PDA

View Full Version : I hate doing my taxes!!!

convergent
03-13-2007, 10:47 AM
When I say "doing my taxes", I mean just getting my information together. I decided to abandon Quickbooks a couple of years ago because I was spending more time entering information into it than I was doing work. I found it was easier to just go through all my account records at the end of the year and pull it together rather than dealing with it on a daily basis. I believe I'm about 99.9% accurate doing it this way. The problem is I have 4 businesses now that I'm running... none of them huge, but the amount of effort to go through all the records and pull it together to do my taxes is a lot. I also got bumped to annual sales tax payment last year and that's do this week too... so I have to go through all my past records and figure that out. Sales tax varies by county, so I have to determine counties of each transaction. I used to have an online mailorder business and that was the root of a lot of the complexity since each transaction resulted in about 4 accounting transactions with the credit card, tax, etc. to deal with.. .and each had to be manually researched to determine county. I've stopped doing that part of the business so things are a little easier in that regard. I may actually re-look at using Quickbooks after this years workload to pull tax records together.

CruzinGirl
03-13-2007, 10:55 AM
And I was all ready to say..."Me too!!! It really sucks having to enter all of my info into TurboTax or TaxCut!!!" But now I see that my 4 jobs I have to claim leave me a lot better off than you!!! I do have to get mine done too though....I'm such a procrastinator when it comes to stuff like this!

sandcmom
03-13-2007, 12:32 PM
As an accountant, I can remember the days when I did other peoples taxes--There's nothing worse than a box job.

I'm glad I don't do taxes anymore, but I still hate doing my own stuff. My problem is that I use Quicken, but not to its fullest capacity. Shame on me--it would make most of my itemized deductions a snap.

convergent
03-13-2007, 01:08 PM
Well in my case, my CPA has it pretty easy... I have a printout of all my numbers and just rattle them off to him as he goes through the dialog. So its not a box job for him. For me its a box/computer/files type effort. Everything is here, its just a matter or reconciling everything. The biggest problem is the credit card transactions... the fees and percentages are difficult to figure out, and this what led me to abandon Quickbooks in the past. Quickbooks doesn't deal with things not coming out right.

Orgnoi1
03-13-2007, 01:21 PM
This was the first year that I was EXTREMELY happy with my taxes... I mean I have a good looking accountant:love ... made some nice money back... and spent it about 2 days after getting it back...LOL :doh

convergent
03-13-2007, 01:35 PM
Well I will be happy if I don't owe anything.

Irishpub3
03-13-2007, 02:02 PM
Come on Mike... accounting is fun :D Seriously tho, maybe you want to hire a bookkeeper part time to help keep track for you throughout the year...? You can find part time help / bookkeepers who will take on clients even for just a couple hours a month or something... I've done that sort of work before for a few people / small companies... You can usually find someone for in the $10-15/hr range...

CruzinGirl
03-13-2007, 02:30 PM
Omg, I'm so glad that I just have to fill in the blanks online!!! Remind me not to get into the complicated stuff!!! lol

convergent
03-13-2007, 05:29 PM
Come on Mike... accounting is fun :D Seriously tho, maybe you want to hire a bookkeeper part time to help keep track for you throughout the year...? You can find part time help / bookkeepers who will take on clients even for just a couple hours a month or something... I've done that sort of work before for a few people / small companies... You can usually find someone for in the $10-15/hr range...

I really need to hire and all around assistant I think. I have thought about it for some time. I spend so much time doing all the things that I shouldn't be doing, and not enough time on the things I should. I could certainly justify bringing on a person to help. Ideally if I could find someone that had some photography interests and also was good with people... that would be a bonus. My wife could actually do all of this quite well, but she doesn't really want to do it.

convergent
03-13-2007, 05:42 PM
This time of year it always amazes me how much flippin' money I spend in a year to have a little left over.