PDA

View Full Version : FS: Rockford Fosgate PUNCH 400S Amp

CruzinGirl
10-26-2007, 10:02 PM
I have a Rockford Fosgate PUNCH 400S Amp for sale. This was used in my 1996 Intrepid for about 6 months, worked fine and was pushing 2 12" subs in a competition bandpass box (already gone). It has been stored ever since on top of my wardrobe in my bedroom (never stored in any garage, basement, or any other damp place).

I am in need of cash right now and have decided to finally part with the last part of my original car system (my new car has a factory Monsoon system which rocks good enough for me these days).

As far as I know the amp is in working condition and is sold as is to the first offer.

$200 firm for anyone on the site. (If it doesn't go here it will go on craig's list for $250) I paid more than twice this for this amp new and can speak for the quality of Rockford Fosgate.

Ken_Allen
11-09-2007, 01:11 AM
What does this amp push out at 2ohms? I'm looking to buy two alpine type r 12' and I need a nice amp.

nvr2low
11-09-2007, 08:39 AM
What does this amp push out at 2ohms? I'm looking to buy two alpine type r 12' and I need a nice amp.

well, if it is anything like my old 800a2 it probably puts out about 500 watts at 2 ohms, but i dont know if they are the same quality that they used to be, been out of the car audio thing for 5 or 6 years now.

Ken_Allen
11-09-2007, 09:15 AM
well, if it is anything like my old 800a2 it probably puts out about 500 watts at 2 ohms, but i dont know if they are the same quality that they used to be, been out of the car audio thing for 5 or 6 years now.

Yeah I'm looking for something to push at least 400W RMS into the Type R's with 500W RMS.

Orgnoi1
11-09-2007, 09:20 AM
Here are the specs on the 400S

Punch 400S:
200 Watts X 2 Punch Amp

Specifications:Features:

stereo, bridged mono or Tri-Way output
200 watts x 2 at 2 ohms
400 watts x 1 in bridged mode
50-210 Hz high-pass/low-pass crossovers, 12 dB/octave
Variable Punch Bass (0-18 dB boost) at 45 Hz
MOSFET power supply and output devices
TOPAZ eliminates ground loop noise between the head unit and the amp.
NOMAD advanced protection circuitry that provides "intelligent" shut-down protection without limiting system performance
TRANS-ana circuit keeps preamp signal clean
MEHSA transfers heat efficiently for high performance

Ken_Allen
11-09-2007, 09:52 AM
Here are the specs on the 400S

Punch 400S:
200 Watts X 2 Punch Amp

Specifications:Features:
stereo, bridged mono or Tri-Way output
200 watts x 2 at 2 ohms
400 watts x 1 in bridged mode
50-210 Hz high-pass/low-pass crossovers, 12 dB/octave
Variable Punch Bass (0-18 dB boost) at 45 Hz
MOSFET power supply and output devices
TOPAZ eliminates ground loop noise between the head unit and the amp.
NOMAD advanced protection circuitry that provides "intelligent" shut-down protection without limiting system performance
TRANS-ana circuit keeps preamp signal clean
MEHSA transfers heat efficiently for high performance
Thanks!

Sorry I'm not interested though CruzinGirl . :(

nvr2low
11-09-2007, 11:59 AM
just remember its not always about the numbers with car audio, 400 watts rms out of a california special are not the same 400 watts that a phoenix gold puts out. you get what you pay for, and typicaly if you are not paying $1/watt your not getting the true wattage you are looking for in a sub amp. atleast that is the old rule of thumb. you are going to want an amp that puts up big numbers in the 20hz-100hz range, alot of the manufacturer specs are for up in the Khz range in order to make their amps look more apealing.

Orgnoi1
11-09-2007, 12:16 PM
Also along those same lines since we are talking numbers and real life...

To get 3db more level out of a subwoofer you need to double the actual output power of the amplifier. So the difference between 200w and 400w is only 3db in an ideal condition. Most times you cant even tell the difference without a Real Time Analyizer (RTA) of 3db.

Its been about the same amount of time since I was into car audio as Derric... and I never competed in SPL competitions but in Sound Quality with IASCA.

nvr2low
11-09-2007, 12:36 PM
i did a couple dbl drags back in the day, they never did sq comps around me. the 3db has always made me wonder how much power team gates was running in their bronco, i hit a 136 with 900 watts. i think they where hitting 176 if i remember correctly, so in theroy they had to be running over 12,000 watts more than me. no wonder they have stacks of yellow tops in all those crazzy db cars.

Ken_Allen
11-09-2007, 03:29 PM
just remember its not always about the numbers with car audio, 400 watts rms out of a california special are not the same 400 watts that a phoenix gold puts out. you get what you pay for, and typicaly if you are not paying $1/watt your not getting the true wattage you are looking for in a sub amp. atleast that is the old rule of thumb. you are going to want an amp that puts up big numbers in the 20hz-100hz range, alot of the manufacturer specs are for up in the Khz range in order to make their amps look more apealing.

I was actually looking at US Amps...they're what I've heard from pro's, the best amps they've ever used. They give out true wattage.

Orgnoi1
11-09-2007, 03:57 PM
i did a couple dbl drags back in the day, they never did sq comps around me. the 3db has always made me wonder how much power team gates was running in their bronco, i hit a 136 with 900 watts. i think they where hitting 176 if i remember correctly, so in theroy they had to be running over 12,000 watts more than me. no wonder they have stacks of yellow tops in all those crazzy db cars.

I was at 131.xdb with my car... it was plenty for me though... Alma Gates used to be (maybe still is) friends with the guys from my old car club...

One of the cars from the club was way up around 162db on unweighted SPL... it was terrible to sit in the car for more than a second... that was in a dodge shadow with a wall... and Orion 12dvc's powered by Soundstream high current amps... running cool at 1/4ohm each...

nvr2low
11-09-2007, 05:42 PM
I was at 131.xdb with my car... it was plenty for me though... Alma Gates used to be (maybe still is) friends with the guys from my old car club...

One of the cars from the club was way up around 162db on unweighted SPL... it was terrible to sit in the car for more than a second... that was in a dodge shadow with a wall... and Orion 12dvc's powered by Soundstream high current amps... running cool at 1/4ohm each...

orion 12dvc's and soundstream amps, those where the days!

136 wasnt quite enough for me, i would have been happy with a little more, like 145-150. of course that was getting expensive since i have to have highs to match.

from what i have heard us amps made some badda#$ stuff a few years back, but i have been out of it so i dont know what they are up to now.

Ken_Allen
11-09-2007, 06:37 PM

I have a 88 dodge shadow (39,000 miles) with 6x9 type s's in the back and type r 5.25 components in the front...boy does the shadow own in acoustics.

I know a guy with 12 RE Audio XXX series subs in the back of his truck.

I'm looking at one JL W7 12" or two alpine type r 12". I heard one 10" W7 will not allow you to be in the car :happy

nvr2low
11-10-2007, 09:33 AM
your gonna need to spend some cash to run w7's. first off they are about $600 each, then you need a good amp to push them, i know they can take 1000 watts each. no cheap amp power either. unless you just want pounding loud bass i would try to find something a little more sq orinted and not so much spl orinted.

CruzinGirl
11-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Thanks for posting up the specs for me Ross!

Ken, I can tell you that I pushed 2 12" high end pioneers in a competition band pass box (can't remember the exact specs on them & I already sold them to my little bro so I can't look)....they were in the back of my intrepid & without bridging the amp I had more than I could have ever wanted (and had to re-tighten the bolts that held my seat down and my trunk on, lol.

Someone also mentioned that the manuf. specs are not always the max for amps pushed, and this is def true for the rockford fosgate. Really I'm just looking to hook someone up with a good amp since I'll most likely ever use it again.

nvr2low
11-11-2007, 10:10 AM
did you get a birth sheet with the amp? rockford used to do that, said my 800a2 really pushed 920 watts instead of 800. i can only imagine how that would have sounded in a small hatch.

CruzinGirl
11-13-2007, 12:14 PM
did you get a birth sheet with the amp? rockford used to do that, said my 800a2 really pushed 920 watts instead of 800. i can only imagine how that would have sounded in a small hatch.

I still have the original box & I think the paperwork is in it....I'll have to look when I get home tonight.

If anyone is seriously interested let me know....if this doesn't move for friends soon I'm going to throw it up on craigslist.

Ken_Allen
11-13-2007, 03:27 PM
your gonna need to spend some cash to run w7's. first off they are about $600 each, then you need a good amp to push them, i know they can take 1000 watts each. no cheap amp power either. unless you just want pounding loud bass i would try to find something a little more sq orinted and not so much spl orinted.

Yeah...one 12" would be fine for me, though I think one sub always looks really bad.

nvr2low
11-13-2007, 04:36 PM
Yeah...one 12" would be fine for me, though I think one sub always looks really bad.

build a custom box that fits the car and it will look fine. if you are that conserned about how it looks then you shouldnt be considering top of the line spl subs like the w7's

Orgnoi1
11-13-2007, 04:39 PM

Just remember that a normal trunk of a car does not have enough displacement to run 2 12" woofers efficiently... hatch backs or using bandpass boxes have an advantage in small areas... I know that when I was running my first bandpass 12 and a bridged 300w Alpine amp I was doing 130db and it was deep and resonant... when I went to two in a normal in a sealed box and while it was punchy... even with the proper displacement it was too little external displacement in the trunk of the car I was running

nvr2low
11-13-2007, 05:45 PM
watch out for bandpass boxes though, the only music they are really good for is rap/hiphop. they are very sloppy, if you want good tight bass for rock/metal or any music like that a sealed box is the way to go.