+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Room237 @ Toad's

Room237 @ Toad's

Rest are here: http://libanophotos.com/room237/toads/

Images
    nice series, i like the motion in 1 and 3.
    http://www.dslocum-photography.com

Nikon D300
    Nikon 18-200VR
    Sigma 70-200 f/2.8
    Nikon SB-600

Last one is my fave because the guitar looks transparent toward the top of the neck, though the spot on his head is a little distracting.

How well is the flash (a cardinal sin from what I read) received by the bands when you use it? ...or do they ask you to come shoot them in which case I am guessing they wouldn't care too much.

My camera is all packed up () but only 3 more days till I get to make the 1/2 day trek out to Albany and get shooting again!

I understand it's a cardinal sin -- I asked on POTN a while back and all I received for replies was "just buy faster glass"

That's not the look these metal/hardcore/whatever (read: "newer") bands are going for. I was asked to come to New Haven and shoot just these guys. I left right after. They were yelling at me in between songs to get up on stage with them, so I did to get a wide-angle shot of the drummer. Something he NEVER gets because he's always buried in the back of the stage where there's poor lighting. I've shot bands without flash in the past, and that's fun too -- but when you're shooting a local band that's using the lighting equipment that everyone else is using, it won't be enough. They're dull lights that have been sitting up in the rafters since that place has probably opened. And let me tell you, they love leaving the red lights on more often (I guess it makes the band more scary I'm not sure). The reds will kill low-light shots for you.

If I was covering a bigger band with brighter lights, I'd leave my flash at home and just shoot like normal. (But where's the fun in that?)

Images
    what you need is a fast lens... get a 200 f 1.8. and a 1dMKIII thats all...

lol,lol,lol... great shots J.. i like em all. I know Toads is a really badly lit joint, lord knows i have been there enough.. lol
    Canon EOS 30D With grip, various lenses and stuff...

see my pics at www.brokenfencephotography.com

Visit me on Facebook..

Feel like helping some homeless Pets?
    the proceds from any of the products purchased go
    directly to helping CT animal shelters.
    www.helpwillysfriends.com.org

Ugh, the red gel. Bane of my existence. I completely stopped shooting at places around here that predominantly used them as main lighting (and didn't have dynamic lighting rigs). Luckily there are so many venues around here that I could get picky...not sure if I will have the same luxury in Albany.

OMG, look at the vein popping out of his head in #4.........scary!!! LOL!!!! Still a nice job on the shots.
    www.flickr.com/photos/oldnavy170

Canon XTi
    Canon 85mm 1.8 Prime Lens
    Canon 50mm 1.8 Prime Lens
    Sigma 28-70mm 2.8-4.0 Wide Angle Lens
    Canon 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Sigma 500 DG Flash
    Continuous Lights (Generic Brand )

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information