PDA

View Full Version : Back from Florida!!

TomNanos
02-24-2007, 10:17 PM
And a 26 hour drive straight through!!! Well, Jill & I split, but I did most of it as she's fighting a cold. Heading to bed now as the 20+ GB of RAWs transfer to my PC....

Some may have noticed that my pictures here on the forum (as well as my website in general) may have disappeared for a bit. Aparently we lost power here at the house early Friday morning, and the duration was longer than the 20 minutes the UPS provides. My guess is somewhere around 6 hours without juice. But since I was a good 1500 miles away, I couldn't flip the power switch when they restored service...working on a remote for that one... ;) :D

Damn I'm tired, and wired at the same time....bed is calling....

Orgnoi1
02-25-2007, 06:23 AM
Well glad you are back.. and from your posts interim... looks like you had a good vacation... =)

zacker
02-25-2007, 07:29 AM
welcome back Tom!!

TomNanos
02-25-2007, 07:39 AM
Yeah, everyone had a blast! Unfortunatley for Jill & I, the kids kept their normal sleep pattern on the drive home, and were awake and chipper as ever at 7 this morning....ugh....

Off to the store for some breakfast...no food in the house... I see a nap in my future.... :D

nvr2low
02-25-2007, 09:14 AM
welcome back, cant wait to see the pics from the trip

ATVinBarbie
02-26-2007, 08:12 PM
welcome back, cant wait to see the pics from the trip

Ditto. :tup

NOW it's time for a vacation from the vacation to catch up on some rest. ;)

aceman152
02-27-2007, 07:22 PM
Hope you enjoy the trip....I am about to make the drive from the panhandle to upstate NY tomorrow morning. Any advice on construction and stuff for 95?

TomNanos
02-27-2007, 07:25 PM
Trip was great - hopefully I can get some pix posted in the next few days. Still digging out at work and unpacking at home.

As for I-95 - we really didn't hit any traffic. There's the perpetual construction at the southern end of Gerogia and around DC, but we didn't get held up by any of it. Then again, we traveled on Saturday... :D The trip down was on a Thursday, and the only real traffic we hit was in Stamford, CT and I think right around Baltamore (both were from accidents).

convergent
02-28-2007, 08:01 AM
A belated welcome back to the great cold Northeast! Funny story you reminded me of. A consultant I worked with on a project at Gillette a few years ago was really into this home automation stuff. He had wired up a lot of stuff with his house and had it all hooked up to a website that he could monitor. He could go and look at a remote control webcam, and check the temperture in the house... while he was travelling. Well, he was there working and checked it and the website said the temperture in the house was about 30 degrees colder than it was supposed to be, and falling. Typical geek... he assumed that there must be something wrong with his program so he was pulling his hair out trying to figure out what was wrong. It never occurred to him that his heat had stopped working and his pipes ended up freezing and ruining a bunch of stuff. So the intended purpose of the whole setup didn't happen because he didn't trust what he built! It was funny, but it wasn't... if you know what I mean.

You should check into the Autotrain. Thats the way we always go to Florida these days. Its pretty convenient because you can pack all your junk in your car and just drive it all right on the train... no airports to deal with... and no 26 hour drives. Its extra convenient for us because we have a lot of friends that live in the DC area so we can stay over with them, have a visit, then catch the train the next day. But even without that, its not bad. The train leaves at 4pm and arrives in Orlando at 9am the next morning. Its is technically a non-stop train, although they do stop once in the middle of the night to do some train maintenance... but you can't get off. Included in the price you get dinner and breakfast in the dining car. They also show a movie ... used to be in a movie car, but now they do that in the lounge car. It is a lot of fun and our kids always enjoyed it... it made the trip more of an adventure.

Well, welcome home!

Anyways, welcome back.