PDA

View Full Version : SD Cards

bladepurveyor
02-26-2007, 11:32 PM
Can anyone tell me what kind of SD card I should buy...When I got my S3is it came with a 1GB Transends card....it sells for $7.99...I want to get a few spare cards and was looking at 2 GB cards....I was just visiting Newegg and they have 2GB SD cards from $13.49 to $93.99.. what should I look for...:doh

Orgnoi1
02-27-2007, 06:29 AM
As long as you stick with one of the main brand names you wont have any problems... the main deal with the different speeds really doesnt have to do with camera to card operations... more for card/camera to PC operations... I have been running a Sandisk Ultra II 1gb in my 1D Mark II for a long time as a backup card and its been fine whenever I used it... its really my only camera that takes SD anymore... but I am sure Transcend, SanDisk, PNY, and a few others will all meet your needs...

zacker
02-27-2007, 08:41 AM
yeah stay with the good name brands Ross mentioned and dont buy em off ebay there are allot of Pirated cards there... fake, phony, Fugazzi, whatever... they look like the real thing but arent!

convergent
02-27-2007, 09:04 AM
I recommend SanDisk or Lexar for cards. I am not sure I agree with Ross on the speed though. First off, in a DSLR with a big buffer, it isn't much of an issue. I don't know about Point & Shoots and whether they have buffers or not. If they don't, then the speed of the card will directly effect how fast you can shoot. Second, it does directly effect the speed of loading your pictures from card to computer, as Ross said, so it is a time saver to get the faster cards.

Using PriceWatch, the lowest price I found for SanDisk UltraII was $29 at Beach Camera. I bought two 1DMk2s and a bunch of 580EXs and lenses from Beach... they are a reputable reseller. http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/product.aspx?omid=125&ref=pricewatch&utm_source=PriceWatch&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SDSD1GULTRAII&sku=SDSD1GULTRAII

That said, I have bought most of my cards from NewEgg. They are $31.99 for these... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820180615 .

I would buy from one of these guys given their prices. I have about 12 SanDisk Ultra II cards and they seem to perform very well.

bladepurveyor
02-27-2007, 09:53 AM
Thanks guys...:) as always I appreciate the help...

Orgnoi1
02-27-2007, 09:57 AM
The reason I stated speed really doesnt matter... is that most people dont run a point and shoot to the speed that would induce a need for buffer... of course there are exceptions to the rule... but a point and shoot inherently isnt fast... my Pro-1 barely can shoot a frame a second..

convergent
02-27-2007, 10:24 AM
The reason I stated speed really doesnt matter... is that most people dont run a point and shoot to the speed that would induce a need for buffer... of course there are exceptions to the rule... but a point and shoot inherently isnt fast... my Pro-1 barely can shoot a frame a second..

Right, but I didn't know if all Point & Shoots even have a buffer at all... in which case it would directly effect the shooting speed. I just checked and it looks like the S3 does have a 20 shot buffer (not positive about that, but a quick Google seemed to indicate that) so it wouldn't necessarily effect shooting speed, but maybe buffer clearing speed. It definitely effects load to computer time. Anyways, the price delta between the standard SanDisk and the UltraII is only about $3 per card at NewEgg, and at BeachCamera the standard card is more expensive than the UltraII, so I'd definitely recommend getting the UltraII.

CruzinGirl
02-27-2007, 02:26 PM
I wouldn't worry about getting a faster card unless you are getting into the pro level stuff.....I have used a regular speed card the entire time on both my 1D and s3is (yup, I have one too).

There is somethign to be said for sticking with name brands....they are going to be more reliable in the long run. Although I did pick up a few $10 impact brand cards to have on hand as extras incase I run out while doing videos or something with the s3is. (I also use SanDisk and PNY and have had no problem with any of the cards, name brand or not)

Really I would say its more important to remember not to go too big on the card. You are better off having 3 1g cards in case one crashes....if you only use a 2g or 3g card and it crashes you have lost everything. And there is no guarentee that a name brand one won't crash, they just have a better track record.

Watch your Staples and Office Max ads...I just picked up SanDisk 1g Compact Flash cards at staples for $15 each. The SD cards were the same price.