PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! (with the 430ex)

teachflute
07-13-2007, 11:15 PM
Okay, I'm telling the truth here, not just flattering or buttering you up, but whenever I've had a question, I've found this board to have the easiest to understand explanations.

I just bought a 430EX to go with my Digital rebel xt. I've been shooting in full manual and I thought I understood AV, TV and program mode until I started using them with the flash. I took some pics of my son outside today. It was a very sunny day, but I was shooting the pics in a shady area and using the 430 for fill. In AV everything was overexposed. In TV, everything was underexposed. After fiddling with the settings, I finally got a couple of descent shots (still on camera, no room on hard drive right now. Sorry!). But, I'm not sure exactly what I did.

I've read the EOS Flash photography Bible that is posted online and I have read my manual many times, but I learn best by doing and I struggle with manuals.

So my question is... Well, I really don't know what my question is, but I am looking for some pointers and advice on how to figure out how to coordinate the use of the flash and the camera. What is your best piece of advice about working with a flash or what things can I do so I can best learn how to use my new flash?

Thanks,
Judi

JustinL
07-14-2007, 08:35 AM
I can't go into huge detail like Neil can, see his work here: http://www.planetneil.com/faq/flash-techniques.html

EXCELLENT tips

Orgnoi1
07-14-2007, 09:16 AM
Justin that looks like a great link... I will be watching the thread as while I have flashes I am one that usually shys away from using in conditions that may have helped...

teachflute
07-14-2007, 09:41 AM
It's funny Justin, because I just found that site before you posted and it's exactly what I'm looking for. The wording is very clear and understandable. I think that mostly I just have to shoot, shoot, shoot and practice to get the lighting the way I like it.

Thanks,
Judi

JustinL
07-14-2007, 01:01 PM
ANYtime Judi!!! I'll look for more as well. It's hard to find on-camera flash sites that are clear lately.

twoshadows
07-14-2007, 02:30 PM
Hi Judi,

Fwiw, I usually take a few test shots and adjust the fec accordingly. I find fill flash in manual to be around -2/3 to -1 fec.

Ian

meyankee
07-14-2007, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the link Justin. I have been thinking about getting a flash and this sure will help :)

zacker
07-14-2007, 04:35 PM
use in manual mode, leave the shutter speed at 1/250 and adjust aperture for the flash, you were prolly metering the shot like you wernt using flash but you cant. 1/250 should be fqast enough a shutter so you wont get alot of daylite in and about f 8 or so would be a good starting point. you prolly had your lens opend up too much, what aperture were you shooting at? Once you get the aperture right, you can adjust the SP to let some ambient lighting in... it takes a few shots, keep you eye on your Histogram...

JustinL
07-15-2007, 07:41 AM
BAD news, I just handled a 580EX yesterday...I hate the person that let me do it. Screw Sigma, I want the top of the line Canon now!!!

zacker
07-15-2007, 01:38 PM
lol the new version's have a sync port too and weather sealing...lol but you could get another AB for the price of one!!