PDA

View Full Version : Following my recent success...

SandPVRR
07-18-2007, 04:22 PM
How would anyone like to critique this one?
Thanks!
-Joey

Caption:
The only thing at the end of this rainbow, is an old switch stand.
While out looking for pots of gold and leprechauns, I found this
switch stand in Newport Junction, Maine. The branch to Dover Foxcroft
long gone, this switchstand guards the points of a switch to the past.
Even the industry this switch went to has passed into history. Through
summer's rain, and winter's snow this switch stand withers away in
silence, with not so much as a rail hooked to it.

Camera Info: Olympus E-500 Digital SLR - Handheld
Shot info: ISO 100, 1/80th, F5.6, 26 mm focal length
Image correction: Slight color tweaking, straightening and slight crop

zacker
07-18-2007, 07:38 PM
cool.. the arrow shows the way to the pot o gold!!

marshall
07-18-2007, 07:51 PM
I kinda wish the foreground, darker elements were brought up a little, but overall I like it, even with the centering. The curve of the rainbow adds a lot of dynamic interest.

StudioCMC
07-19-2007, 12:02 PM
It's a tick dark for me in the foreground..

What program do you use to edit your images?

Chris

SandPVRR
07-19-2007, 12:12 PM
It's a tick dark for me in the foreground..

What program do you use to edit your images?

Chris

Chris,
For heavy duty image editing I use the GIMP - (www.gimp.org) - but for minor color correction and cropping / straightening, I use Picasa, by Google - picasa.google.com - both of these are free (I'm not cheap I'm frugal!) and Picasa has the great advantage of being very easy to use as well as locating all files on my disk, functioning as an all in one e-mailer, basic editor, and organizer.
The other nice thing about Picasa is that it doesn't alter the original image - the changes are stored in a seperate file and applied every time the image in viewed - to 'keep' the changes, you have to export the file out of the program. The great thing about this is that I can go back and undo something if needed, years later.
Hope that helps!
-Joey

StudioCMC
07-19-2007, 12:25 PM
LOL, its only a question.. This is not a Tax audit.. :D

Can Gimp do color (by chanel) saturation? Or perhaps do a luminosity pass?

This would drive up the colors, and you would not lose the hug of the rainbow, but it will also wash away that darker look.

Chris

SandPVRR
07-19-2007, 01:33 PM
LOL, its only a question.. This is not a Tax audit.. :D

Can Gimp do color (by chanel) saturation? Or perhaps do a luminosity pass?

This would drive up the colors, and you would not lose the hug of the rainbow, but it will also wash away that darker look.

Chris

According to the tax law.. :-)

I'm looking right now - but to be honest - you should have seen the original - I've already tweaked this one.....

I don't see anything that resembles 'luminosity pass' - but I could be missing it - Try downloading it - www.gimp.org and see what you find.....
-Joey

StudioCMC
07-19-2007, 02:32 PM
According to the tax law.. :-)

I'm looking right now - but to be honest - you should have seen the original - I've already tweaked this one.....

I don't see anything that resembles 'luminosity pass' - but I could be missing it - Try downloading it - www.gimp.org (http://www.gimp.org) and see what you find.....
-Joey

Well, Im a photoshop user, so I am good with applications that I have already. Is there a .pdf file for the instructions??

Anyways, the point I was going to recomend was simply saturate the colors a bit more, then reduce the Black or shade tones down. Thats was all..

Chris

TomNanos
07-19-2007, 03:37 PM
How's this one look Joey?

Too dark for me too - the stand blends into the background too easily.

Minor tweak with CS2's Shadow/Highlight adjustment.

SandPVRR
07-20-2007, 09:48 AM
Tom, That looks good! Ok folks - going to do a bit of a gallery here on this one.....
First image is the original -unedited, unstraightened, etc...
Second image is my original edit, which I started this thread with.
Third is the Tom Nanos Edit
Last is my tweak using the Gimp's saturation and brightness tools.
I've put these all in one post for easy viewing :-)
The GIMP is not like Photoshop Elements or CS2/3 - it more resembles the classic photoshop - ie Version 7 - where most everything is possible, but it is manual...
Comments???
-Joey

cosmonaut
07-21-2007, 11:46 PM
I think it looks fine, just remove the power lines. What can I say I am just clone stamp happy.LOL