PDA

View Full Version : Computer Question... Backing up Outlook?

Orgnoi1
11-21-2007, 09:23 AM
Ok... its almost time for me to redo this computer and put a fresh install of WinBlows on it...

So my question is... I havent ever had to back up Outlook... how do I do it?

convergent
11-21-2007, 09:55 AM
Its actually quite easy. You need to just backup the data file(s). Go into Outlook and do a >File>Open>Outlook Data File. This will show you the location of the main file. Its probably called something like Outlook.pst. Using the file dialog, you can find out the location of it. In my case, its at c:\Documents and Settings\Mike\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\. In my case I have one main PST file, and two archive files. Not sure why I have two, but I do. Once you copy the file, you use >File>Data File Management to tell Outlook which files to use.

Orgnoi1
11-21-2007, 09:56 AM
Thanks Mike... can you also use this for setting up another computer with those files so that it should have them all on there... and is that also the settings and contacts for accounts?

zacker
11-21-2007, 09:57 AM
See Ross? its Simple!!!

lol
good luck!

convergent
11-21-2007, 10:39 AM
Thanks Mike... can you also use this for setting up another computer with those files so that it should have them all on there... and is that also the settings and contacts for accounts?

Ross, I don't believe it is the accounts and settings... that stuff is stored in the registry as far as I know. You can use this for setting up a new computer, but you have to use that second part to get it to work correctly. There some Microsoft mysteries in this, which is how I ended up with two archive files instead of one. I have my mail archive after its a month or so old to cut down on the loading and response times while using Outlook. As you are probably aware, there is also a size limit on the file... after which it starts to just silently reject new mail. I forget if its 1GB or 4GB... think its 1GB.