PDA

View Full Version : Rotating photos

cornick
03-07-2007, 10:05 AM
Since I shoot in portrait I need to rotate my pictures on the pc so I'm not cranking my neck. :)

Is there a way of doing an entire folder at a time instead of individually? That kinda gets old...

Thanks!

convergent
03-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Jeff, there are many ways to do it. The key is to do "lossless" rotation. If you don't use a technique that is specifically identified as "lossless", it may be resaving your JPEG files which is destructive and loses part of your original detail. There used to be a few utilities on the market that just did that. I have been using Photo Mechanic for this lately, but it is a $150 tool that has some pretty specialized uses... not for everyone. I am now playing with Lightroom, but thus far haven't gotten far enough into it to understand how it works. I know exactly what you are talking about though.... My problem is that I like to get my images into my system, rotated, and get the bad ones vetted out as quickly as possible. Then if anyone looks at them from any computer they are rotated properly. You could do rotation in the camera, but the problem with that is that then they are rotated when you try to review them in the camera... which is not what anyone would want. If you are shooting vertical, you obviously would want to review your images vertically. So, I don't do in camera rotation.

Hey... different subject... you asked last night if I got the dunk. I didn't, because it was on the other end of the court. But, did you use see the Times Union today? James, the TU photographer that was sitting next to me in the second half showed me that shot on his camera last night. He got a perfect hanging shot. He's good. I listen to how many shutter releases he has compared to me... he's taking a lot less pictures but obviously getting great results. I was thinking I'd be set for the second half where I was sitting, but the game blew open before then and their start player was pretty much coasting in the second half.

stoneylonesome
03-07-2007, 10:54 AM
I no you can do it in DPP (digital photo professional) from Canon, Just highligh the ones you want rotated and click on adjustment and select either right or left rotate

Or hit the rotate right or left buttons.

convergent
03-07-2007, 11:22 AM
I no you can do it in DPP (digital photo professional) from Canon, Just highligh the ones you want rotated and click on adjustment and select either right or left rotate

Or hit the rotate right or left buttons.

Do you know if DPP rotation is lossless?

One other thing I've run into is some programs just do a soft rotation... meaning they rotate the thumbnail and set something in the file data to signal that program to rotate it... but if you opened it in another program then it wouldn't be rotated. I believe the in-camera rotation may work that way with DPP... DPP knows its rotated but other programs don't. This is a good and confusing topic.

stoneylonesome
03-07-2007, 12:50 PM
Do you know if DPP rotation is lossless?

One other thing I've run into is some programs just do a soft rotation... meaning they rotate the thumbnail and set something in the file data to signal that program to rotate it... but if you opened it in another program then it wouldn't be rotated. I believe the in-camera rotation may work that way with DPP... DPP knows its rotated but other programs don't. This is a good and confusing topic.

Seeing as I shoot in RAW lossless is never a problem. I have rotated in PSP but I don't know if I can batch rotate same as zoombrowser (canon) Loss of image quality from my understanding only applies from saving Jpeg's and reopening that you start to lose quality.

convergent
03-07-2007, 03:46 PM
I tried this program a year ago, and just tried downloading it and giving it another go. It is called BetterJPEG at http://betterjpeg.com . It can do a number of functions on JPEGs in a lossless, or non-lossy manner. Normally if you do anything to a JPEG, it is recompressed and resaved resulting in destruction of some of the data. BetterJPEG allows you to crop, rotate, stamp, and apply red-eye reduction without recompressing the whole image. If it needs to alter anything, it only recompresses the blocks effected. Rotation is lossless in any case. It can batch rotate. As a test, I rotated a directory of 350 8megapixel images which were stored on a network drive (GigaE network) and it took about 20 minutes to complete the task. While not lightning fast, I don't think it is a lot slower than any other tool I've tried to use. I also tried its redeye reduction and it works quite well. BetterJPEG is available for a free 30 day trial, after which it would cost $24.95 for a license. There is also a Photoshop Plug-In available, although I didn't try that.

cornick
03-08-2007, 09:16 AM
I've just been doing it in Photoshop. I'm guessing that's bad from what you guys are saying..

convergent
03-08-2007, 09:40 AM
Well, read the info at BetterJPEG.com . According to them, Photoshop always recompresses the file when you save it, so rotating in Photoshop will kill part of the file. They have a plug-in that helps that. Another tool that I've used is Irfanview . It has an option for lossless rotation, but no batch tool. It is a great viewer though, and its free. It is what I use for viewing on all my computers. I actually used to have a very good batch rotation tool that only did rotation. The company that I got it from isn't around anymore. It was very fast and it worked great... but I only had a trial version and when I went to buy it, the website was gone. :( I'm fooling around with Lightroom now, but its workflow is completely based on keeping the original images untouched... so you'd not see the images rotated if you viewed them outside of Lightroom.

cornick
03-08-2007, 11:14 AM
I've also used Ifranview for sometime and like the software.

But for printing pictures, does it *really* matter that it's getting recompressed?

convergent
03-08-2007, 11:34 AM
I've also used Ifranview for sometime and like the software.

But for printing pictures, does it *really* matter that it's getting recompressed?

If you are keeping the originals, it doesn't matter. Realistically, you'd probably be hard pressed to notice what got lost in a print... but if you did this a few times, you'd surely have a problem. What could also happen is that you might get some artifacting that is visible. If all you are doing is rotating though, you don't need to do that to print.... you can just change the orientation on the printer. My workflow is that I always keep the originals, but I do try to rotate them right away in a lossless way... because my family goes into my libraries from other computers to look at pictures I've taken... and I don't want them messing them up trying to rotate them. Back to my workflow... if I do anything to an image, then I save it in a separate folder with the folder that has the pictures in it... so if I'm printing 4x6 prints, I'll save the image as 4x6filename.jpg. Then if I want to print another 4x6, I can grab that file. If I want to print something else, I'd go back to original. Although, lately I've started just popping the 4x6 snapshot prints through without any processing.... to save time.