PDA

View Full Version : Hey Ross!! read Please!!

zacker
09-04-2007, 09:36 PM
Hey Ross, dont you have the G9? How is it for action? little league foot ball, base ball? can it handle anything moving? where does it lay between the pro1 and the 20D as far as shutter lag and shooting action?
Thanks!

Orgnoi1
09-05-2007, 05:21 AM
I have the G7... its pretty decent but does have shutter lag thats fairly substantial....its not as bad as some point and shoots I have seen but its still there..

zacker
09-05-2007, 07:07 AM
a friend of mine is looking for a good cam for his wife to take shots of their sons football games... she doesnt want a DSLR... she wants something small and purse friendly. she was looking at the G9..

They arent looking to get shots for anything but them selves... ya know, base ball, foot ball... the girls ballet stuff, im thinking the G9 would prolly work for the most part but then again, S5IS might be better because of the anti shake... Hmmmm... i already explained the difference between a P&S and a DSLR to them.

CruzinGirl
09-05-2007, 08:31 AM
I would suggest the Canon S3 IS. It can easily be set for point and shoot....has a "sports" setting on the dial (the little running man) that automatically senses and sets up the camera for taking action shots. I don't notice a shutter lag at all on this camera and have used it for action shots and band photos with good results. The benefit to it is also that it has IS (image stabilization) and I think its a 12x optical zoom, which gets a great shot. I took a pic of a fight at a River Rats Hockey game in Albany this past winter and zoomed in through the plexiglass to the fight across the arena and got an awesome shot. It runs about $300-$350 but is well worth the money in my opinion.

This isn't tiny, but if she uses a decent size purse she could put it in there....I have. I have also used the small camera bag that I have for it as my purse and just put my wallet in the camera bag.

zacker
09-05-2007, 08:38 AM
thanks Kim.... havent ruled out the SxIS cameras yet.. i think they like the G9 because of the 12 mp's and DigicIII processer... typical sales points stuff. Anyhow, I think the most important factors will be, fastest lag time, longest optical zoom I/Q and size... as for other options, they dont care, manual mode, macro, raw, hot shoe, it means nothing to them...lol

JayVig
09-05-2007, 09:22 AM
The benefit to it is also that it has IS (image stabilization) and I think its a 12x optical zoom, which gets a great shot.

Is the IS in this type of camera software/firmware based or is it in the lens?

stoneylonesome
09-05-2007, 11:41 AM
the S3-IS powershot has been replaced with the S5-IS and it looks pretty darn neat
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/495623-REG/Canon_2077B001_Powershot_S5_IS_Digital.html

Powershot S5 IS, 8.0 Megapixel, 12x Optical/4x Digital Zoom, Digital Camera

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/largeimages/495623.jpg

zacker
09-05-2007, 11:43 AM
yeah its a nce camera but i was hoping the G9 would be faster on the shutter lag time... oh well, ill give here two or three to choose from and wish her luck...lol

CruzinGirl
09-05-2007, 11:45 AM
Wow...and the price is still good!!! Although I'm sure you can get the S3 for cheaper now that the S5 is $350.

I'm not sure off the top of my head whether the IS is firmbased or in the lens...I'm sure its on the canon site though....I'm at work can can't really be online for "nonwork" stuff for too long or I would look it up.

stoneylonesome
09-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Wow...and the price is still good!!! Although I'm sure you can get the S3 for cheaper now that the S5 is $350.

I'm not sure off the top of my head whether the IS is firmbased or in the lens...I'm sure its on the canon site though....I'm at work can can't really be online for "nonwork" stuff for too long or I would look it up.

Price at Amazon.com for the S3-IS
Price:$294.91 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping

CruzinGirl
09-05-2007, 09:12 PM
Price at Amazon.com for the S3-IS
Price:$294.91 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping

Nice...honestly I'd go with the s3....especially for someone who isn't really into photography....it will do everything they could want and then some.

convergent
09-05-2007, 09:38 PM
a friend of mine is looking for a good cam for his wife to take shots of their sons football games... she doesnt want a DSLR... she wants something small and purse friendly. she was looking at the G9..

They arent looking to get shots for anything but them selves... ya know, base ball, foot ball... the girls ballet stuff, im thinking the G9 would prolly work for the most part but then again, S5IS might be better because of the anti shake... Hmmmm... i already explained the difference between a P&S and a DSLR to them.

Not to rain on your friends parade, but I think that any Point and Shoot is going to do poorly at what you are trying to do. Unless her son is playing college or pro football, I am assuming that they will be playing under the lights... which means really bad lighting and the need for shooting at very high ISO. Even if the games are during the day, football is a demanding sport to shoot. Baseball and ballet are going to have their own sets of issues. I would encourage your friend to consider a DSLR if sports is the objective. Otherwise they are going to spend a lot of money on a high end Point and Shoot and come away pretty disappointed... and ultimately end up with a DSLR anyways.

JayVig
09-06-2007, 10:39 AM
It all depends on the caliber shots they're hoping to walk away with. Some people just want to record memories and will never ever look at something like ISO no matter what. Getting a DSLR couldbe overwhelming in some cases. Sure, a DSLR will give a broader range of options resulting in better pictures but that's all contingent on someone learning the options and actually using them.

I've learned recently that while a DSLR will give everyone an opportunity to take better pictures from a technical standpoint, in some circumstances it'll just make it worse because it's hard to just pick it up and go (aka point and shoot), and the uniqueness of the person behind the lens to include knowledge level, interest and willingness to learn are just as important as what the camera can do before deciding.

Barry Horn
09-06-2007, 10:57 AM
I think Jay has a good point here. Some parents are content to take pre and post game shots and some during timeouts. When the action starts, they become spectators.

convergent
09-06-2007, 11:33 AM
I don't disagree with what you've said here... but... I've also spent a fair amount of time following discussions about shooting tough sports with high end point and shoot cameras (at DPR and other places) and can tell you that its not a good vs. great situation. Those cameras do not produce what even the most patient parent would want to bring home. I didn't get the message from the original question that they were looking for team and sideline shots... I got the message that they wanted to shoot the games. Night football is pretty hard even with a DSLR and high end glass. Its all but impossible with a point and shoot. I'd rather set the expectation with the person that they are not going to be able to shoot the game with a point and shoot camera so that their expectations are not set too high. I'd be pretty frustrated if I bought a $400-500 camera thinking I could shoot football with it, and came away with extremely noise, blurry, underexposed shots that weren't of any use. They might rather by a less expensive point and shoot and be content to be the spectator and not worry about trying to get game shots.

JayVig
09-06-2007, 11:40 AM
If Craig's representation of their requirements were accurate though... he said specifically that they do NOT want a DSLR and that it's something that's gotta be purse friendly.

So within that category is where I think we should focus our recommendations. I agree with waht you say about getting the shot Mike and understand that a DSLR is what you're gonna need to get the right settings to get the right shot. But for these people, a DSLR isn't where it's at as it's been outlined to us.

Orgnoi1
09-06-2007, 01:39 PM
I am going to post a neutral post because I feel neutral about it...

Which route to go specifically depends on the persons wants and needs for photography. We as photographers enjoy the hobby and use it for more than just capturing our son and/or daughter at the prom, or at the game etc... so we as photographers justify the expense, the weight, and we reap the benefits of having the tools that will usually more than adequately complete the job. Normal parents though are usually happy with a blurred picture just so they can say they have a picture of their son or daughter. Mike you said it yourself that someone stole a small image that had a huge copyright of yours on and printed it... that should say something as to the extent of a professional image some people will go for... or if they are so cheap they dont want to spend money when a pro is working the event. I see this kinda thing all the time and we are seasoned to believe if it isnt "picture perfect" it goes by way of the dodo bird...

I would say that the level these people are at (by what was said) that the G7, G9, or S5-IS will all do the specific job at hand... I would lean towards the S5 if they want it for sports due its better optics though (or even the S3-IS for that matter)... megapixels really only mean something to printing... and the same people buying a point and shoot arent going to go buy a Canon Pro9000 printer so I would say IF they print that an 8x10 will be stretching it...

zacker
09-06-2007, 01:53 PM
that the problem, they want a small P&S and dont want a dslr at all... with practice i know she'll get some good shots of the kids, remember, this is a bunch of 8 yo's on a field, they dont move too fast or all that much..lol i have seen shots from other parents with P&S cams, they arent too bad, i mean, for most of us here, they wouldnt be considered as keepers but to the moms and dads, they like em just fine.

Orgnoi1
09-06-2007, 01:59 PM
Well that is why I said the S3-IS or S5-IS... both are P&Ss about the size of a Pro-1... and give good images... the G7 or G9 will be fine too.. just that the zoom factors on them arent too great... I think my G7 is a "6x zoom" which works out to be like 135mm on a slr... thats not too much zoom where as the S3 has a 10-12x and reaches out to 432mm... all 4 cameras have IS...