+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need Suggestions for possible new FLASH!!!!!!

I use canon flashes, and I will say that I started with the 430Ex, and I have never wned to mix brands, so I eventualy got the 580EX II to be the master. I am planning some out door work with it to try some new shoot styles with it. But I have yet to get out to do that till march.

I would recomend the 430 EX its my main weapon of choice for some no BS shooting, and constantly messing with the flash, and its REALLY cool, as it will get the signal from the onboard flash of your camera (built in) with the 430 EX in slave mode.

Chris
    Camera DSLR Canon: Two Xti 400D
    Camera Sony:
    5.1 Cyber-Shot (Point & Shoot)
    Glass:
    Tamron 28-80mm F3.5-F5.6 | Tamron AF 75-300mm F4 - F5.6 | Sigma AF 50mm F2.8 DG Macro | Sigma AF 105mm F2.8 DG Macro | Sigma AF 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG | Sigma 20-40mm F2.8 DG Asphirical | Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 APO EX DG Macro | Sigma APO Tele Converter 1.4x EX DG |
    Grear: Sekonic Exposure Meter L-380B | Tripod Manfrotto 785B - Modo | Tripod Manfrotto 3011BN + Manfrotto 3265 Pistol Grip | Speedlight 430 EX Flash with LumiQuest Softbox | Two 5-in-1 Bounce Reflectors | Four(4) 1800 Ultra - White Lightning Strobes with lots of light modifyers and filters | Muslin Backdrops | 14 Various Light Stands & Booms | 20 Gigs of CF Cards (various sizes) |

NAPP Member since 2000

Chris M Carroll
    StudioCMC
    Bear, Delaware

Quote Originally Posted by zacker
    i think the 430ex might not be as strong as the 500 (eg?) sigma but i could be wrong... how much is a better beamer? those are supposed to work well.
    Yeah, I wish I did know this because I wouldn't want to buy the 430 just to find out it works the same as my Sigma....
    www.flickr.com/photos/oldnavy170

Canon XTi
    Canon 85mm 1.8 Prime Lens
    Canon 50mm 1.8 Prime Lens
    Sigma 28-70mm 2.8-4.0 Wide Angle Lens
    Canon 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Sigma 500 DG Flash
    Continuous Lights (Generic Brand )

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy170
    Yeah, I wish I did know this because I wouldn't want to buy the 430 just to find out it works the same as my Sigma....
    I don't know much about Sigma flashes, but a quick search of Canon and Sigma websites shows the 430EX with a GN of 141 ft at ISO 100 and the Sigma EF 500 DG ST (don't know if this is your exact model) with a GN of 165 ft. Not sure if we're comparing apples to apples here but, on the surface, it looks like the Sigma is stronger.
    Rick
    "Regret is just a memory, written on my brow, and there's nothing I can do about it now."
    Willie Nelson

Gear List
    Charter Oak Photographic Society - West Hartford, CT

Ok, this may be a dumb question but is there another way to add more light along with using my existing flash? It would have to be something I could carry around with me (not like my new studio lights).

Canon XTi
    Canon 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Sigma 500 DG Flash

Quote Originally Posted by rfreschner
    I don't know much about Sigma flashes, but a quick search of Canon and Sigma websites shows the 430EX with a GN of 141 ft at ISO 100 and the Sigma EF 500 DG ST (don't know if this is your exact model) with a GN of 165 ft. Not sure if we're comparing apples to apples here but, on the surface, it looks like the Sigma is stronger.
    Yeap, thats the one I own. Well thanks for researching that for me. Its been a great flash, I was just seeing if there was another out there that was stronger then mine.

Canon XTi
    Canon 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Sigma 500 DG Flash

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information