PDA

View Full Version : We have a winner! and other contests

twoshadows
06-07-2007, 09:39 AM
Hi All,

Although it's a little after the fact, I wanted to let all you good folks know about my recent success. In the first quarter of the year, Sigma held a nationwide photo contest, "Faces In Nature", in which one is allowed to submit up to two pics. I submitted two: A hummingbird and a snake. I thought the hummer had a shot at the prizes and I submitted the snake because I really had nothing else and it was a solid pic in terms of PP. Well the winners were announced May 1st and, as it turns out, the snake won!

http://k53.pbase.com/o4/21/502821/1/64116200.CcqecmmV._MG_2468rtfinpbase.jpg

Now, while I'm very happy about this (and the EX lens that I won:D ), I really have another reason for writing about this. There are two more contests this year. The current one, "A Perfect World", ends June 30th and first prize is a 70mm macro lens:cool: . Here's the link:
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/contest/contest.asp

There will be another contest in the fall and then, seven people from each of the three contests (1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4 honorable mentions) will be automatically entered into a fourth and final contest for the grand prize. Of course they haven't announced the grand prize :( , but if first place is an EX lens in the other contests then hopefully the grand prize will be something even better (like a 120-300!).

Thought you'd all like to know.

Ian

Mods: I wasn't sure where to place this, so if it's in the wrong forum, please move it to the appropriate place:) .

JerseyMutt
06-07-2007, 10:32 AM
Congrats Ian! That pic is killer. :thumb

nvr2low
06-07-2007, 11:12 AM
congrats, thats a great shot

Irishpub3
06-07-2007, 11:36 AM
Congratulations.... AWESOME shot Ian!

stoneylonesome
06-07-2007, 11:53 AM
Congrats on the win, Fantastic photo. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Orgnoi1
06-07-2007, 12:44 PM
Congrats Ian on winning... its a great photo for sure!!

zacker
06-07-2007, 12:46 PM
awesome job Ian..... Ill look at the link also...ya never know right? I got two second places this March in a show here in Milford, had no idea i'd get them... too bad my B&W was beat out by a picture of a Bowl!!! Grrrrrrrr!!!!!

zacker
06-07-2007, 12:50 PM
lol,lol,lol... i just looked at the pic that took second..lol,lol,lol... how funny is that???

twoshadows
06-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Thomas, nvr2low, Trish and Ross,

Thank you for the good words. I think it would be really cool if someone else at NEF won the other two contests. Of course, the pic has to be taken with a Sigma lens (forgot to mention that, d'oh!). That 70mm macro looks awfully nice (drool).

Ian

twoshadows
06-07-2007, 02:36 PM
Congrats on the win, Fantastic photo. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Sandy,

I'm not sure, but you shoot a good number of landscapes, don't you? If so I think this might be right for you because I think that's what they're looking for this time around. Just a thought:) .

Ian

stoneylonesome
06-07-2007, 02:42 PM
Sandy,

I'm not sure, but you shoot a good number of landscapes, don't you? If so I think this might be right for you because I think that's what they're looking for this time around. Just a thought:) .

Ian

I do and I shoot most with my Sigma (YAH!) 18-200 lens. I just wish they excepted them digitally by E-mail or direct link. instead of print and CD.

I'll have to think about this one.

twoshadows
06-07-2007, 02:43 PM
awesome job Ian..... Ill look at the link also...ya never know right? I got two second places this March in a show here in Milford, had no idea i'd get them... too bad my B&W was beat out by a picture of a Bowl!!! Grrrrrrrr!!!!!

Thanks Craig,

Sorry about the finishes in Milford. It must have been nice to Place, but very frustrating as well. There's three weeks left for the contest, although the shot can have been taken any time. I'd like to see a lot of entries from NEF :) .

Ian

twoshadows
06-07-2007, 02:50 PM
I do and I shoot most with my Sigma (YAH!) 18-200 lens. I just wish they excepted them digitally by E-mail or direct link. instead of print and CD.

I'll have to think about this one.

I submitted two pics as 12x18 prints. NP, just mailed 'em in a tube. Now it looks like they want a CD as well. Still, a seperate 6x9 inch padded mailer and it's done. I really hope you enter:) .

Ian

GraphyFotoz
06-07-2007, 03:25 PM
SUPER SHOT CONGRADS Ian!!!
Love my Sigma's maybe I'll enter and see what happens.
I never win anything....my Wife is the lucky one! :rolleyes:

As you can see in my sig line all I use is Sigy's.
My most recent addition is my 24-70mm.
Took me a while but I'm EX DG all the way now.

If you go to my site 90% of my work has been done with em.

twoshadows
06-07-2007, 03:37 PM
Hi,

Tried to go to your site but the dial up connection can't handle it :(. As I said to others, I would like to see someone else from NEF win first prize. The beauty is that the pic doesn't have to have been taken within any specific time period, so you can choose from all of your pics. Go for it, and when you do, post your entries :).

Ian

GraphyFotoz
06-07-2007, 03:42 PM
Sorry to hear that.

My dream shot is a shot of a Rattler or a CottonMouth......and I'll go to almost any risk to get one!
We do have a few of both here but pretty rare.
I have seen a CottonMouth 2x in my 42yrs around my general area.

zacker
06-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Jim, you were the first person i thought of when i saw this contest!

GraphyFotoz
06-07-2007, 03:52 PM
Jim, you were the first person i thought of when i saw this contest!

STOP you'll make me blush! :o:
Too bad Ian can't get my site to load! :mad: