jamie! I'd agree with the others about the ads - more professional without them. Also, does the site allow you to password protect galleries? Some folks might not want all of their wedding, etc. shots out there for the world to see. All in all, a very good first site though.
    Rick
    "Regret is just a memory, written on my brow, and there's nothing I can do about it now."
    Willie Nelson

Gear List
    Charter Oak Photographic Society - West Hartford, CT

Images
    great looking site J.. not bad looking and i had no problems on my end with it.. everything looks good. signed the book also!
    Canon EOS 30D With grip, various lenses and stuff...

see my pics at www.brokenfencephotography.com

Visit me on Facebook..

Feel like helping some homeless Pets?
    the proceds from any of the products purchased go
    directly to helping CT animal shelters.
    www.helpwillysfriends.com.org

Images
    I tested the page on Windows and Mac. It seems to have a problem on Firefox on the Mac, which is the browser I use most of the time. Unfortunately, web page development constantly has to deal with browser differences. There is probably something non-standard in the markup language for the page that the other browsers are letting slide. You might try adding a carriage return in there to see if it clears it.

Here is a screen print of what I see.
    Attached Images

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter..."
    Ansel Adams

"... So don't choke and screw it up!" Me

Mike Collins

Canon 5DMk3 (gripped), 17-40L f/4, 24-70L f/2.8 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 100 f/2.8 Macro, 135L f/2, 200L f/1.8, TC1.4 II, TC2 III, 600EX-RT (2), ST-E3-RT
    Sigma 15 f/2.8 Fisheye

Quote Originally Posted by convergent
    I tested the page on Windows and Mac. It seems to have a problem on Firefox on the Mac, which is the browser I use most of the time. Unfortunately, web page development constantly has to deal with browser differences. There is probably something non-standard in the markup language for the page that the other browsers are letting slide. You might try adding a carriage return in there to see if it clears it.

Here is a screen print of what I see.
    Wow Mike, thanks for showing me that. I really wish I knew how to fix it for everyone to see it the right way. However, I have no idea what adding a carriage return means......I just followed the "help me build my site" on freewebs.
    www.flickr.com/photos/oldnavy170

Canon XTi
    Canon 85mm 1.8 Prime Lens
    Canon 50mm 1.8 Prime Lens
    Sigma 28-70mm 2.8-4.0 Wide Angle Lens
    Canon 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Sigma 500 DG Flash
    Continuous Lights (Generic Brand )

Quote Originally Posted by rfreschner
    Nice site Jamie! I'd agree with the others about the ads - more professional without them. Also, does the site allow you to password protect galleries? Some folks might not want all of their wedding, etc. shots out there for the world to see. All in all, a very good first site though.
    Yes, I can make galleries and password protect them. The ones I have listed now are all done with permission so I'm good now. Of course I only wanted to show my best for all new clients to look at. Thanks for the checking it out and I hope this site will help build my small business.

Canon XTi
    Canon 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Sigma 500 DG Flash

Quote Originally Posted by zacker
    great looking site J.. not bad looking and i had no problems on my end with it.. everything looks good. signed the book also!
    Thanks Zacky for signing my guestbook.

Canon XTi
    Canon 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Sigma 500 DG Flash

Images
    I took a look at your source code and it looks like you may have generated the page code with a tool or program because there are a lot of extra tags and such in there. You probably won't have a ton of people visiting the site with a Mac, but as you get further into this you may want to look at cleaning the code up a little, or having someone help you do it. If you generate code with a tool, unfortunately as you make changes it adds and takes away lots of tags and usually ends up with a bunch of redundant ones. Some browsers can get bent out of shape with that. It can also cause you to run into a situation where you make a seamingly simple change to your page, and all of a sudden it breaks everything.

The best way to cleanit up is backup your page the way it is, and then start experimenting with taking tags out. Tags are ALWAYS done in pairs... an opening tag, and then a closing tag called the same thing with a "/" in it. As you go through the code you can start to organize it and group them with indents to understand what is probably not doing anything. The less code the better, and you could probably take out half the tags in there and still have the page look the way it does now. Experimenting like this is a great way to learn. As you work with a tag, Google it and you can easily find an explanation of the tag and how it works. Over time you will be able to modify what you want without a generator, but just manually changing your tags. That keeps the code much cleaner and avoids browser issues.

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter..."
    Ansel Adams

Mike Collins

Canon 5DMk3 (gripped), 17-40L f/4, 24-70L f/2.8 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 100 f/2.8 Macro, 135L f/2, 200L f/1.8, TC1.4 II, TC2 III, 600EX-RT (2), ST-E3-RT
    Sigma 15 f/2.8 Fisheye

Images
    Might have issues on firefox, but I was able to view it just fine in Safari.
    Thomas T. "Tommy" Warshaw III
    Click here to view my photos.

RIP Thomas T. Warshaw Jr.
    17 August 1959 - 4 March 2008

FTM-PTB

Images
    Yeh, me too.

Ansel Adams

Mike Collins

Sigma 15 f/2.8 Fisheye

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information