PDA

View Full Version : Softbox assembly

JustinL
11-28-2007, 03:12 PM
So I didn't listen. I have had this 6ft softbox laying around since march with no speedring. Well I finally picked up an AB speedring, and I should have listened! I read that the larger the sofbox, the harder it is to put together.

Any tips on this? I have 3 of the 4 corner rods connected to the speedring:doh

StudioCMC
11-28-2007, 03:33 PM
Uh.. Well in my experiance, stick the pole on the floor, and wedge it next to your shoe that your standing at, and bend the pole (flex it) into the speed ring socket.

I find that cussing seems to help, I can PM you some 'Choice Words' that I use when I assemble it, and the "Extra Choice Words" that I use to remove the first pole from the speed ring - If ya want..

Just make sure the metal tip fits into the speedring first, then it's all down to the flex bend and cuss method..

I know exactly what your talking about..

Chris

zacker
11-28-2007, 03:57 PM
lol... photos, we want photos... or better yet, video...lol

nvr2low
11-28-2007, 04:20 PM
lol... photos, we want photos... or better yet, video...lol

yes, a video would be great, it would be educational for us who have never put one together.

Orgnoi1
11-28-2007, 05:50 PM
I find that cussing seems to help

LOL that helps with EVERYTHING... I too want to see a video of this being done... =)

StudioCMC
11-29-2007, 09:50 AM
Seriously justin, its like setting up a pop-up tent the ones with fiberglass poles.

Place the 4th poll into the corner of the softbox (Make sure it's in the little cloth loop) and make sure the tip is at the very bottom, usualy this has some velcro around it to add further modifications to it.

Once your sure the fiber glass pole is in the sleeve. Place the soft box on the floor and bend the fiber glass pole towards the speedring. This will take some force to get it to move in towards the hole. (This is where I usualy begin cussing, and wondering what rocket moron came up with this idea.)

Anyways, it also helps to flex the speed ring downwards to let the pole sort force its way into the hole, once you get it started it will self guide.

Be carefull inf your speed ring is plastic, I try to buy metal or the industrial plastic types As they are able to take the abuse.

Working on cold conditions makes it that much tougher.. LOL

Let us know if you got it.

Chris

JustinL
11-29-2007, 11:21 AM
1st of all, I will NOT be putting a video together so you guys can then submit it to the strobist! LOL

I'll try again tonight, the funny part is that I'm trying to assemble this inside my basement. I'm sure once I get it assembled, I'll want to take it out back to practice...but this thing is so big I doubt I'll get it up the stairs! HAHAHAH The rods have me scared, they're made of aluminum and are 2 piece making me thing they're even more fragile than I'm thinking.

convergent
11-30-2007, 01:31 AM
My experience has been the same as Chris's. I usually do two poles that are close together on one end. Then I flip it upside down and stick the other two in. Are you sure that your parts are meant to work together.

By the way, if you think putting it together is fun, wait until you go to take it apart. Its pretty hard to get the poles back out of the speedring sometimes since they are pretty much forced in there by the pressure of the thing being held together.

zacker
11-30-2007, 06:43 AM
lol..... good luck Justin, thats all i can offer.. I do, however, have a really sweet torch set up for cutting steel... that might help!