PDA

View Full Version : CompUSA Closing Over Half Their Stores!

convergent
03-02-2007, 03:43 AM
This story about CompUSA is somewhat related to photography since a) they sell digital cameras, and b) they are the only local store that you can buy a lot of computer components that you need for photo processing. They broke the news to 126 of their stores today that they'd be closing up within the next 60-90 days. The Latham Farms store in the Albany area was spared, although they closed stores in 7 other NY locations.... Amherst, West Nyack, Garden City, Hauppauge, Farmingdale, White Plains, and Queens.

Here is a list of the only remaining stores in the Northeast - only 12 will remain. If your store isn't on the list, then its closing...

Connecticutt - Manchester, Orange
DC - none
Maine - none
Maryland - Columbia, Towson
Massachusetts - Holyoke
New Hampshire - Nashua, Salem
New Jersey - Mt. Laurel
New York - Albany, Rochester, Manhattan (2)
Pennsylvania - Pittsburgh
Vermont - none

Orgnoi1
03-02-2007, 08:51 AM
Well it looks like we are safe for now... they always seem very busy... I wonder why the restructuring... The place has always been great for items you need "on the fly" albiet fairly expensive...

nvr2low
03-02-2007, 08:56 AM
the syracuse store closed a couple of months ago. made for some great deals if you needed anything at the time.

convergent
03-02-2007, 09:27 AM
Well it looks like we are safe for now... they always seem very busy... I wonder why the restructuring... The place has always been great for items you need "on the fly" albiet fairly expensive...

They are great for buying stuff on the fly, and every time I'm in there I see people at the checkout buying whole systems. I figured they were struggling, however, when they carved out a big chunk of the store to sell plasma and LCD TVs.

I think their biggest problem is probably their attitude. I've had a number of battles with them over the year and found the whole organization pretty much non-customer-oriented. Twice I bought their extended warrenty programs and couldn't get them to do exactly what was stated in the warranty documentation I received when I bought it. In one case I went all the way to the Regional Manager's office and found the whole lot of them blatantly dishonest and not giving a thought about whether they hosed me or not. Many of their staff are arrogant and unknowledgable, which is a bad combination.

There are some lights in the place though... like the friendly lady that has worked in returns for the whole time the store has been there. She has always treated me well and been friendly and courteous.

After boycotting them several times, I finally came to realize that my not buying from them wasn't really going to cause anyone pain but me. So, if I need stuff, I will go there and get it... but only if I can't find it anywhere else locally. I have spent a ton of money with them over the years.

zacker
03-02-2007, 01:51 PM
damn them!! i used to go to the orange store all the time, its about 3 blocks away from my work!!!

sandcmom
03-05-2007, 05:47 PM
looks like my Mt Laurel store made the cut....I hadn't seen this story.