PDA

View Full Version : Snow along the Thames

TomNanos
02-27-2007, 09:57 PM
Caught P&W train NR-2 running in the snow along a very calm Thames River today (2/27) in Ledyard, CT.

http://www.nanosphoto.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/wm__MG_5411.jpg

JerseyMutt
02-27-2007, 11:53 PM
Wow Tom...

That is simply gorgeous. I wish I could come up with something a bit more wordy, but it is a beautiful photo. :D

convergent
02-28-2007, 07:44 AM
Yep, this is a great shot. I don't think I've ever seen a shot with an engine on the front and the back... except with commuter type trains. Great catch.

nvr2low
02-28-2007, 07:46 AM
great shot, i like it. im not a huge train fan like all of you but the more i see these shots the more i think about trying to find a couple good places in syracuse to shoot them.

TomNanos
02-28-2007, 07:49 AM
Thanks guys!

Mike-

That's standard practice for the P&W down here in southeast and southern CT. Reason being is they provide freight service along Amtrak's Northeast Corridor - where the Acelas run. Because they have a small time window to do any switching of customers on the Corridor, they need power at both ends of the train to make switching moves quicker. Also, to reverse directions doesn't require a runaround (where the locomotive uncouples from the train, switches to an adjacent track, and moves to the other end of the train). Amtrak would frown upon using two tracks for one train. The goal is for P&W to do their work without impacting Amtrak's schedules.

-Tom