PDA

View Full Version : LCD Moniters

zacker
11-13-2007, 08:03 AM
Well, Im on the B&H site looking at LCD monitors to replace my dinly 15" that came with my Dell and my wifes 17" VGA thats taking up tons of real estate on her desk... i was thinking 20" square for ehr, mostly will be used for her work, proof reading so its a good size and i figure all the files she reads are not wide so a square one would be better... no?

For me i was thinking of a 22" wide but.... whats better for photography? wide or regular? im thinking non wide screen, unless i could afford a 30" ..lol the 22 wide looks to be about the same height as the 20" regular so it wouldnt really make a difference as id STILL have to move the photo around to see the top or bottom..id just gain room on the sides right? can you guys look at these two and let me know if they are good for Photographgy? thanks!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart_accessories&A=details&Q=&sku=462476&is=REG

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart_accessories&A=details&Q=&sku=492698&is=REG

stoneylonesome
11-13-2007, 08:13 AM
Proof reading I would look into the 19" wide that you can rotate 90d that way it better fits most written works, if you are editing 2 pages side by side you can always turn it back. For you now I would recommend a 10" round. :D :D

One of the guys I worked with had the 22" wide and it is BIG. I think that one would work great.

zacker
11-13-2007, 09:21 AM
there will be no rotating of the monitors..thank you very much!!

DO they make a 10" round one?? i was hoping to get the old school green lit ones... you know like the really old ones before windows was invented..lol

stoneylonesome
11-13-2007, 09:37 AM
there will be no rotating of the monitors..thank you very much!!

DO they make a 10" round one?? i was hoping to get the old school green lit ones... you know like the really old ones before windows was invented..lol

I'm sure you can still find a green monitor, pretty cheap too.
:D

What you don't like the Idea of being able to rotate a moniter? they're pretty slick, I know Dell has one.

zacker
11-13-2007, 09:45 AM
i dont like it cause its one more thing that can break... lol and its prolly way to much $$ for what it actually is.

Just a standard LCD is fine as long as its built to last and sharp and clear. Now, if they had one that made coffee we could talk.

zacker
11-13-2007, 04:33 PM
anyone else using LCD's? so do i go wide or regular for photto editing?

nvr2low
11-13-2007, 04:41 PM
personaly i would go wide, i have dual 20" lcd's at work and its great to streach a photo all the way accross. you still have to scroll up and down, but imo more realestate is better. i think im going to save up for a 30" or bigger to try and get an entire photo on a screen at as close to 100% resolution as i can.

JayVig
11-13-2007, 05:05 PM
I'm on dual 19"s at home. I got a pair of LG monitors and they're widescreen. I love them. and I agree... it may not help with the up and down scrolling but it gives a ton more room - especially like in photoshop where you can have the full width of the photo with room for toolbars and stuff too. I have a single 24" wide at work which is nice but i'll take dual 19s first any day.

zacker
11-13-2007, 08:31 PM
so a 22 wide should be fine or even a 20 wide? i was just thinking there would be empty space on either side of the screen... right now im on a 15" lcd and it works but its kinda small!! anyone have a screen shot of PS with a photo open on a 20 22 or 24 wide screen they could post?? or one of Jays 19's??

JayVig
11-14-2007, 03:20 PM
i can get some screen shots for you later

JUMPquick
11-14-2007, 10:47 PM
I have this one:
http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/xseries/vx2035wm/

I really like it.... I had to get it after I got too spoiled by the dual-monitor I had at work... it's kinda like dual-monitors but... not... LOL. (Now if only I could afford another one!)

twoshadows
11-15-2007, 12:05 AM
I use a 19" LaCie and I'm very happy with it

zacker
11-15-2007, 07:08 AM
thanks guys... im just wondering if a wide screen is over kill for photos. id hate to have wasted space on the sides of the screen or worse, a "squished" view because the image is being forced onto a wider, shorter screen...

nvr2low
11-15-2007, 07:46 AM
wider is better!

JUMPquick
11-15-2007, 08:52 AM
Yeah, wider is way better.... you'll probably grow to dislike the standard display after a short time using a wide.

convergent
11-15-2007, 09:03 AM
I think this depends a lot on what you shoot. I do mostly sports and so 95% of my images are in portrait orientation. A widescreen LCD is actually not the best for this, because you give up height for width. The benefit, though, is that you can situate your image on the screen, and then have your tools and other things beside it. I have used dual displays for a while now, and would take two non-wide displays over one wide one if I had a choice. To give you an idea just how much wide cost you... my 30" widescreen display is the same height as my 20" non-widescreen display (turned sideways). I use the 30" and a vertical 20" non-widescreen together and they work great together. So my vote would be for a pair of 20" non-widescreens.

If you are going to use these for photo editing, you should also spend some time understanding the technology... all LCDs are not the same. The lower end ones don't render colors properly and will make it difficult to use for photo editing. Its been a while since I was looking at them, but the S-IPS panels I believe are good for photo editing. At one point, Dell's higher end (still cheap) 20" non-widescreen was S-IPS... not sure if it still is.

nvr2low
11-15-2007, 09:10 AM
i dont know how your computer is set up, but if you are shooting portarait cant you turn your wide screen sideways so its taller than it is wide? i know alot of the software guys here at work do that so they can get more code on the screen, seams like it would work for editing also.

JUMPquick
11-15-2007, 09:26 AM
If your video card supports it, you can change the orientation of the screen on the monitor in the control panel.... I've got an Nvidia card and it allows me to do that...

Is the stand set up to accommodate the flip or is it.... rigged up?

Orgnoi1
11-15-2007, 11:40 AM
I am currently running 2 non-widescreen 20" Viewsonics... I would never go back to a single screen unless it was 30" or larger... I also find that I wouldnt want widescreens unless they were at least as tall as my 20" non-ws's are... I use all of both screens all the time...

JayVig
11-15-2007, 11:47 AM
Here is what I have - http://us.lge.com/products/model/detail/computer%20products_lcd%20monitors_full%20line%20o f%20lcd%20monitors_L196WTQ-BF.jhtml

I love them and I don't feel a vertical loss due to the widescreen at all. Then again, most of my pics are landscape so I can't be sure. Even at 19" i love having 2 and both being wide. I can, also, rotate the monitor and use the vid card to rotate the picture in cases where I need lots of vertical room - I also do this for viewing extreme amounts of code.

zacker
11-15-2007, 12:32 PM
Hmmm well i definetly dont have the $$ for three monitors..lol I was just wanting to know if i did get a 22 wide, would my on screen graphics look the same or will they be squished and stretched? or would they be the same as i have now on my non wide, but with two big empty spaces along each side? can ANYONE post a screen shot of PS opened on their wide screen with a phot open like they are editing it? Please?
lol

JayVig
11-15-2007, 12:39 PM
I can do that at some point. The answer to your question is... depends on your resolution. You put 1024x768 or 1280x1024 on a widescreen and it will not be proportioned correctly at all. I'm on 1440x900 which is a high widescreen resolution so nothing is stretched to fit. it's adjusted to meet a 16:9 ratio instead of a 4:3. make more sense?

zacker
11-15-2007, 12:42 PM
yeah... thanks Jay!

JayVig
11-15-2007, 12:47 PM
let me add onto that a little bit. you can still set your monitor to 1280x1024 (a 4:3 ratio) if you want for a particular reason (not sure why) and depending on the monitor and/or vid card you can choose to stretch to fit or to get the black bars (like on TV). so there's some versatility as well.

StudioCMC
11-15-2007, 12:51 PM
I bought this one, sold because it's a true 8 Bit display.. 6 Bit is pushing artificial colors. So be carefull when choosing.

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/xseries/vx2435wm/

Chris

StudioCMC
11-15-2007, 12:54 PM
Here's the scoopie:

http://compreviews.about.com/od/multimedia/a/LCDColor.htm

Chris