+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mid Hudson Bridge photoshoot?

Images

Mid Hudson Bridge photoshoot?

Would anyone be interested in doing a Mid Hudson Bridge photoshoot meetup? It is the bridge that crosses the Hudson connecting Highland and Poughkeepsie. I shot some stuff there today and yesterday, this place has a lot of different photo ops. There is a pedestrian walkway you can cross the bridge on, great views of the Hudson. There is a train track that runs under the bridge on the West side of the river (though I have only been there once when I train comes, I always se them when I get there or when I am leaving, or on the other side of the bridge) but we may get lucky. There is also a train bridge, not used, that you can shoot from the bridge. The bridge itself has some great photo ops also. They have a small park where you can park your car to access the pedestrian walkway across the bridge. I will be posting some stuff later tonight that I shot there so you guys can check the place out. Really is a neat place to shoot, something different anyway. If there is any interest out there we can pick a date. Just an idea, but might be a fun afternoon.

Images
    That sounds like a great idea. I didn't realize all those opportunities were around it. Most bridges are now so "secure" that I wouldn't think you could walk on it. That is one big bridge too...

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter..."
    Ansel Adams

"... So don't choke and screw it up!" Me

Mike Collins

Canon 5DMk3 (gripped), 17-40L f/4, 24-70L f/2.8 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 100 f/2.8 Macro, 135L f/2, 200L f/1.8, TC1.4 II, TC2 III, 600EX-RT (2), ST-E3-RT
    Sigma 15 f/2.8 Fisheye

Images
    I have shot there several times, never had a problem. See other shooting there also. Most people use it for excersize mostly, joggers, speed walkers, that sort of thing. Now I am not sure if we had a bunch of people if that would make a difference. There are no signs anywhere saying anything about no cameras. It is a big bridge, we can just spread out.They just close the park and the bridge walkway at dusk. That cuts out any good night shooting ops. It is defenetely open to the public. They even have 2 "overlooks" built onto the walkway that stick out from the actuall walkway, great spot for shooting. There is a fence, but that only extends about the first 30 yards of the bridge, basically over the road and train track. The fence ends right above the tracks.

I am not so sure I would use a tripod there though, the bridge shakes a bit (sometimes a lot) when the cars, and big trucks go by. I have never used a tripod there.

Posted some photos from this location in the architecture secion of the forum.

4. Hudson Bridge is really an amazing bridge. Its total length is 3000 feet. This bridge crosses the River Hudson. It presents beautiful views when the lights of bridge reflect in the river. That's why people like to take photographs at night as it is really spectacular shooting spot. Some people use tripod to take perfect photographs. In the early January, ice covers the river and its beauty grabs the attention of the visitors. . Sometimes, Bridge shakes due to heavy traffic. Shaking of bridge could be really dangerous. I wanted to share some architectural photos of it but as you know i'm a new member so i don't have access to do it.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information