PDA

View Full Version : More work from the Young Digi Guy :-)

SandPVRR
07-03-2007, 05:51 PM
http://www.rrnne.net/obscar/mostinterestingshotperhaps.JPG

Ok Folks - I've gotten some comments on this one on an exclusively railroad art list - but I want some more opinions....
Comments? Suggestions?
-Joey

JerseyMutt
07-03-2007, 06:07 PM
Exposure and color are good, but IMO, the composition isn't the greatest.

If you had just the gate portion in view, I think it would look pretty cool, but the weight at the top of the frame is very distracting. The photo is a bit busy overall.

Keep shooting though and unless you're just trying to get a grab shot of a passing train, try and think about your location for a bit and try to frame your photo before the train is coming.

Good luck!

twoshadows
07-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Joey,

I think you've got an interesting perspective here. If you cropped out the weight at the top and the photog on the left I think you'd have a cleaner composition. Otherwise, it's pretty cool :thumb .

JayVig
07-03-2007, 07:50 PM
I'm with Ian on this one. The weight and other photog get in the way, but other than that I like the composition of this one. I'm usually a fan of seeing things from different angles so I like it. Maybe it's not a great shot technically (I don't know enough to say) but artistically I like it.

Orgnoi1
07-04-2007, 07:58 AM
Ok Folks - I've gotten some comments on this one on an exclusively railroad art list - but I want some more opinions....
Comments? Suggestions?
-Joey

First thing you should always do is close your eyes.... open them and see what draws your attention first...

The weight definately needs to be removed... its extremely distracting to the overall shot... I like your choices of trying out the location there though... it seems like it has definate potential... I also have to mirror what was said previously about the other railfan... overall the shot needs to be more about what you are trying to convey in it... especially in an artistic standpoint. With too many distractions it takes away from the overall "feel"...

JayVig
07-04-2007, 09:57 AM
Yeah... what he said, hahaha. Ross definitely found the way to put, more eloquently, what I was trying to say earlier.

SandPVRR
07-04-2007, 10:11 AM
Hello All,
I've uploaded three additional versions of this - the first two are edits by others - the last is my edit - are there any thoughts on any of these?
Thanks thusfar for all your help!
Happy 4th of July!
-Joey

JerseyMutt
07-04-2007, 10:12 AM
Much better! While it's a bit heavy on the compression side, I really love the contrast in the b&w image. It brings out the cloud definition moreso than the color versions.

JayVig
07-04-2007, 10:13 AM
I like it in color and I liket he last one the best as far as comp goes so that means it's alot of clone work to get that photog out of it. I'm surprised he's to evident - he's wearing camouflage. My leadership tells me that I have to wear it to protect from the enemy but I can see him just fine. hmmmm.... :confused:

Orgnoi1
07-04-2007, 10:14 AM
Of the three I like edit 1 best... but its got "left-itis" which if corrected and a slight bit of contrast added would be where I would have gone with it...

marshall
07-04-2007, 01:53 PM
The dynamic angle is a great start. I think it might also be stronger with the train slightly further ahead, making it a bigger and more dominant part of the frame and taking real advantage of the low angle of shooting. Of the edits, I like the "widescreen" take, though there I'd prefer the train slightly more out of center.