PDA

View Full Version : 3157N Quick Release Plate

KDN
10-18-2007, 05:02 PM
I bought an extra plate for my camera, but for some reason it doesn't want to hold my camera well... The screw looking thing (not the one that screws on to the camera) interferes so if I put my camera in the portrait position it wants to unscrew from the main screw... is anyone understanding this LOL. I want to shoot some tank shots, but that requires my camera to be pointed straight down at the water and I'm afraid it will loosen and fall into the water, any ideas why it's doing this, I never had this problem with my XT, maybe I bought a different plate, or is it something to do with the 40D? Here's a photo from B+H to show you what I mean, it's the little black screw thing in the photo...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/179175-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_3157N_RC2_Quick_Release_Plate.html

StudioCMC
10-18-2007, 07:47 PM
Take out the Little Screw, thats usualy used for a quick disconnect plate. All you need is the main (Camera) screw to use the plate.

And no, I had no clue what your talking about, untill you showed me the picture. :D

Chris

zacker
10-18-2007, 07:58 PM
K, I had no idea you were fluent in Chinese!!!

KDN
10-18-2007, 08:05 PM
LOL You guys suck! :D

Chris I can't just take out the screw though, it's got an unremovable stopper on it, I'm sure my husband could just file it right off, but I just figured if it was unremovable it was there for a reason, though what I don't know, besides messing me up

StudioCMC
10-18-2007, 08:22 PM
Tech Support: "It has a 'Stopper'
Customer (K): "Yes, it won't come out"
Tech Support: "Ok , mam, I am going to have to escalate this to a level two technicnian."
Customer (K): "Can they tell me about the stopper?"
Tech Support: "Yes mam, its a man, and he can help with those little stoppers"
Customer (K): "Ok, beacues if I drop my camera into the fish tank, he's... my husband would burry me under our new house.."
Tech Support: " I understand mam, I think Men design those just to throw us off."
Customer (K): " I think its a conspiracy!"
Tech Support: " I agree mam.. please hold.."

Music------ Music-----

Phone picks up: (a Male's voice) "Level two tech support, this is 'Buck' how can I help you?"
Customer (K): " Yes, I can't get this small screw out of my Bogen camera plate.. it's got a stopper on it."
L2CS: "Uh, just yank it out, or smack it with a hammer, thats all we do down here..... Is there anything else I can do for ya?"
Customer (K): "Uh no, no thanks.. Bye"
L2CS: "Thank you for calling Bogen, advanced photgraphy engeneering! *CLICK*"

See that, no magic to it! :D

KDN
10-18-2007, 08:27 PM
:lmao

LMAO!!!!
Chris that was hilarious!!!!

StudioCMC
10-18-2007, 08:30 PM
It's a general rule of men, if it doesent fit.. make it.. :D

Yeah give it to hubby to decode..

The screw needs to come out. See if the manual that came with the tripod cover this..

Other than that.. its time for the hubby to visit the workshop..
Chris

KDN
10-18-2007, 08:32 PM
As my husband always says... "if you can't fix it you need a bigger hammer"

StudioCMC
10-18-2007, 08:33 PM
SEEEEE!!! Would I lie!!

convergent
10-19-2007, 12:05 AM
OK, I've used those plates before, but I can't fully understand what you are talking about to be honest. I will discuss one thing I've had problems with, and maybe that's what your problem is... if not, let me know where I'm off base. I've noticed that the plate has a little bump in it which leads you to believe that its supposed to be faced out for the lever to lock in against. If you mount it that way, it won't tighten up. If you flip it around 180, then you can lock it tight enough to hold just about anything.

zacker
10-19-2007, 06:55 AM
K, dont take this the wrong way but, is the plate mounted in the right direction? i use it also and never had a problem...ever. I cant, for the life of me imagine whats wrong here.... lol does your cam have a grip yet? maybe its the grip although, i have no problem with mine with the grip on.. Hmmmmm..

KDN
10-19-2007, 07:11 AM
Nope, I have it mounted right, do you have a spot for that black piece to fit into on your camera? I can't remember if I did or not on the XT, but I never had problems with it on that camera or the grip for it, though I don't have a grip yet for the 40D so maybe I'll have to look into one of those :)

zacker
10-19-2007, 07:24 AM
ni dont... ill have to go look at mine to see if its actually the same one. i dont remember that black thing on mine.

zacker
10-19-2007, 07:40 AM
ok, K what head did you get?
i have two, the Bogen 484RCR Mini for my Monopod and the 486RCR Compact for my Tripod.

Here is the plate mounted to the head, this is the same plate for both my heads, no black screw thing. and the holes in my plate arent threaded either (just an FYI)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/largeimages/272449.jpg photo credit. B&H photo / video

zacker
10-19-2007, 07:45 AM
Hmmmm funny, in the pic of the complete head / plate theres no black thing, and thats what I have but if you click on the "included items link" it showes the one KDN has.. So I guess they redesigned it (and added $4.00 to the price too...lol) KDN, call down to B&H and tell them the plate doesnt work because of that black piece... my camera (30D) and grip both do not have a hole for it to go into so I dont see why its even there.

zacker
10-19-2007, 07:46 AM
Id also say to try and smack it out with a hammer and a punch.. but dont do anything till you talk to B&H first... that aluminum plate could bend/warp or snap if you hit it wrong or too hard!