PDA

View Full Version : Old Glory & Her Palmetto Son

JerseyMutt
08-03-2007, 10:31 PM
Just wanted to see what you guys and gals thought. Be honest. It's the only way I'll learn.

Caught this pair waving gently in the breeze while loading my gear back into my truck at the firehouse.

ISO200, 1/400 @ f18
PP was a mild USM and a 25% highlight adjustment (bottom right hand corner was a lot more washed out than it is now)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1097/1003115668_35f724bdc0_o.jpg

JerseyMutt
08-04-2007, 11:33 AM
Just thought I'd give this a bump in case it got lost in the shuffle. ;)

aceman152
08-04-2007, 12:12 PM
Ok I will give this a go since everyone else is scared too.....but take everythign I say and you might want to do the opposite ha.....

now looks like the sun was behind the flag not at your back, I think if it was at your back you wouldnt have the translucent effect on the flags which I am not a big fan of. The stars are something I like to see in their white color.

As far as being washed out it doesnt appear to be on my screen looks pretty even.

The flag pole appears to be slightly leaning left so maybe do a very small rotation to the right.

So all that being said I would have just taken the shot from the other side of the flag pole.

JerseyMutt
08-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Thanks Aaron. I can definitely take a look at doing a slight rotation. As far as shooting from the otherside, I know that some people don't like the translucent effect, but that's actually what I was going for here, hence why I shot it backlit.

Thanks for the suggestions though. :thumb

aceman152
08-04-2007, 12:17 PM
Anytime man.

J.W.
08-04-2007, 01:59 PM
i really like the backlighting also, pretty cool effect i think.

convergent
08-04-2007, 03:25 PM
Nice flags... they really pop out there.

nmh5028
08-05-2007, 02:31 AM
I'm not sure where I stand on the backlighting of the flags... I like it because its not something that I see a lot of, but at the same time I think the "power" that you get by having a flag on the photo is lost when it doesn't look strong and solid. Not sure if that makes sense to anyone else but I tried.

On another note, the dark color of the flagpole really pulls my eye in that direction. I know it would be hard to avoid with the backlight, but thats where my eyes are drawn every time I look at it.

Orgnoi1
08-05-2007, 06:45 AM
ok...

technically speaking I think just the rotation will enhance the shot slightly... so about a right (clockwise) rotation about .5 degrees... maybe even slightly less... I think (because I seem to be the one that REALLY likes contrast) I would drop the exposure by maybe 1/3rd to see if it brings down slightly the luminousity on the flags... it will add to the effect while keeping the backlighting... it may be a fix all for those that dont like the backlighting as much...

composition-wise and my opinion on it... is I like it... I know the sky isnt washed but could use the 1/3ec to even give it a little "richer" look... I do like the composition and the idea behind the shot... its funny and interesting to see how everyone looks at flag shots... makes for some interesting conversation... I would have never thought of the flag being non-translucent as a sign of being stronger... yet I can totally understand what was meant... :thumb

JerseyMutt
08-05-2007, 08:12 AM
Ross/nmh,

Thanks for your honest feedback. I'll definitely try some of the ideas suggested here.

zacker
08-05-2007, 08:14 PM
nice..different thogh, but nice...and the flags are facing the correct direction too....lol