PDA

View Full Version : New Model Images, Please Critque!

StudioCMC
10-30-2007, 09:32 AM
Hey all,

Well, I add my comments, I would appreciate yours too! (Good or bad) I got thick skin.

Yes, these are "Family Friendly Images"! :D

Please have a look, and give me your Critque's for these few images. This is Brittany, a local model here in Delaware, this is my 2nd time working with her.

Image #1

http://www.studiocmc.com/models/Brittany_07_001.jpg

Image #2

http://www.studiocmc.com/models/Brittany_07_004.jpg

Image #3

http://www.studiocmc.com/models/Brittany_07_014.jpg

I am struggeling with some white balance issues with my new monitor, what does these look like on yours?

Note: There is intentional Vignetting in the corners. :D

Orgnoi1
10-30-2007, 10:05 AM
I think WB wise you are all set... skin tones look good... the only thing you may want to do is soften her face *just* slightly... #2 looks good... but 1 and 3 you can see the applied makeup... now granted I have no clue what I am talking about when it comes to models... but thats just what I am seeing... other than that I think they look great.... great job on them!

StudioCMC
10-30-2007, 10:38 AM
Thanks Ross.. Yeah.. I dunno know what the deal is with women who think "Sparkles" miked into the makeup looks good.. When you shoot it, the sparkles come back as white flecks.. And it looks like they rolled in the lint mill or something..

I'll try some "Glossy Glamor" effects next! Many thanks! ;)

Chris

convergent
10-30-2007, 10:40 AM
Nice work. If you are putting a portfolio together for Seniors, I'd put these in there as I'm sure any high school girl would love to have shots like these of herself.

As for critique, to my eye, the first two could benefit from a catchlight in the eye, but thats a purely personal preference thing. Then the other nit is that the second one has a piece of hair across the middle of her face on the left, which should be pretty easy to process out.

Great work.

Barry Horn
10-30-2007, 11:47 AM
No. 1 is super. Absolutely love the confident, right-at-you expression. I like the pose in No. 2, but not the facial expression. Too visible makeup in No.3.
Overall, wow. You should get a lot of senior photo work.

Irishpub3
10-30-2007, 12:01 PM
Overall, the shots look great... I'd give you an "A" for quality and style... nice skin tones and color balance... I don't see and WB problems either... as for nit-picky comments, #1 is great, I cant find anything I would change... #2, the hair across the face can sometimes be an appealing look but not sure if you were going for that here... there's only 1 hair at a wierd angle, so it looks odd and should be cloned out like Mike said - OR - have her straggle a lock of hair off to one side of her face or something for affect... #3, I agree with Ross the make up stands out too much and gives her a harsh look, I would soften up her face or draw back a little so not so close...

StudioCMC
10-30-2007, 12:14 PM
Many thanks Mike, Barry & Trish.

I see the makeup too, but its this "Glitter Stuff" thats giving that strange look.

I'll re-postwork this, as well as the hair across the face, As I look at it more it was interesting, but as you all point out, its distracting.. I'll nix that tonight.

Thanks all, I REALLY encourage the hard and Heavy Critque's, the only way we get better is to know how people truly feel, as it helps me to see things that you folks see..

The hair, would have nver been considered an issue, unless you folks told me about how it impacts you visiualy.

So, THANKS! :D
Chris

zacker
10-30-2007, 12:20 PM
I like em Chris, in # 1, id see if i could get a touch more lighting to her hair, esp the top where it sorta melds into the BG, maybe a reflector would have done it? or a soft light on her left?

..WB? maybe just a hair too warm, im seeing that her white sweater in #1 and #2 is a touch orange, im sure no one would have notice had you not said anything though..

#2, yeah, the stray hairs gotta go.. pose it great, and the location (for all three) rocks.

# 3 is awesome! I think its too sharp though, maybe a virtual facial scrub to soften it up? you can see pores.. (what lens did you use? this is sharp as a tack!! ) the eyes would also pop with a touch of lightening.. (and some visene to get the red out..lol) but im being overly fussy cause, its not my pic...lol

StudioCMC
10-30-2007, 12:27 PM
My man THAT is EXACTLY what I want.. Tell it to me streight! Thanks Craig!

I Want these images to POP! =)

Chris

oldnavy170
10-30-2007, 09:35 PM
Wow, I think you did an amazing job!!!! I can't say anything bad about these shots at all!

Teresa221
10-31-2007, 01:37 AM
The skintones are off - too much red and possibly yellow (though, by the looks of #3, I'm strongly suspecting that the yellow may have to do with her choice in makeup).

A reflector would have really helped fill in light on her face in #1 and #2. It's an easy fix now though - just give it a good mid tone boost with curves. Be very careful doing that with #1 though, because that spot on her hair is already blown.

I'm not a complete expert on posing, but I know the basics. Something about #2 feels a bit off to me. Like it's making her look thicker around the middle than I can see she is. I'm not totally sure if its the angle of her hips, or the way her legs are, or possibly the way her arm is cutting across her body. I know for creating nice shape and slenderness, you are supposed to keep their arms seperated from their body at least a few inches. Keeping their arms in close creates a "boxy" feel.

I love the composition on # 3.

You should probably invest in Portraiture or even Mama Shan's Powders (that is what I use) for skin smoothing and "perfecting". Since you shoot mainly models, it will probably really help your workflow to have an easy fix for skin. Plus, it gives it that polished, professional look that most models would probably want.

Overall I'd say nice job. Nothing that really can't be fixed in post processing.

StudioCMC
10-31-2007, 09:08 AM
OldNavy> Many thanks :D

Teresa> You are goddess! Thanks so much for the info on the powder, and all of Mama Shan's tools!

Skintones> This is what I am seeing too. I have a low end Viewsonic at work, and its only a 6 bit display. My home display is an 8 Bit, and it is color ballanced. To me I see some Reds & Greens. I post worked this in Bridge, under RAW. But I am not sure I have filtered out enough grey, for the White Balance.

I did not shoot with a Reflector, I am regretting that I chose not to shoot this with one now.

Posing> I have only my experiance, and some sitting pose books. I wanted the model to be relaxed, and we talked about pivoting her hips, to narrow the width of her visual hips. But the arm is in a poor choice, it does make her look stiff, and not relaxed.

Mama Shan's stuff, do you use all of her tools or just "Powder"?

Thanks again all for you input, it is really valuable to me. =)

Chris

Teresa221
10-31-2007, 10:25 AM
I just have the powder kit. I only use it occassionally on adult women and infants (baby acne and blotchy skin). I do sometimes use it on children if it's a noisy image or they have so much crud on their face that healing doesn't quite do the job :D

At the very least I'd suggest all the powders. You might have some use for some of the other actions though since you work with models.

And no problem :D I'm glad I can be helpful!

twoshadows
10-31-2007, 03:19 PM
Beatiful model, beatiful pics, Chris.

StudioCMC
10-31-2007, 07:30 PM
# 3 is awesome! I think its too sharp though, maybe a virtual facial scrub to soften it up? you can see pores.. (what lens did you use? this is sharp as a tack!! ) the eyes would also pop with a touch of lightening.. (and some visene to get the red out..lol) but im being overly fussy cause, its not my pic...lol
#1 & #2 were shot with the Sigma AF 105mm F2.8 DG Macro, I was about 20 Feet away from the model.

#3 was shot with a Sigma 20-40mm F2.8 DG Asphirical at about 3 foot away.

Sorry Craig, I didn't mean to blow you off, I just re-read the whole post after Ians comments.

:D

Chris

JustinL
10-31-2007, 08:50 PM
holy god i love these man. ALL of them. The 1st one stands out a lot