PDA

View Full Version : WTF...setting up spyder2

KDN
06-05-2007, 04:18 PM
I got my calibration system today and for the life of me can't figure out how to turn off adobe gamma... Somewhere told me to go to Start right click>open all users>programs>start up and delete it, but it's not there! I did a search for adobe gamma loader and erased it but spyders still picking it up... any ideas? Am I just being a moron somewhere along the lines? Thanks for the help guys!

Orgnoi1
06-05-2007, 04:35 PM
I had posted and retracted the post...

Check out this post from another site... it may help:
http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00B5Xy

KDN
06-05-2007, 04:54 PM
I think I figured it out but it doesn't really matter because when I was tring to figure out how to calibrate my power shut off...grrrrr! The worst part is it's bright and sunny out so I don't even know why we don't have power. Thank goodness for my palm treo...LOL at least I can still browse the net even if it's sort-of a PITA :)

KDN
06-05-2007, 06:10 PM
Okay I calibrate my computer and it looks way too red, what the heck am I doing wrong here?

Orgnoi1
06-05-2007, 09:14 PM
it could be a problem with your monitor... being adjusted not properly...

KDN
06-05-2007, 09:30 PM
That's what I'm thinking, I'm gonna give it a go on Jas' computer at some point tonight or tomorrow and see if it looks different, if that doesn't work then I'm gonna have to call them up and see. It may just be that I need to adjust to it, but I don't know the greys just seem too pinkish to me to be right... who knows could be my eyes LOL

Neutron Jack
06-06-2007, 06:05 PM
I found it made a difference if the light in the room was too bright when I did the calibration. Close the blinds and turn off any lights that are right next to the monitor.
Is your monitor lcd? If it is, make sure the baffle is up tight against the screen. If it's not, make sure you took the lcd adaptor off.
Also, you should turn your contrast almost all the way up and your brightness almost all the way down b4 you calibrate.

The adobe gamma is located under start, all programs, startup folder. It will be a shortcut in there.

KDN
06-06-2007, 07:46 PM
I did it on my husbands laptop too and got pretty close (if not identical) results... I'm going to try it on the downstairs computer which is just a desktop and see if that makes the difference... maybe it is just my eyes???? I don't think I can change my contrast on my laptop, and the brightness is just my back light from what I understand. Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how it goes on the next computer...

Neutron Jack
06-06-2007, 08:18 PM
right click on your desktop, select properties--chose settings, then click advanced. Depending on your video card, you will have several options there. Most likely one will be called "color". Thats where the brightness and contrast settings should be. Color Management will be where your color profile lives (the one spider makes). If it doesn't appear on the list, click add, find it (should be on the list that pops up), then select it as default.

Also, make sure you've got the highest color range available on your settings tab, and a failrly large resolution....I forget which one Spider recommends.

KDN
06-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Unfortunately no contrast settings, but I did change the color profile...nada. I did set the resolution and color range before I did the calibration, I think I'm going to go downstairs now and try it on that one, I'll report back in. I really appreciate all the help!

zacker
06-07-2007, 07:36 AM
I'm gonna give it a go on Jas' computer at some point tonight or tomorrow and see if it looks different,

:eek: great, there goes Jas's computer too....:D :D

lol Just kidding!! good luck!
were your colors that much off? I find when printing, my colors are pretty close to what i see on my screen but the prints are a little darker so before i print i up the brightness on the pics first.. would a Spyder help that too?

KDN
06-07-2007, 07:55 AM
I bought it because I was having issues with my whites, they looked right on my computer but came out a little dark in print, not horribly but I wasn't happy with it, especially black and whites, I would just brighten them up too, but it was getting old. I have to send out a print to see if it makes a difference, but just looking at my photos now look the same. I'm going out today and hopefully will snap a few pictures, once I post process them I'm sending at least one out for prints and I'll go from there. I got lazy last night and didn't do my downstairs computer so I still don't know about that, I do know that that monitor is in some desperate need of calibration though so that's why I figured I'd try that one out.

Neutron Jack
06-07-2007, 08:56 AM
Spider won't help with brigtness issues, it just calibrates the color. I'd set the monitor brightness to match a print thats in "true" color (not auto corrected by the print company), then recalibrate. Getting the printers color profile to soft proof is also a good plan.

Teresa221
06-07-2007, 07:01 PM
Kadian, post some pictures. I'm calibrated and soft proof with Miller's ICC profile (which is the same one that MPIX uses - which is where you print, right?).

I can take a look and tell you if you are off or not. Try to get some people in the shots, so I can look at skin tones.

KDN
06-07-2007, 09:59 PM
Thanks Teresa I'll have to do that, my skin tones were perfect before, but of course now I'm worried so I'll get some snaps of my kids tomorrow and do a quick edit, I should have known better LOL I had the whites down perfect, should have just left good enough alone... :)