PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista?

stoneylonesome
02-20-2007, 07:44 PM
OK has anyotI work with just bought a new laptop with Vista installed, said it's been nothing but a big headache, won't run half his programs, trouble conecting to the net. Just wondering if anyone else has had problems.

ATVinBarbie
02-20-2007, 08:13 PM
Hey Sandy.... funny you posted this. I just bought a new computer less than a week ago and it has Vista.... I was pulling my hair out for the first day or so trying to get connected to the internet. (everything else seemed fine) finally.... I opened McAfee AV and disabled the "phishing" tool and presto.... lightning fast internet connection!

THAT is the ONLY problem I've encountered so far.

I did buy the whole package.... tower, keyboard, mouse and a SWEET 19" HD widescreen flatscreen. (yes... LONG over-due for me to get a new computer LOL)

Geek Squad claims that the problems they've been seeing is when people try to use older hardware. Vista wasn't recognizing drivers (something like that)

I frequently have run my AV and Spybot and Adaware programs and so far... all good.

Darn Phishing tool.... :Hammer

stoneylonesome
02-20-2007, 08:33 PM
Hey Sandy.... funny you posted this. I just bought a new computer less than a week ago and it has Vista.... I was pulling my hair out for the first day or so trying to get connected to the internet. (everything else seemed fine) finally.... I opened McAfee AV and disabled the "phishing" tool and presto.... lightning fast internet connection!

THAT is the ONLY problem I've encountered so far.

I did buy the whole package.... tower, keyboard, mouse and a SWEET 19" HD widescreen flatscreen. (yes... LONG over-due for me to get a new computer LOL)

Geek Squad claims that the problems they've been seeing is when people try to use older hardware. Vista wasn't recognizing drivers (something like that)

I frequently have run my AV and Spybot and Adaware programs and so far... all good.

Darn Phishing tool.... :Hammer

Good to hear you're not having to many problems, I hate some of the new security things, I'm running XP with AVG security on my laptop and I've had shut off the phishing tool also.

My friend did tell me that the biggest problem is that vista wouldn't allow him to run Firefox.

ATVinBarbie
02-20-2007, 08:36 PM
Good to hear you're not having to many problems, I hate some of the new security things, I'm running XP with AVG security on my laptop and I've had shut off the phishing tool also.

My friend did tell me that the biggest problem is that vista wouldn't allow him to run Firefox.

I installed----> uninstalled ----->reinstalled Firefox 4 times before it would run. and haven't had a problem.

Talk to him and have him check his AV, firewall, phishing settings.... reboot then try to reinstall Firefox.

ATVinBarbie
02-20-2007, 08:37 PM
Oh yeah.... I said a lot of cuss words near the end.... I think THAT is what did the trick. That and I threatened the computer it might be going back in the box and back to the store. ;)

convergent
02-20-2007, 10:42 PM
I'm in the midst of a catastrophic XP Professional problem where I'm probably going to have to build from scratch, but no way would I go to Vista at this point. I have way to many programs to deal with that I want to wait until I'm sure they all stable on it before moving. Probably will wait about 6 months. I contemplated just buying a new tower today to move to, rather than rebuilding... but the fact that they all have Vista on them led me to pass on that option.

JerseyMutt
02-20-2007, 10:50 PM
I will not even begin to mess w/ Vista until SP2 comes out. I'm fine with XP for now. It took me long enough before my stubborn self would even switch from Win2K.

ATVinBarbie
02-21-2007, 08:02 PM
Well guys.... I had the same computer for 8 years and was operating on Windows 98SE... and would NOT allow me or ANYONE to upgrade to a different version of Windows... Ross tried also... and NO WAY.... my HP Pavillion would NOT allow it. It's still a great computer... but I was well over-due to get a new one. I have NO regreats... so far. I click and snap.... pages load like they should. :happy

stoneylonesome
02-21-2007, 08:21 PM
I will not even begin to mess w/ Vista until SP2 comes out. I'm fine with XP for now. It took me long enough before my stubborn self would even switch from Win2K.

I'm with you. "If it ain't BROKE, don't FIX IT", windows XP is chugging along fine for me.

stoneylonesome
02-21-2007, 08:23 PM
I'm in the midst of a catastrophic XP Professional problem where I'm probably going to have to build from scratch, but no way would I go to Vista at this point. I have way to many programs to deal with that I want to wait until I'm sure they all stable on it before moving. Probably will wait about 6 months. I contemplated just buying a new tower today to move to, rather than rebuilding... but the fact that they all have Vista on them led me to pass on that option.

Exactly why I bought my laptop 2 days before they introduced Vista. I knew if I waited I'd be stuck with it.

zacker
02-21-2007, 09:47 PM
im on XP pro on my laptop, xp pro on christines machine, xp home on my desk top and one of my comps at work is xp pro and the other is win 2000... Im not getting VISTA till its replacement comes out...lol

convergent
02-21-2007, 10:27 PM
Well now I have a decision to make. It appears my XP Pro CD is corrupt... amazing luck. I installed it about 5 times in the last 2 days no problem... once I got my hardware squared away and tried again, now it won't install and stops with a problem with a file half way through. It makes no sense, but I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with the hardware ... it installed once and wouldn't after that with no hardware changes. So decisions, decisions... do I buy a new copy of XP Pro... or buy Vista and give it a shot? I don't really want to run XP Home which is what I've been building on all night.