PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a 580EX II E-TTL II SPEEDLITE?

StudioCMC
10-08-2007, 09:58 AM
Well after a great day of shooting with some models for a comic book themed shoot that I have been building. I was shooting on a hill side and my camera did a hatefull "Gravity Test Check" The end result is my Speedlight 430EX took a hit, and snapped off the plastic arms from the hot shoe.

So I need to quickly replace the 430EX and I am looking at the new 580EX II E-TTL II SPEEDLITE. While I send out the 430EX for repairs.

Does anyone have this newer version? from the 550EX SPEEDLITE?

I have found it for $399.00, and thats a good deal. But I was looking for some hands on feedback.

Many thanks
StudioCMC
Chris

Teresa221
10-08-2007, 01:29 PM
I have it and am happy with it. I rarely use mine though - and only really use it for fill flash. I'd like to experiment with it more - but have only used it quite traditionally, on-camera.

My only complaint is recycle time - but I use regular batteries, and I know that can be remedied by using battery packs and such.

I also have nothing to compare it with since it was my first real flash (I had an old school vivitar one I used on my Canon SLR).

If you use your flash often - you should probably have 2 anyway (one for backup). And if you can get it at a good price, I say go for it.

zacker
10-09-2007, 07:42 AM
Chris, all I hear about it are good things... havent heard any complaints yet.

Orgnoi1
10-09-2007, 09:32 AM
I have two of the original 580ex's and they are nice... the new one adds a couple nicer features... I wouldnt hesitate to buy a 580ex again...and as far as recycle times the canon battery pack is a "must have" if you use flash guns a lot... both for macro or normal hotshoes... recycle times are reduced to 0...

convergent
10-09-2007, 05:29 PM
Well if you check the sticky in this forum, there is a guide that I need to update that covers all but the newest one. The differences on the 580EX II vs. the 580EX are that a) is weather proofed like the 1 series bodies, and b) it can be controlled from the camera on the Mark III. So if you don't have a Mark III, then the 580EX would be equivalent to the II as far as I know.

JustinL
10-10-2007, 07:33 AM
I have a 580EX II and put it through the tests last weekend while shooting a wedding. I shot full power almost all day and had NO problems. We used the Quantum battery pack, so recycle time wasn't an issue.

I have read a few places that it drains 1 battery quicker than the other 3 when using AA sized cells inside of it.

Another pro... it has a Sync port!!! FINALLY CANON DID IT!

Orgnoi1
10-10-2007, 11:10 AM
Since the battery pack deal was brought up I posted up a little mini review on the Canon mounted battery pack here:
http://northeastfoto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9331

StudioCMC
10-10-2007, 01:11 PM
MMM lots go good info here, thanks so much for the information everyone!

I'm going to shoot with a "renter" this weekend, I'll let you know how things work out.

Also Teresa> I usualy use this to fill in as well but I hav found some neet tricks to try out with the 2nd flash. It's interesting that you get such good results with the onboard flash. :D

Chris

StudioCMC
10-10-2007, 01:27 PM
Ross> How does this attach to the bottom of the camera (the battery expansion pack) Velcro?

Chris

Orgnoi1
10-10-2007, 01:31 PM
Ross> How does this attach to the bottom of the camera (the battery expansion pack) Velcro?

Chris

It mounts two ways... either to the tripod mount or via a belt loop case (included)... so as with the review I stated you lose the ability to mount a tripod if you are using this... BUT one addition to that... if you have a Kirk or RRS L bracket with your camera that has the side tripod mount screw hole you can mount it there as well....

Teresa221
10-10-2007, 06:30 PM
Also Teresa> I usualy use this to fill in as well but I hav found some neet tricks to try out with the 2nd flash. It's interesting that you get such good results with the onboard flash. :D

Chris

I do bounce it - or use my "fonginator" if I'm outside :rolleyes: I usually dial it down pretty low too.

I prefer to use my reflector if at all possible. Flash is usually my last resort.

convergent
10-10-2007, 06:38 PM
I also use the Quantum packs... Turbo Compact. Can't say anything bad about it. The only time I've ever run them dry was when I use them to strobe a gym so they are going at full power for a game or two.

StudioCMC
10-12-2007, 10:18 AM
Well as an update to this thread,

I will seriously consider the Quantum Pack.

I eneded up working with a wedding tog for a Thursday night shoot. I used a Metz 60CT4, and the 580EX II.

The Metz was a great flash unit, but it had a 6.5 pound battery pack. It had exeptional quality but it was very heavy, I had to pack a battery around with a belt pack. LOL.

The shoot was an industrial area, and some spaces were confined areas. Thus it did not work out. But the flash did. I would show some images.. But they are not NEF family Friendly works ;).

I have ordered the 580EX II, I did this because it's actualy lighter than the original 580EX, as well the foot or plate is made of metal, this might have saved the 430EX, as the hot shoe mount is plastic.

Once I also get the 580 EXII I can slave my 430EX. Which I really want to do as Justin does with his car shots. I think that effect is really nice.

Thanks all for the input, it really is nice to get some solid opinions, and observations, as well as Ross's tutorials, what a bonus that was. :D

Thanks
Chris

JustinL
10-12-2007, 11:04 AM
Not family friendly?

PM me these!!!

The only thing I'd keep in mind when using one as a slave is that you'll have to make sure the flash units are pointing towards each other since Canon uses infrared beams with their flashs (also keeping ETTL compatibility as well). When using them outdoors, it can be tricky for one flash to communicate with the others if it's bright out.

I think there's a link off of the Strobist site for someone who uses Canon flashes and the ST-E2 a lot. I wish I could find it for you but they blocked the Strobist here at work :(