PDA

View Full Version : Gary Fong's new Whale Tail

convergent
03-15-2007, 03:33 PM
I have a Gary Fong Lightsphere II, and it is always a conversation piece when I use it... looks like a large Tupperware bowl/dome on your flashgun. Well he's at it again and has a new, and very versatile diffuser coming out... the Whail Tail!

http://www.xanga.com/garyfong1/575833360/item.html

zacker
03-15-2007, 03:54 PM
lol looks like a mini toilet!!!

Id rather make and use "A better bounce card" Esp around drunks!!! lol thanks Mike!

KDN
03-15-2007, 05:09 PM
I love my better bounce card, but that thing looks like it would be fun to play with. I think I'd get confused LOL

convergent
03-15-2007, 05:14 PM
The man is a marketing genious. Check out the comment about the Lightsphere II in the announcement for the new product. He said that he's sold 88,000 of them. They sell for about $30 a piece. Running the numbers, thats $2.64M. I am guessing that it can cost more than a couple bucks a piece to make it... it is essentially a piece of tupperware. Probably there were thousands of dollars of die fees up front, then the per unit costs would be pretty minimal. The problem is that with that one he needs a different die for each different flashgun he sells it for. With the new one, it is a one size fits all arrangement so he'll have a smaller startup cost to cover all the flash guns out there now, and in the future.

convergent
03-15-2007, 05:18 PM
I stand corrected, the LSII is $49 now! That would be $4.3M... and he has a lot of other stuff he sells too... like the "How to Get Rich as a Photographer" DVD series. Like I said... he's the Bill Gates of the photographer world.

zacker
03-15-2007, 07:01 PM
yeah I guess so.. I think now that there are sooo many cameras being sold, the trick is to find some other thing to get photographers to buy... something they just cant live without. now I gotta think of something to sell...Hmmmm ..

dye1337
05-24-2007, 07:44 PM
i think i'll pass on any of his products including the mini toilet...

zacker
05-24-2007, 09:34 PM
yeah..me too. I dont get it... can he really have sold so many? every site im on, there seems to be a thread full of people laughing at it. The one on strobists is the best..lol,lol,lol...

StudioCMC
05-24-2007, 09:45 PM
Have ya ever done a Google search for Images of "Whale Tail"
Clue: Your not going too find what you think...

Chris

zacker
05-25-2007, 07:04 AM
Have ya ever done a Google search for Images of "Whale Tail"
Clue: Your not going too find what you think...

Chris

OMG!!!! :eek: :eek:

lol
now, how do you add to "my Favorites" again? :D

Teresa221
05-25-2007, 11:46 AM
He certainly does make interesting looking contraptions!

I have the LS as well, and I bought it mostly because I didn't think it would look at all professional to have a homemade diffuser on my flash. Not that the giant piece of tupperware is much better! LOL!

I haven't been terrribly happy with it, but see how it will be useful to me in some situations. I prefer to bounce the flash when I'm indoors though. With the little "catchlight maker" that the 580EX has, it just creates smoother light (and a better catchlight!).

JayVig
05-25-2007, 11:56 AM
OMG!!!! :eek: :eek:

lol
now, how do you add to "my Favorites" again? :D

You definitely searched for it. As soon as I saw Chris' post, I sat back to watch and see who searched for it and what their reactions were.

zacker
05-25-2007, 12:31 PM
You definitely searched for it. As soon as I saw Chris' post, I sat back to watch and see who searched for it and what their reactions were.

hey, allways up for new ideas!!!:D :D :D