PDA

View Full Version : Softboxes for team photos?

twoshadows
07-17-2007, 01:53 PM
Hi All,

I'm looking at adding to my lonely 420EX and getting a 580EX and ST-e2 transmitter in the next few months. Among other things, I'd like to use this setup for taking team pics, esp indoors. I'd like to add some softboxes or some type of light modifier to soften the shadows and highlights. Anyone with any experience with this? I'm looking at the Lumiquest $30 dealies.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/32690-REG/LumiQuest_LQ925D_Softbox_for_Shoe_Mount_Flashes.ht ml

Any experience you'd like to relate or any help would be greatly appreciated.

convergent
07-17-2007, 02:46 PM
I haven't used them.. just used the LightsphereII which does pretty well for team photos. I can get pretty even lighting with a single 580EX and the Lightsphere. I have done indoor team photos a few times using 2 580EX strobes on lightstands, and then another one as the Master on the camera, but not flashing. The pictures I did that way were nice, but I honestly don't see that big of a difference to justify hauling all that other stuff out to get the shot. With the single setup, I can setup the team and grab the shot on the fly without having to be so careful with the lights. I may have to try what you are suggesting though because it sounds pretty good.

JayVig
07-17-2007, 02:51 PM
I was looking at the lightsphere the other day. You like it huh Mike? Do you use the dome as well? Did you get the clear or frosted lightsphere?

convergent
07-17-2007, 03:17 PM
Mine is an older one... I think its what they now call the frosted one, but I'm not positive. I use it with and without the dome depending on the setting. If you can bounce, you take the dome off... if you can't, you leave it on. It is pretty goofy looking which is the only thing I don't like about it. It seems to do a decent job of lighting things up though.

StudioCMC
07-17-2007, 03:20 PM
Ian,

I use this all the time, the only draw back to this soft box is that it mounts to your flash by using Velcro. So you need to stick on velcro onto your flash. As thats how it attaches to the flash it's self.

I have not used others, but I have seen the plastic caps. I was not impresed with those.. Other than a Fong, I would use these for your softbox of portable choice.

Chris

JayVig
07-17-2007, 03:45 PM
Mine is an older one... I think its what they now call the frosted one, but I'm not positive. I use it with and without the dome depending on the setting. If you can bounce, you take the dome off... if you can't, you leave it on. It is pretty goofy looking which is the only thing I don't like about it. It seems to do a decent job of lighting things up though.

I think it's goofy too but better looking than the toilet bowl style of the whaletail.

The clear one comes with the amber dome and the reflective dome that's got the silver reflector and the hole out of the top. If you just have the white dome, it's probably the frosted. I think that, as goofy as they are, they're probably good. You seem to like it as well. I think it's a good wash of light like a floodlight compared to a spotlight. Seems that edges and shadows soften up and REALLY comes in handy in front of folks with deep set eyes for instance.

430ex is coming soon and i think a fong is right behind it.

twoshadows
07-17-2007, 05:06 PM
Thanks Mike, Jay and Chris. It looks like I'm gonna go with the Lumiquest Softboxes, although I have a few months to figure it out. I may end up getting one Lumiquest and one Lightsphere II. Then I can see which I like better. :D

JayVig
07-17-2007, 05:24 PM
And whichever you like least you can sell at a considerable discount here on NEF.

zacker
07-17-2007, 09:23 PM
what about umbrellas Ian? or use an umbrella box...

twoshadows
07-17-2007, 09:35 PM
what about umbrellas Ian? or use an umbrella box...

Any links or brand names? I've not heard of these before.

zacker
07-17-2007, 09:42 PM
google softlighter 2 I actually made one last winter, works great...

here it is when i first made it, before i cut the hole for the flash to go into..
http://www.brokenfencephotography.com/photos/124667550-M.jpg

and here is the real softlighter...or is that softliter??..lol this is where i got the idea..
http://www.brokenfencephotography.com/photos/124667538-M.jpg

twoshadows
07-17-2007, 09:56 PM
Thanks, Craig :D .