PDA

View Full Version : What are the rules?

twoshadows
06-26-2007, 06:19 PM
This may be a silly question, but what are the rules regarding a shot like this:
http://www.pbase.com/iangreyphotography/image/80855796/medium.jpg

where someone's house is featured prominently in a photo. Do I need anyone's permission to show this image? I don't think I do, but I'm not entirely sure. Anyone here know anything about this?

JayVig
06-26-2007, 06:22 PM
I've often wondered the same thing about using private propert in a shot. I'd be curious to know the answer.

Orgnoi1
06-26-2007, 06:25 PM
Well the major first issue is where it was taken from... if you took it from public property then its 100% in the clear... it only may turn slightly gray if you sell it...someone could bring you to court I guess... not sure if they would win or not though...

JayVig
06-26-2007, 06:27 PM
Good to know. I don't want anyone selling pictures of my rented mobile home. Home is where the trailer is, after all. :thumb

zacker
06-26-2007, 08:37 PM
Good to know. I don't want anyone selling pictures of my rented mobile home. Home is where the trailer is, after all. :thumb

but theryre such sought after shots at microstock.com!!! :doh

JayVig
06-26-2007, 08:40 PM
the problem is that you can't even hang a picture of a doublewide in the doublewide... the walls are too thin to hold it.

nvr2low
06-26-2007, 09:08 PM
Well the major first issue is where it was taken from... if you took it from public property then its 100% in the clear... it only may turn slightly gray if you sell it...someone could bring you to court I guess... not sure if they would win or not though...

i think its fine to sell as long as its shot from public property. anything visable from public property is fair game from what i have seen.

J.W.
06-26-2007, 10:09 PM
the problem is that you can't even hang a picture of a doublewide in the doublewide... the walls are too thin to hold it.
LMAO. :D

zacker
06-27-2007, 06:53 AM
my suggestion would be to clone out anything that can be thought of as personal info... a street sign, address numbers, a name on a mailbox... just to keep the subject sorta private. I dont think there are any laws that say you cant photograph something like a house from public property.. as long as you dont tresspass to get the shot...

CruzinGirl
06-27-2007, 07:48 AM
Well...going along the lines of paparrattzi (sp?) anything shot from public places is fair game (ie: road, your own property, property you have permission to be on). I don't think you would have any problems unless you kept going back to the same spot and the person thought you were stalking them, lol.

JayVig
06-27-2007, 08:33 AM
Well...going along the lines of paparrattzi (sp?) anything shot from public places is fair game (ie: road, your own property, property you have permission to be on). I don't think you would have any problems unless you kept going back to the same spot and the person thought you were stalking them, lol.

How do you think I met my fiance?

twoshadows
06-27-2007, 10:06 AM
Thanks everyone :D . This particular shot was taken from a public road. I did a little reading last night and my impression is that you are all right - anything taken from public property is fair game. An interesting side note: one article stated that even pics taken while trespassing - as long as they don't invade someone's privacy - are protected. The trespassing, however, can be prosecuted.