PDA

View Full Version : Photomatix: What I need to know to get started

twoshadows
06-16-2007, 04:08 PM
Hi All,

I just invested in Photomatix and I had a question for those who use it.

I tried taking a couple of quick shots and merging them, but because I did it freehand the pics didn't line up and there was ghosting. Is it necessary to use a tripod for this program to work?:confused:

Also, if you have any tips I would appreciate it.

TIA,

Ian

JayVig
06-16-2007, 04:16 PM
you don't need to use a tripod although it helps. when you start it and click on "HDR" and then "generate" you will select your images that will be merged.

The screen after that has a check box that says "align source images." as long as the images are close, this should do the trick. if they're way off, then it will not work.

The other way to do it, if you only have 1 shot and you shoot in RAW, then during the RAW conversion, use the software to save a shot that's overexposed by a stop and another that's underexposed by a stop. That will, of course, guarantee that they're aligned since they're the same shot.

twoshadows
06-16-2007, 08:36 PM
Thanks, Jay! You've been a big help. I always shoot in raw (whenever possible), so that increases my options. Thanks again! :) :) :)

JayVig
06-16-2007, 10:36 PM
Anytime! Glad to help.

zacker
06-17-2007, 02:09 PM
my workflow...

Tripod
Cabel release
AV mode
Jpeg lrg
Cam set to auto bracket @ -2, 0, +2 stops.. do as many as you can or want.
When shooting, DO NOT change focus area, set a good aperture...somewhere around f11 to get everything sharp and in focus. use a release to avoid cam shake.. AV mode to keep the aperture the same for all three shots, let the Shutter speed change..

down load images, rename em something that will make them easy to navagate to in PM.. i usually do like... Church1 church 1a church1b .. open PM, click HDR, navagate to images by clicking browse, open them, hit generate, after its done go back and hit tone mapping and have at it... one word of advice watch your "Light smoothing and go easy with it and also you luminance slider... play with the controls till it looks good to you.. i then go into PS with the tone mapped image to further abuse it..lol

JayVig
06-17-2007, 04:10 PM
Can you tell me more about the auto bracket?

and I name my images like this - greystone, greystone_over, greystone_under - to help me navigate the order of the different exposures.

twoshadows
06-17-2007, 08:08 PM
Zacker,

Thank you for the great info! I've never used auto bracketing before, so this will be good for me :) . I already have an HDR project planned out - now I just have to wait for a good sunset :D . Thanks again, Z.

Ian

my workflow...

Tripod
Cabel release
AV mode
Jpeg lrg
Cam set to auto bracket @ -2, 0, +2 stops.. do as many as you can or want.
When shooting, DO NOT change focus area, set a good aperture...somewhere around f11 to get everything sharp and in focus. use a release to avoid cam shake.. AV mode to keep the aperture the same for all three shots, let the Shutter speed change..

down load images, rename em something that will make them easy to navagate to in PM.. i usually do like... Church1 church 1a church1b .. open PM, click HDR, navagate to images by clicking browse, open them, hit generate, after its done go back and hit tone mapping and have at it... one word of advice watch your "Light smoothing and go easy with it and also you luminance slider... play with the controls till it looks good to you.. i then go into PS with the tone mapped image to further abuse it..lol

JustinL
06-18-2007, 11:32 AM
Can you tell me more about the auto bracket?

and I name my images like this - greystone, greystone_over, greystone_under - to help me navigate the order of the different exposures.

Auto bracket is within your camera. You can set it .... just refer to page 90 of your XT manual!!! Also known as "AEB"

JayVig
06-18-2007, 12:08 PM
i'm not anywhere near the manual. what is its function though?

zacker
06-18-2007, 12:20 PM
you set it at where you want the camera to set the sp... it will show the little graph it looks just like the meter in the VF) and when you access it, you turn the wheel on the top of the cam and it wil have three little dashes that will set from extreme right, cener and left.. or in between the three.. then all you do is shoot once and it will take the under exposed image, shoot again and it will take the exposed properly image, and shoot yet again and it will take the over exposed image. works great. but you HAVE to use AV mode..! you dont wanna be changing the Aperture.. you just want the Shutter speed to change.

JayVig
06-18-2007, 12:22 PM
and with a remote, to avoid movement or camera shake, that's a perfect way to get 3 identical shots changing JUST the exposure.

StudioCMC
06-18-2007, 02:03 PM
Adding onto this..

What do you use your settings with for a Bracket shoot mode on your camera? I use a tripod all the time. So I was wanting the camera to take these shots in JPG rather than shooting RAW.

Your doing 1 stop up and 1 stop down to bracket this?

Chris

zacker
06-18-2007, 02:13 PM
i usually do 2 stops... i find i get better shots with 2 stops... you can also do a 3 shot bracket at all stops... start out with -2, 0, +2 then re set bracket and do -1, 0, +1 and keep doing that for the whole range, then, throw out all but 1 of the "0" EC shots.. this way, depending on your camera, youll have tones of frames and detail... of course, it will take PM about 3 years to process all these..lol

JustinL
06-18-2007, 05:35 PM
but you HAVE to use AV mode..! you dont wanna be changing the Aperture.. you just want the Shutter speed to change.

isn't Tv mode where only the shutter is changed? :confused: Honestly, you have far more experience than I do with this HDR stoof

JerseyMutt
06-18-2007, 05:37 PM
It's where the shutter speed is manually chosen and aperture is chosen for you whereas with Av the aperture stays where you set it and the shutter speed is chosen for you.

JayVig
06-18-2007, 05:42 PM
Right. Av is aperture priority. you choose it and it stays. the rest is done for you.

Tv is shutter speed priority and works the opposite.

zacker
06-18-2007, 08:21 PM
isn't Tv mode where only the shutter is changed? :confused: Honestly, you have far more experience than I do with this HDR stoof

yeah justin, setting the aperture in AV mode will let the camera automatically set the SP.. but the AV will remain the same...

JustinL
06-18-2007, 09:14 PM
Just making sure, I knew I read it too fast right after I posted!!!

twoshadows
06-18-2007, 10:55 PM
For long shots (200mm+) I would also recommend MLU (Mirror Lock Up). I tried a shot at 420mm today without it and I got slightly ghosted images :(. Fortunately, they were only test shots as the lighting was terrible (haze).