PDA

View Full Version : Macro C&C Wanted...

Irishpub3
06-05-2007, 03:19 PM
I am trying out some different styles of macro shooting... I love the close up shots showing really intricate details of a bug... but I also know that - in many cases - it is the artsy or flowery shots shots that actually appeal to people asthetically (a whole butterfly sitting just right on a flower vs. a close up of the butterflies head, etc)....

So... I've been playing around with both types of shots... and tried to capture some bees and flies, etc on a flower with a variety of (or at least contrasting) colors, etc....

Stats:
Camera: Nikon D200
Lens: Nikon 105mm Micro
Flash: SB800
ISO: 100
F number: 10
Exposure Time: 1/160
Manual
No exposure compensation

Would really appreciate some C&C regarding visual impact, composition, quality, etc...

http://www.northeastfoto.com/gallery/files/4/5/DSC_1027e2.jpg

Orgnoi1
06-05-2007, 03:26 PM
OK a real C&C...

Color and sharpness in the areas in focus are good...

I feel personally that f/10 is much too shallow for this subject and the flower is suffering because of it... also noticing a little bit of wierd focusing on the foreground area of the flower...

Technically this is a good shot and one to be proud of... but I would have definately shot it more towards f/16 range or so and adjusted the flash compensation to make up for the difference in aperture....

KDN
06-05-2007, 03:44 PM
I think you're right about appealing to the masses. C&C on this would be pretty much what Ross said, there's just too shallow of a DOF for the public to really appreciate it, I think if you could get to the back of the flower in focus and the background the way it is it would be spot on! The colors are good and I love the detail in the bee, the pollen, the hairs and the eye is just awesome, keep it up Trish!!!

twoshadows
06-07-2007, 07:28 AM
Trish,

First, let me applaud you for taking a fine pic :snap :clap . I used to do a good bit of macro and I know it can be back-breaking, knee-scraping work.

The dof thing: Ross and Kadian are pretty much right that the flower has a funny focus thing going on with it; the front of the yellow part of the flower is in focus while the back is not. I'm not sure how much another stop is going to buy you in terms of dof. The other way to go is to shoot at a narrower dof and get just the bee in focus. I think if you're going for an artsy shot, why not give it a try?

I like that the subject is slightly right of center on the horizontal and using the thirds rule on the vertical. Well done:thumb . Clarity and color are excellent. Over all, a very good pic.

Ian

zacker
06-07-2007, 07:32 AM
T, I feel I cant really say anything except for... GREAT SHOT!! I like it!

Irishpub3
06-07-2007, 07:36 AM
Thanks Ian :) ...and everyone, for the comments.... I selected this picture to put up for critique because I felt that it had some potential (from a visually pleasing point of view) but also felt that it had some issues.... you've helped clear that up for me - and also given me some things to think about and try next time...

zacker
06-07-2007, 08:03 AM
i was Down loading images last night and it hit me, All my images look the same.. BOORING!!!! so I cosulted the expert in this kind of situation... My wife! She told me that in her creative writing course when she was in school, one of the things she had to do was Describe in writing, what the side of a barn looked like, in detail from different points of view, say... a poor person who just won the lottery, a persone who just lost a loved one, a person who is in love, a person who is really depressed..and so on.. so she suggested i do that with my Photography.. look at the subject and try to see it, not how I do now but how someone who isnt me might see it.. it sounds like fun or at the very least, interesting. Im gonna try to remember to do this next time im out, problem is, I dont know where to start..