PDA

View Full Version : Which Flash would you guys recommend?

Striderxl
05-16-2007, 10:13 PM
I know I havent been on alot lately,but my wife has had a major car accident and havent had time the last several months to go out and use my camera,but for my birthday I am going to get a flash.I am wondering what you would get between a Canon 430 EX Speedlite or a Sigma EF 500 DG Super flash.They are priced exactly and I am torn as to what really is the better flash.

Thanks for any help.

Charlie

Orgnoi1
05-17-2007, 12:07 AM
My personal opinion (not based on usage facts) is that I would get the Canon... reason? I just have not used the Sigma before... and staying with like proprietary gear seems to have more compatability...

zacker
05-17-2007, 02:30 AM
i have heard many good things about the sigma but, like ross said, the canon wont let you down and the siggie, being a third party flash... well, if it works...fine, but if not?

Striderxl
05-17-2007, 06:24 AM
Thanks guys.I was thinking the canon and even the 580 but dont think I need that much yet,as I would like to buy another lens.Thanks again

zacker
05-17-2007, 06:51 AM
well the 430 has manual controls too... which is a good thing for those times that the ettl wont do what you want it to do.. and its a canon. Im not against 3rd party stuff but with all the computing going on between camera and flash, i can see how it might be iffy with a sigma flash!

CruzinGirl
05-17-2007, 08:56 AM
I went through the same debate and ended up buying the canon 430 EX...here is why:

-Canon stands behind their product and designs their product to work with their cameras, as opposed to a third party company who may design to be compatable with several different brands and has less invested in any one brand
-The 430 vs. 580 because, honestly, the only real difference for the user like you and me is that the 430 can only be used as a slave when using multiple flashes, whereas the 580 can act as a master to several other slave flashes. To me, I didn't plan on doing any multiple flash setups so it was not worth the extra several hundred dollars

Hope this helps :D BTW, I have never been disappointed with my choice of the 430EX

zacker
05-17-2007, 09:01 AM
I wouldnt worry about the whole slave - master thing either... it can be a real PITA at times (depending on your set up) you can easily set up a multi flash system with any of the cheapr triggers out today. with a bit of luck though, the Ebay ones will work out..they dont come highly rated but when they work, they are a good deal for the $$$ and there are mods out there to make them work better. For a multi flash system, radio triggers are your best bet anyway!

zacker
05-17-2007, 09:02 AM
By the way, for on camera flash, im only using the 420 EX and get pretty decent results so the 430 should at least be twice or 3 times better!

KDN
05-17-2007, 09:43 AM
I have the 430 and it's done great so far, I have yet to encounter a situation where I can't get good power from it. Here's an example (obviously not powerful enough here, but I was playing just to see)
This was taken about 75' (or so I can't judge distance well) away at night, there was one light behind me (or next to me) and granted it's not a great shot, but it shows you some of the power behind it...

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h308/kdncarroll/IMG_3558260207.jpg

JustinL
05-19-2007, 08:30 AM
i have the sigma super 500 and love it. never had a problem with it at all. In fact, I may pick up a 2nd for a backup. Don't be fooled by their cheap prices, they're good units.

Striderxl
05-31-2007, 07:38 PM
Guys I got the 430 for my birthday last saturday and love it so far.Still playing with it to learn it.

Sorry I havent been on to thank you guys for the posts but just got internet back today.