PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Good video covering Basic Photoshop functions

Cap'nFred
06-17-2007, 07:09 PM
I have Photoshop 7 and am about to upgrade to CS3. I want to get a video that covers all the basic tools and topics like including a 2nd image or portions of a 2nd image into the photo. I would hope the video would include the use of layers and how to incorporate it into the image that I am working on. I have seen photos of hunting dogs like a labrador with 2 or 3 different headshot poses of the same dog in a single photograph. I would like to be able to do that. I am capable of doing a few things in PS but lack the confidence to get in there and experiment. I don't want any more manuals. I learn better from observing the steps than by trying to follow written instructions. CapnFred

Orgnoi1
06-17-2007, 07:47 PM
Hmmm not too sure about CS3 videos yet... I know for CS2 there is a really good book called "The Photoshop CS2 Book for Digital Photographers" by Kelby... but I am not sure if he came out with a new one yet...

twoshadows
06-17-2007, 08:23 PM
I have Photoshop 7 and am about to upgrade to CS3. I want to get a video that covers all the basic tools and topics like including a 2nd image or portions of a 2nd image into the photo. I would hope the video would include the use of layers and how to incorporate it into the image that I am working on. I have seen photos of hunting dogs like a labrador with 2 or 3 different headshot poses of the same dog in a single photograph. I would like to be able to do that. I am capable of doing a few things in PS but lack the confidence to get in there and experiment. I don't want any more manuals. I learn better from observing the steps than by trying to follow written instructions. CapnFred

CapnFred,

I applaud you for taking steps to get better in PS :clap . Unfortunately, I don't know of any videos for Photoshop :( . Fwiw, I took a class at the local college that dealt specifically with PS and that helped me quite a bit. It really helped me to have a human being to direct my questions at. And, the money I spent on the class I more than saved when I bought PSCS at the student discount! Good luck, CapnFred :) .

Ian

Pegdragger
06-17-2007, 10:32 PM
I just played with it and taught myself. There are a ton of free tutorials online (searchable on Google) that will teach you from basics to advanced. I was playing around the other day in PS making something. A fellow forum member (1130cc.com) asked what his Harley Street Rod would look like with the tailsection of a 07 Yamaha R1. This is what I got......bear in mind I did it in about 20 minutes, so it needs to be cleaned up.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h65/Mhenry74/Streetrodr1tailflat.jpg

StudioCMC
06-18-2007, 08:07 AM
CapnFred,

I am aware of 16 videos (DVD's) that you can buy for training with photoshop.

These DVD's are ONLY avalible thru NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals)

http://www.photoshopuser.com

The DVD's range from $29.95 to $110.00 for Photoshop CS, CS2, and CS3

They have Beginer DVD's to Layers:

This is the listing for the Layers DVD:

Adobe® Photoshop® CS3 Layer Essentials by Matt Kloskowski

(Now available for pre-order. DVD ships in June 2007.)
Join Adobe® Photoshop® instructor and digital photographer, Matt Kloskowski, as he introduces you to one of the most revolutionary and important features in Photoshop®: Layers. In Adobe® Photoshop® CS3 Layer Essentials, you’ll learn how to effectively and creatively use Layers to take your photos and digital art from “good” to “fantastic.”
In this DVD, Matt will cover:
• Combining images into collages using a simple drag and drop method
• Blending multiple exposures together to get the best of both worlds
• Working with transparency and opacity
• Selectively fixing certain parts of your photos while protecting the areas that already look good.
• Masking techniques that are easier than you ever thought possible
Using Layers is possibly the most important skill when working with Photoshop. That’s why Matt starts at square one with “what is a Layer,” and works his way up to Layer tips and tricks that the professionals use to get outstanding results.

$69.99 $54.99
Savings of 22%

This is ONLY avalible if your a member of NAPP.

Hope this helps, Or if you want to send me some contact info I can order you one, and send it to you.. Or better yet, join NAPP and get some cool monthly magazines with TON'S of COOL tips..

Chris

twoshadows
06-18-2007, 11:51 AM
That's some great info, Chris. :)