Orgnoi1
11-09-2007, 09:51 AM
Please critique...

"One if by land, and two if by sea..."

http://www.northeastfoto.com/gallery/files/4/3/2007_10_08-R08.jpg
Canon 1D Mark II, Canon 24-70L @ 24mm, 1/320", f/9, ISO400

Irishpub3
11-09-2007, 10:27 AM
Overall Effect - Great "mood" shot, nice ambience, gives off an alone (not lonely) sort of waiting, mildly turbulent feeling

Composition - Excellent

Framing and Copyright Selections - Excellent, they compliment the photo very well

Color scheme and processing effects - Good

Lighting - It's a tiny bit too dark, but I have lighting/contrast issues on this computer here at work so that might be what it is (I'll look again later at home and see how it looks from there)

Orgnoi1
11-09-2007, 10:30 AM
Thanks Trish... it IS a dark shot... even darker once done with the moody action... its just right (for me) on a calibrated monitor but I can DEFINATELY see where it would be too dark on a normal monitor... most of my shots are dark at work too...

convergent
11-09-2007, 10:55 AM
Great house for someone that doesn't like to do yard work, or likes to fish.

nvr2low
11-09-2007, 11:53 AM
Thanks Trish... it IS a dark shot... even darker once done with the moody action... its just right (for me) on a calibrated monitor but I can DEFINATELY see where it would be too dark on a normal monitor... most of my shots are dark at work too...

ya, its too dark and grainy on my work monitors, but i know these monitors i have at work are on the dark side.

StudioCMC
11-09-2007, 12:41 PM
Dark>

Suggestions:
Remove the tower on the hill top, and clean that up.

Make a copy of the image (Photoshop) and set the new copy layer to Pin Light.

This will drive the intensity of the colors that do show, and keep the darks brooding in the background.

If the light is too intense, use the Fill Slider, and set it to 50 % to 75% depending on the intensity of the white.

I see the effect your going after, I would use an USM as the very LAST thing.

I love this hous, and the whole feel of this shot! Great work Ross!

Chris

zacker
11-09-2007, 01:27 PM
nice Ross, what does a slight curves adjustment do fo it? i like the darkness of it, makes it very moody!!!

KDN
11-10-2007, 10:13 AM
I love it, but I have to say it's a tad to dark on my monitor as well, but I'm over due for calibration, so maybe that's not helping. I'm with Chris on the tower and possibly the power lines, though they are hard to make out. I love the bird on the left, perfect timing :)

oldnavy170
11-10-2007, 09:36 PM
I have never seen a house in the middle of the water. I like the gloomy feel it has and your border truely makes this shot a winner!!!!

NYracefan
04-29-2008, 10:06 PM
Is that the lighthouse on the Hudson River near Kingston,NY?

brittonx
04-29-2008, 11:19 PM
I like this one a lot.
I like the way the house pops out. It's almost 3D.

I would agree with Chris in that you should remove the cell tower.

Orgnoi1
04-30-2008, 05:56 AM
Yup thats the lighthouse down in Kingston (up in Kingston for you Jeff...LOL)... Britton I try not to make too many material edits on a shot... meaning aside from dust spots I usually never do any cloning... I guess its just the photojournalistic side of me when I shoot...

brittonx
04-30-2008, 06:42 AM
Ross,
I respect that greatly. I am usually pretty resistent to making those kinds of edits as well. Depends on the ultimate purpose of the image.