PDA

View Full Version : Losing EXIF data

JayVig
06-02-2007, 10:17 AM
So I keep having all my data stripped off when I process my pics and I'm not sure why.

First, I use ZoomBrowser EX to convert them from RAW to JPEG - keeps data
Second, I resize and fix coloring in PS CS2 - keeps data
Third, I use PSP to add the border and signatur. It's got a simple function to do it with - loses data.

What is it about PSP that strips all the information away? If it helps to know, it's PSP7. Tommy uses PSP8 and doesn't have this issue. Could the version make a difference?

KDN
06-02-2007, 10:20 AM
Wish I could help, I loose mine too when I run it through neat image can't for the life of me figure out why... I'm sure someone will have better info for you.

JayVig
06-02-2007, 10:25 AM
Well at least I know I'm not alone. I wonder if it's something as simple as a setting.

rparent
06-02-2007, 10:33 AM
I use PSP8 and have the same problem your having. I end up just using PSP8 to add a border then pressing save and going back into photoshop to make a JPEG. PSP8 only strips the EXIF info when I go to Save As and save my image as a JPEG.

JayVig
06-02-2007, 10:40 AM
We're getting closer to a solution. The only thing is that I don't use save as in PSP at all. I have the file saved as a JPEG in CS2, open psp, add the border and save then I'm done.

JayVig
06-02-2007, 10:49 AM
is there an easy way to add a border in CS2 and skip PSP altogether?

KDN
06-02-2007, 11:37 AM
What kind of boarder are you tring to add, if it's just a simple one color boarder like this...

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h308/kdncarroll/IMG_9818KadianRoman5_30_07boarde-1.jpg

You can do that it CS2... go to image>canvas size> and then do the the width and height in inches, pixels, what have you... The photo above was 110 pixels. Make sure you check relative and then choose your canvas extension color...

rparent
06-02-2007, 11:50 AM
Thanks for that info, Kadian. That helps me eliminate using PSP all together.

KDN
06-02-2007, 12:31 PM
Glad I could help, it's pretty easy and simple too, I'm sure there are plenty of other ways to get a boarder, but this works for me :D

JayVig
06-02-2007, 01:24 PM
I was thinking about something similar but didn't know the process.

the other tool that i use PSP for is the text tool for my signature. it's simple. I like how, in psp, you can make the text the way you want it and then insert it as a vector on the image to move where as in CS2 you have to type it directly on.

anyone use CS2 for text?

JerseyMutt
06-02-2007, 05:01 PM
I use PSP8 and have the same problem your having. I end up just using PSP8 to add a border then pressing save and going back into photoshop to make a JPEG. PSP8 only strips the EXIF info when I go to Save As and save my image as a JPEG.

It's odd that it only happens to some folks. I use PSP8 for just about everything now and don't have a problem with the EXIF data getting lost.

stoneylonesome
06-02-2007, 07:26 PM
I use PSP9 and 11 I download with zoombrowser and I shoot manly in RAW when I open my RAW file in PSP9 edit and do a save as to JPG no EXIF lose, if I open my RAW in 11 and do a save as it strips it all out. If I shoot a JPG or open the JPG file in PSP 11 no problem it's only when I open in RAW in PSP11 that I lose the EXIF data, this started when Corel took them over and put out PSP10, I can't tell you the emails I sent to corel about this and still no fix. It also does it when I shoot with my G3. Never had a problem when JASC owned it.

JayVig
06-03-2007, 12:31 AM
Well I'm using 7 which was still Jasc owned. It appears there's no rhyme or reason to why/when/how it happens.

Orgnoi1
06-03-2007, 05:18 AM
ok ok ok... time to answer most of the questions for you guys...

PSP7 does not retain EXIF... period... never has... never will...

PSP8 *should* retain it... I use it with every process I do... so Ryan when you save as a jpeg are you saving "for the web"? or just as a jpeg?

CS2 obviously retains EXIF

JayVig
06-03-2007, 09:40 AM
AHA! So it's not a problem... it's just an older stupid product. Time to move up in the world. I have PSP 10 on my laptop but never thought to try it and moving between PCs gets annoying.

Thanks for the definitive answer Ross.

stoneylonesome
06-03-2007, 11:58 AM
AHA! So it's not a problem... it's just an older stupid product. Time to move up in the world. I have PSP 10 on my laptop but never thought to try it and moving between PCs gets annoying.

Thanks for the definitive answer Ross.

I'd be interested to see who it works on PSP10, I know that's when I had the problem start with PSP10 and my Canon 10D and G3. I will say one thing though I love some of the new features in 11, it was worth the upgrade, even though I still use 9 as my default one, save to PSP format and than open in 11 and use some of the newer features in it. Another program to look into and I find it very good especially for RAW, and it's FREE is Canons 'Digital Photo Professional, no lose of EXIF with it.

JustinL
06-03-2007, 12:52 PM
if you're using multiple layers to do your borders, then you merge them... you may lose your exif data that way

JayVig
06-03-2007, 01:00 PM
I found, yesterday, that expanding your canvas by the required border pixels with a black background will easily give a good border and not cause another layer. Make sure to click the relative box as Kadian mentioned.

JayVig
06-03-2007, 01:02 PM
http://alpha02u.c-wss.com/inc/ApplServlet?SV=WWUCA900

That's a dead link. Do you have an active one? I'll search as well.

JayVig
06-03-2007, 01:08 PM
There doesn't seem to be a clearcut link to the software. I had to follow a trail. I started with the first link that had a link itself to the bottom one listed here. From there I had to select my camer and make my way to the software for that and I downloaded the software from there. It took some hunting but it's not too tough.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0510/05101301canon_dpp203.asp
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=DownloadIndexAct

stoneylonesome
06-03-2007, 01:52 PM
There doesn't seem to be a clearcut link to the software. I had to follow a trail. I started with the first link that had a link itself to the bottom one listed here. From there I had to select my camer and make my way to the software for that and I downloaded the software from there. It took some hunting but it's not too tough.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0510/05101301canon_dpp203.asp
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=DownloadIndexAct

Ya that's about what I have to do, idiots at canon can't make it easy to find this stuff:Hammer . I was afraid the link wouldn't work.

But hey! pretty cool program for free.:D

JayVig
06-03-2007, 02:02 PM
I haven't used it yet. Downloaded and installed. I'll check it out in a bit.

mdave13
06-04-2007, 01:17 AM
In PSP, when saving using 'save as', there is an options button that takes yoy to a dialog where 'Save EXIF Data' is a checkboxxed option

stoneylonesome
06-04-2007, 08:18 AM
In PSP, when saving using 'save as', there is an options button that takes yoy to a dialog where 'Save EXIF Data' is a checkboxxed option

Doesn't make a difference in PSP 10 OR 11, I have that boxed checked. It strips the EXIF info as soon as it opens a RAW file, no problem if I convert from RAW to JPG PSP or TIFF in either PSP9 or another program. Open a RAW (canon CRW) file in PSP 10 and 11 and no EXIF right from the get -go.

JayVig
06-04-2007, 08:55 AM
And I thought I was the only one having this problem. Seems it's a bit pandemic across PSP users.

Here's an offshoot question - Sandy, you said that your RAW files are CRW? Mine are CR2. Is that just a difference between cameras?

StudioCMC
06-04-2007, 09:16 AM
RAW files are being argued.. The two formats (.CR2 & .CRW) are valid. There are also many others, as there has been no standard industry settings agreed to just yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAW_image_format

On a side note, Microsoft has also stepped up to the plate to carry more data for its basic files, you can get it here.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/raw.mspx

Hope that helps
Chris

JayVig
06-04-2007, 09:21 AM
So some cameras use CR2 and others use CRW, is that the case? It seems that most of industry is being standardized except when it comes to digital media. File format, memory card types, next gen DVDs.

stoneylonesome
06-04-2007, 10:10 AM
And I thought I was the only one having this problem. Seems it's a bit pandemic across PSP users.

Here's an offshoot question - Sandy, you said that your RAW files are CRW? Mine are CR2. Is that just a difference between cameras?

Yup! both my Canons, G3 and 10D use the .CRW RAW format. I have spent hours and numerous e-mails to Corel about this problem, they even had me load a full straight from the camera RAW photo to there site, all to no avail, all I ever get is we are aware of the problem and working on it, guess it's time to rattle there cage again.
This is also why I never got rid of PSP9 it works great, never a problem.

StudioCMC
06-04-2007, 12:49 PM
So some cameras use CR2 and others use CRW, is that the case? It seems that most of industry is being standardized except when it comes to digital media. File format, memory card types, next gen DVDs.

Jay, your spot on. Microsoft wants to keep the DVD in its normal format for the use of DVD's. Sony wants Blue-ray format. If Blue Ray wins, all americans will lose the use of the DVD's as well there will be little chance of being able to ever copy a Blue Ray disk.

So it has its pros and cons.

The software writers for camera companies (Canon, Nikon, Fuji) all are writing to find the best Lossless RAW image. Each contenter is pushing eachother, but they are not collectivly sharing data about a format/standard.

In Japan, its not a requiremnt to comply to the IEEE world standards organization.

So thats the basic root of the argument of RAW today. Suposedly Nikon has developed the first lossless RAW file format. Read here: http://www.majid.info/mylos/weblog/2004/05/02-1.html

As well as this techno overview link:
http://www.theplumeriasociety.org/anps/anitem.cfm?annid=8

Chris

JayVig
06-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Here's the thing with the disc formats. Blu-Ray is Superior to HD-DVD in many ways but HD-DVD is getting more support from companies because people hate Sony's business practices. So it's gonna be another VHS/Betamax war. HD-DVD will flood the market and win the war. Microsoft said they'll support both formats. The downside is that Sony has enough capital to keep making Blu-Ray discs after the war is over just out of spite. Same like they've done with the MemoryStick that nobody but Sony uses and the MiniDisk that they made long after their lifespan and the UMD that's still in production even though ONLY a PSP can play them.

Luckily, all Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players are backwards compatible with regular DVD players so they won't go away immediately and you can already copy Blu-Ray discs so that bodes well for the consumer.

Now, the last piece to figure out for HD-DVD users is how to let it take advantage of 1080p resolution before a whole generation of new HD TVs lost their biggest feature.

StudioCMC
06-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Well your correct,

But lets look at the basics here.

1) Your a human.
2) Your brain cant process and instantly count 132 lines in a blink of an eye, let alone 58 lines.
3) Your brain can't even keep up with the 1080p resolution, that a TV gives you. The technology is jumping leaps and bounds only for a false market. Are you really going to be upset at a 1020p vs 60 more lines that your brain cant even see?

HD-DVD is a format that also has security issues. Sony's Blue Ray, and the buisness practice. Well thats a story of debate with microsoft.

I don't see the value of a Blue Ray disk, because my TV does not cover that as an option. Thus, I have no need for Blue Ray.

Blue Ray is 3 times more expensive then HDMI/HD_DVD.

The point to all of this, is that RAW is not a defined format, and thus the war is on by brand.

Chris

JayVig
06-04-2007, 01:30 PM
I honestly don't agree with the points on the Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD because i notice a difference between 1080i and 1080p running blu-ray. it's 100% apparent when compared and most TVs couldn't utilize DVDs back in the day or progressive scan and now they can. So whether the next-gen discs are necessary now or not is not the issue. they WILL be and in the not too distant future.

RAW, too, needs standardization. There's no reason for these wars. More consumers are lost in the process than an individual company can gain by using proprietary formats and holding on.