PDA

View Full Version : I have a portable studio now...

Teresa221
03-20-2007, 02:18 PM
I was contracted to do a dance studio shoot, so it is now time to delve into the realm of studio shooting - though it will still not be my "thing" for my business (i.e. I don't plan on posting any studio images in my website, I will probably offer "mini-shoots" to clients and friends a few times a year for these kinds of images - I'm thinking mostly for Christmas cards and such).

So, here is REAL high-key, not snow high key :D This is my hubby BTW! He was my practice subject.

http://rieder-family.dyndns.org/images/IMG_0424_edited-1.jpg

http://rieder-family.dyndns.org/images/IMG_0437_edited-1.jpg

And here is how the setup looked - softbox umbrella on the main light on him, large reflector (silver side) to even out the light on his other side, umbrella light on the backdrop (which is a 10x20 white muslin).

http://rieder-family.dyndns.org/images/IMG_0431_edited-1.jpg

I was using both my 5D and 20D (my 17-85 only fits on the 20D). Mostly with the 85mm lens (I believe the top two are both 5D/85mm and the bottom one is 20D/17-85mm). Any cc welcome - this is my first try at strobes (well, other than my flash).

CruzinGirl
03-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Cool setup!!! I look at that and think, "where the heck would i store that???" lol

I like the poses, which seem more natural than forced.....the only thing I notice about the images is that the edges of the gentleman in them seem blocky and pixelized....maybe its partly caused by the drastic contrast of the brown on the white background, maybe partly caused by over sharpening on post-processing? I'm not sure, but I noticed it more along his back on picture two and three and along his legs in picture 3.

I'm sure you are having fun with this new setup though....who knows, maybe you'll decide you like doing mini-shoots!!! Congrats on your purchase!!!

Teresa221
03-20-2007, 03:21 PM
Hmmm, not seeing any pixelization. Dh post processed these - but I'm almost certain he didn't sharpen any more than a de-fog. I just looked again at the image at 100%, no pixels for me?

All this stuff folds up WAY flatter than you would expect! I can fit it all in the trunk of my Saturn wagon if that is any indicator! The drop do folds very small.

For now I'm keeping it at my dh's practice space though (where those shots were taken). It wasn't nearly as hard to setup as I thought either. It probably only took 20-30 minutes.

Thanks!!

zacker
03-20-2007, 03:21 PM
wow first try and you did really good.... love it. very nice BG for no BG lite as well, any PP dont to it besides the usual? and I gotta ask... what are you using for lighting? name? wattage? link? lol

CruzinGirl
03-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Hmmm, not seeing any pixelization. Dh post processed these - but I'm almost certain he didn't sharpen any more than a de-fog. I just looked again at the image at 100%, no pixels for me?

All this stuff folds up WAY flatter than you would expect! I can fit it all in the trunk of my Saturn wagon if that is any indicator! The drop do folds very small.

For now I'm keeping it at my dh's practice space though (where those shots were taken). It wasn't nearly as hard to setup as I thought either. It probably only took 20-30 minutes.

Thanks!!

Maybe its just the way it is coming across in the post then.

Wow, that is really good setup time and impressive that you fit it in a saturn wagon! Sounds like its easily portable which makes it even nicer!!!

Teresa221
03-20-2007, 03:29 PM
Here is the lights -

http://www.skaeser.com/servlet/Detail?no=430

I bought the backdrop stand from the same place too. My drop I bought from someone on another photog board - but it's just a simple white muslin.

I'm not sure exactly what PP'ing he did. He did mention not anything elaborate. He did say he magic wanded the bacground to make it uniform white and hide the muslin wrinkles (I have a steamer that I will use in the future, but just wanted to get this stuff up and practice). I think he also did slight curves. Here is the SOOC image of one

http://rieder-family.dyndns.org/images/IMG_0424_edited-1_SOOC.jpg

convergent
03-20-2007, 03:50 PM
Cool setup!!! I look at that and think, "where the heck would i store that???" lol

The studio equipment does store pretty well. I've got 4 sets of lights, backdrops, and even some specialty backdrops in my office and it all fits on half of two rack/shelf units in my office. I'll try to post some fisheye shots of my office later.

Teresa,
Good work with the new lights. By the way, you can buy white muslin from Walmart's fabric department pretty cheap. Also, don't worry about ironing your backdrop. I actually ball mine up into their bags for storage. The wrinkles give them some texture and you should have the backdrop far enough away from the subject so that its out of focus and you'll not see the wrinkles. You just have to make sure of that, as every once in a while I blow that and have to process them out in PS.

zacker
03-20-2007, 04:17 PM
oh i see it now, the little one on the right was pointing at the BG..lol cool little set up Teresa!!