PDA

View Full Version : One of the newer virus emails...

Orgnoi1
07-05-2007, 04:37 PM
When it rains it pours...

Theres an email floating around with your name on it... probably you have seen it or one like it... saying someone has sent you an e-card or just an online card... do NOT click any links on it...

Its going to download a virus to your computer... I am home fixing up my moms computer as we speak...

Better to be safe than sorry and NEVER click links from unknown sources... and quite frankly even known sources arent TOO safe...

JayVig
07-05-2007, 04:57 PM
Thanks for heads up Ross.

By the way... out shooting trains, home fixing mom's computer. When DO you work and... any positions available?

Orgnoi1
07-05-2007, 05:09 PM
Believe me... I work AS much as I did when I was in the Army... you dont want my position...

twoshadows
07-05-2007, 05:50 PM
Thanks, Ross :) .

zacker
07-05-2007, 09:12 PM
i get about 15 to 20 of these a day.... it either says I got an ecard from a mate, a friend, a family member, a school mate, a school friend.. I typed in the URL from one of them and it took me to an actual web page that was some sort of site looking for Photographers and writers for cards... but i just figured it was a spam sent out from a site looking for business that had prolly bought a list of emails from one of the many photosites i belong too! thanks for the warning.. i actually NEVER click any links... if im curious ill type the URL.. I have been pretty safe that way..

JayVig
07-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Must be a scam. Who would send YOU an e-card? Maybe me but it's not that close to valentine's day. :rolleyes:

zacker
07-05-2007, 09:18 PM
Must be a scam. Who would send YOU an e-card? Maybe me but it's not that close to valentine's day. :rolleyes:

I know, thats why I was suspicious!!
lol

StudioCMC
07-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Two points here,

When you do get a link e-mail. Hover your mouse over it, in the lower right of your browser, you will see the links location. Most of these are going to a masked server, if a direct IP address is showing up this is a server that the link is going to goto. So if it looks like this: http://70.54.1.297/ this is NOT a webserver, this is a private computer, this is the first tall-tell sign that the link is NOT real, nor is it secure.

Point 2: Use Firefox, and get the Script blocking plugin. You will never download another virus just by browsing a website again!

All of these viruses are STILL targeting Microsofts Internet Explorer! Firefox does not fall for this sort of false scripting, and auto-downloads!

Chris