PDA

View Full Version : A very, very bad Photoshop day(s)

convergent
09-27-2007, 12:06 PM
You know you are having a bad couple of days when this happens. I spent about four hours creating a 26x21" composite for a client... including portraits and text. Not all that complex, but just a lot of layout, alignment, etc. I saved it, and then went back the next day to edit it and received an error. I was able to open only the embedded flattened file, not the layered PSD. Ugh. A bunch of googling and such, cleared the PS settings and decided it must have been a fluke. Last night I spent fours again recreating it. Guess what. Same result, except this time it wouldn't even open the composite version, so I got nothing.

Initial Error - "Unknown data has been encountered reading layer "...layer name..." and will be discarded. Continue?"
Second Try Error - "Could not complete your request because the file is not compatible with this version of Photoshop"
Second Try Saved as Tiff - "The file uses an unsupported blending mode. Substitute normal mode?" (opened flattened only)

This morning I called Adobe and paid them $39 to get a support ticket. I spent an hour or so uploading the failed images to them to have a look at. They first thought it was a bad font, but no luck. After a lot of trial and error, we concluded that I could recreate the problem if I simply opened a new PSD file, inserted text, and then replicated that layer by dragging it down onto the new icon. Then save the file as a PSD, and it won't reopen. So the tech did some checking. In the end she had me take the folder

"/Documents and Settings/MyUserName/Application Data/Adobe/Photoshop/9.0/Adobe Photoshop CS2 Settings" and move it to my desktop, effectively deleting it as far as Photoshop was concerned.

That fixed it. So about 10 or 11 wasted hours and $39, and now I can tenatively start this project over... for the third time! :(

JayVig
09-27-2007, 12:13 PM
That's a pain, but it's better than a fluke that will strike for no reason. At least you know what caused it and how to get around it in the future.

zacker
09-27-2007, 12:27 PM
thats it, start it, finish it and dont save the .PSD file... that'll teach it.
lol

Sorry to hear about that Mike, but like Jason said, better now that you know whats happening.. I was working on a pretty big (lots of layers) composite image one sat. morning and BOOM>> we lost power.. I didnt even have a chance to try and save it..lol and then to add insult to injury, I went to DD to get coffee and ended up having to get coffee and donuts for half the neighborhood!! GRrrrrrrr...

JayVig
09-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Look at my RAW Image Task situation. I've PP'd and posted several photos lately. I opened ZoomBrowser and then RAW Image Task as part of my workflow and no problems at all. It all worked fine. Then I closed it all and wanted to go back to a single file later and it crashed on me.

No rhyme or reason or pattern... well no discernable pattern anyway. So I just open it and then cross my fingers. It seems that a reboot does the trick most times but that's not even definite.

convergent
09-27-2007, 12:57 PM
thats it, start it, finish it and dont save the .PSD file... that'll teach it.
lol

Sorry to hear about that Mike, but like Jason said, better now that you know whats happening.. I was working on a pretty big (lots of layers) composite image one sat. morning and BOOM>> we lost power.. I didnt even have a chance to try and save it..lol and then to add insult to injury, I went to DD to get coffee and ended up having to get coffee and donuts for half the neighborhood!! GRrrrrrrr...

That's why my office computers are on a UPS... I've been saved on more than one occaision with that.

As for finishing it all in one setting, last night that's what I did... and I also saved a TIFF, but that wouldn't reopen either. I did manage to salavage the flattened layer in the TIFF, and assuming the client doesn't want any changes, I may just try to go with that. I need to flatten it for the lab anyways.