+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Campobello Island

Campobello Island

I have just returned from my first trip to Campobello Island and have to say that it is a fantastic spot for photo taking. I was able to shoot four light houses and several coastal shots from the Island. There are drivable trails all over the Island along with a lot of walking trails. A must do if you are in the area. Crossing the border can be "interesting". You need a passport or certified copy of your birth cert., not to get on the Island but to get back in the USA. Getting on the Island is very easy and I was not checked either of the two times I crossed over. Getting back to the US is where it gets "interesting". I guess it depends on who is doing the checking, the first time it was just a quick check, pop the trunk, he takes a very quick look and that was it. The second time I thought I was going to have a major problem! I was informed by the woman at the gate that I was supposed to declare items valued over $200.00 before I crossed to the Island. I was just given a verbal talk but it could have been a disaster with all the photo gear in the car! If you go DO stop on the US side and claim your gear!
    Ken
    Canon EOS 40D
    Sigma 70-300 F4-5.6 DG Macro
    Canon 50MM f/1.8
    Canon 28-135 IS USM
    Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6
    Sigma 50-500 F4-6.3 APO DG
    Sigma 105 F2.8 DG Macro
    Various filters
    More to come as the wallet allows.
    web site at http://meyankeephotos.com/

Images
    thanks Ken, well at least its good to know that our borders are secure... i like the fact that they at least checked the trunk... wouldnt want you sneaking in any ileagle islanders to steal all our jobs!!!!

lol,lol.. where is this island? canada?
    Canon EOS 30D With grip, various lenses and stuff...

see my pics at www.brokenfencephotography.com

Visit me on Facebook..

Feel like helping some homeless Pets?
    the proceds from any of the products purchased go
    directly to helping CT animal shelters.
    www.helpwillysfriends.com.org

3. cameras at the border

There are no camera stores on Campobello Island. This woman seems to be bucking for a promotion more than anything else. The other border guards do not harrass people about their cameras.

Campobello Island and Lubec are a photographer's paradise. I have lived here for 6 or so years and love every minute of it.

chessie

Images
    sounds nice...

The guard is prolly just a bit over zelouse and thinks shes doing her country a great thing, wich she prolly is in a way.. Ahhh the price of freedom.. lol
    so is this island Canadian?
    Canon EOS 30D With grip, various lenses and stuff...

see my pics at www.brokenfencephotography.com

Visit me on Facebook..

Feel like helping some homeless Pets?
    the proceds from any of the products purchased go
    directly to helping CT animal shelters.
    www.helpwillysfriends.com.org

5. Campobello Island is Canadian

Go there thru Lubec (Easternmost town in US), across FDR Memorial International Bridge. Ferries from Campobello to Deer Island (Canadian) and ferries from there to Eastport (easternmost city in US) and New Brunswick mainland. Lots of lighthouses in our area.

For photos: http://sunriseoncampobello.com
    http://campobelloislandclub.com

chessie

This was my first, but not last, trip over to the Island. A cousin of mine who lives in Lubec was my "tour guide" for this trip but he can not do much walking so we did not hit any of the walking trails. I do plan on going back and really exploring the Island. Of course I will have a list of my camera gear and declare it before I go over in case I run into that woman again I have been told that locals will bring "goodies", cakes, cookies, etc, to the border guards unless that woman is on duty LOL
    Ken
    Canon EOS 40D
    Sigma 70-300 F4-5.6 DG Macro
    Canon 50MM f/1.8
    Canon 28-135 IS USM
    Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6
    Sigma 50-500 F4-6.3 APO DG
    Sigma 105 F2.8 DG Macro
    Various filters
    More to come as the wallet allows.
    web site at http://meyankeephotos.com/

+ Reply to Thread