+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lenovo announces laptop for photographers - W700

Images

Lenovo announces laptop for photographers - W700

This looks like a great announcement for photographers. Lenovo has announced a new laptop aimed specifically at photographers and graphics designers. It is a very beefy laptop in terms of horsepower, but they didn't stop there. It will be available with a 17" wide color gamut display that can produce 72% of the Adobe RGB gamut. Most laptops produce less than half that many colors. It will also be available with a built-in color calibrator and Wacom digital tablet. Another great feature is you can configure it with two internal hard drives, with one being solid state (this would be ideal for a scratch disk for Photoshop). This should make a very impressive workstation for photographers that need to be mobile. I'll keep an eye out for "friends and family" pricing and post info when I see something.

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter..."
    Ansel Adams

"... So don't choke and screw it up!" Me

Mike Collins

Canon 5DMk3 (gripped), 17-40L f/4, 24-70L f/2.8 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 100 f/2.8 Macro, 135L f/2, 200L f/1.8, TC1.4 II, TC2 III, 600EX-RT (2), ST-E3-RT
    Sigma 15 f/2.8 Fisheye

Images
    wow..... that sounds like it will give Apple a run for its $$$ .. must be a tiny little tablet huh?
    Canon EOS 30D With grip, various lenses and stuff...

see my pics at www.brokenfencephotography.com

Visit me on Facebook..

Feel like helping some homeless Pets?
    the proceds from any of the products purchased go
    directly to helping CT animal shelters.
    www.helpwillysfriends.com.org

Images
    sounds like a cool setup, any specs out yet?
    http://www.dslocum-photography.com

Nikon D300
    Nikon 18-200VR
    Sigma 70-200 f/2.8
    Nikon SB-600

Images
    Here is a live video of it... http://www.notebooks.com/2008/08/11/...ad-yet-videos/ (there are actually 3 videos... keep scrolling down)

At first, its hard to see the tablet, but keep watching and the lighting gets better. This thing is pretty amazing and pretty much as powerful as a desktop.

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter..."
    Ansel Adams

Mike Collins

Canon 5DMk3 (gripped), 17-40L f/4, 24-70L f/2.8 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 100 f/2.8 Macro, 135L f/2, 200L f/1.8, TC1.4 II, TC2 III, 600EX-RT (2), ST-E3-RT
    Sigma 15 f/2.8 Fisheye

Sounds great but I can only imagine what the price will be. I still think it will cost a pretty penny!
    www.flickr.com/photos/oldnavy170

Canon XTi
    Canon 85mm 1.8 Prime Lens
    Canon 50mm 1.8 Prime Lens
    Sigma 28-70mm 2.8-4.0 Wide Angle Lens
    Canon 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Sigma 500 DG Flash
    Continuous Lights (Generic Brand )

Images
    I believe that article set the price range from $2500-5000 for the retail price. Not sure what the street price or "friends and family" price will be. Thats a lot of money, but really considering what they've packed into this thing to make it a desktop powered machine... its not that far out of line. My daughter bought a reasonably basic machine last year and it ended up at $1500... nothing that fancy. We compared an Apple and it would have been $2500 for the same basic stuff. This is definitely not designed to just be a consumer laptop, thats for sure.

Ansel Adams

Mike Collins

Sigma 15 f/2.8 Fisheye

Images
    Sounds like you got off easy with your daughter, Mike.

My son is going off to college next month and wants a MacBook Pro.

This is the same guy who, years ago, complained bitterly when I went with Mac instead of a PC.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Horn

This is the same guy who, years ago, complained bitterly when I went with Mac instead of a PC.
    Tell him he isnt a pro yet as he is still only in college... so he gets a regular Mac Book..lol
    Canon EOS 30D With grip, various lenses and stuff...

see my pics at www.brokenfencephotography.com

Visit me on Facebook..

Feel like helping some homeless Pets?
    the proceds from any of the products purchased go
    directly to helping CT animal shelters.
    www.helpwillysfriends.com.org

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Horn

Actually it was her money. So she got to make the decision on whether she wanted to spend $1500 or $2500. In fairness on the price comparisons, both of these included 3 years protection/warranty and MS Office in that price. Dell (before I started my boycott) was roughly the same price as Lenovo/IBM (with the employee discount) and Apple was $1000 more for the same hardware specs and features.

Ansel Adams

Mike Collins

Sigma 15 f/2.8 Fisheye

I was looking at the specs and I think it is a good option to the apple but I still believe that Apple rules the roast for graphics and photography.

The Lenovo is a Windows Vista machine and Vista just doesn't play well with Adobe. The specs are impressive but not enough to steer me from a Mac for my next machine.
    ~ Rock
    My Site | Flash Over Images | The Long Grind

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~Ansel Adams

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information