PDA

View Full Version : More night train photos (kinda)

SandPVRR
05-23-2007, 07:04 PM
At the risk of monopolizing the board - I've got another I'd like some opinions on......
This was also taken with my E-500 - tripod mounted - and the feeling I was trying to get was a sense of isolation and lack of activity between trains at a station at night. Shot at the Berlin, CT Amtrak depot on the evening of my second say of excursion.....
Comments??
-Joey

JayVig
05-23-2007, 08:00 PM
Well I get the feeling you mentioned from that shot, that's for sure. To amplify the loneliness of it all i may step to the right a bit and have a little more of the dark track going off into the distance. The other thing that takes away from the dreary feeling you were going for was the bright lights above but I'm not sure what to do about that aside from some PP work afterwards.

I did get that feeling though even looking at the thumbnail before I finished reading your post.

SandPVRR
05-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Well I get the feeling you mentioned from that shot, that's for sure. To amplify the loneliness of it all i may step to the right a bit and have a little more of the dark track going off into the distance. The other thing that takes away from the dreary feeling you were going for was the bright lights above but I'm not sure what to do about that aside from some PP work afterwards.

I did get that feeling though even looking at the thumbnail before I finished reading your post.
Jay, thanks for the compliments and the suggestion. The tough part about stepping to the right would have been not putting the blasted roof support posts in the middle of the frame. On the flip side - that could have been used as a divider to get the tracks on one and platform on the other.... Well - next time I head down that way I'll give it a whirl - can't hurt - only burning up electons :-)
-Thanks! - Joey

JayVig
05-23-2007, 08:16 PM
I thought about the posts and I was "divided" on it as well but like you said, can't hurt. It could split the photo in a good way to show the difference between the sides - light and dark and all that jazz. Let's see how it comes out. Might as well.

SandPVRR
05-23-2007, 08:22 PM
Well I shot that about an 8 hour drive from my house - so I'll let you know... :-)

ATVinBarbie
05-23-2007, 08:46 PM
I'm definately getting the feeling you were going for... but there's something about those lights over head that are a bit annoying. but.. without them... you prolly wouldn't have been able to get such a great photo. (?)

VERY nice :tup

SandPVRR
05-23-2007, 08:50 PM
Barbie,
Catch-22 I'm afraid - either take the shot with the lights or don't take it at all..... I do think I should have worked a bunch of different angles now that I think about it - but I was trying to shoot an action shot of a train too - and limiting my angles accordingly. Unfortunately - that shot didn't come out well at all, so probably should have forgotten it....
Thanks!
-Joey

JerseyMutt
05-23-2007, 10:00 PM
I like the suggestions that Jay gave. One thing I might add that might be work trying...

To add to the effect, this shot might work really well in b&w...especially with a little grain. I think this is one of those shots where grain would really add to it. As far as the lights, you may be able to turn down the highlights just a tad to take the edge off.

I really like what you were going for though. :thumb

JerseyMutt
05-23-2007, 10:27 PM
Since your profile said it was okay, I took the liberty of trying a few things out.

Here's what I came up with.

In PSP...Grayscale>Dynamic Highlight Adjustment (-30)>Add noise (uniform, 10%)

Lemme know what you think.

JayVig
05-23-2007, 10:38 PM
I like the new look as well. mutes the lights which helps.

Orgnoi1
05-24-2007, 07:19 AM
yeah there something to the first that is bothering me also... I have to attribute it to the lights... your feeling definately comes across in what you were trying to convey... maybe speeding up the shutter by one stop would have helped with the blow outs a little... also I would have done black and white but maybe not with too much grain... black and white already has a gloominess that comes along with it... and that just adds to the effect...

*edit to add... I also would have maybe tried stepping back a bit... even if it meants moving a bit further then you wanted... when somethings up close and personal it has less effect of being lonely... then a bench lit up from say "across the street" sitting there alone....

JayVig
05-24-2007, 07:29 AM
More good ideas. It's a shame that location is 8 hours away, huh?

SandPVRR
05-24-2007, 07:35 AM
Hey Ross,
You're a lot closer than I am! Probably only 3 or 4 hours away - let us know when you can get to Berlin! :-)
Good thoughts all - I'll keep them in mind...
-Joey

SandPVRR
06-13-2007, 01:17 PM
Tommy,
No problem on the tweaking - thanks for the effort!
Don't know why I didn't get a notification e-mail on this that the thread had been updated, otherwise I would have commented sooner!
I like the black and white, but either the film grain is overdone, or shouldn't be there.... In my opinion...
Due to my age I'm used to black and white images with no grain, as I've grown up in the Digital Era :-) To me its distracting and detracts from the image. Your gas mileage may vary :-)
-Joey