PDA

View Full Version : The Macs they are a calling... another XP fiasco for me!

convergent
02-20-2007, 05:47 PM
So what have I spent the majority of the day doing? Trying to get my XP computer to actual work again. Started out with a spiraling problem with my USB ports slowly getting to where none would work. Then I decided to reinstall Windows XP, chosing the "safe" method of upgrading to itself. Somewhere around 10am this morning that went south and I've been having fun every since. Still nothing... dead in the water and trying every concievable option to avoid a full build from scratch, but looking more like that by the minute.

zacker
02-20-2007, 10:53 PM
damn mike, that stinks... hopefully all will work out good for ya!

nvr2low
02-20-2007, 11:43 PM
been there a few times my self and after listening to all the engineers at work with macs im thinking about making the switch when i can afford it. good luck

convergent
02-20-2007, 11:44 PM
I managed to get windows back installed after doing hours of deconstruction / reconstruction, but now it won't hold the video drivers for anything... it keeps reverting back to 640x480 8 color VGA... if you can imagine what my desktop looks like with that. I've pulled and reinstalled the drivers a million times and can't get it to take. This is killing me because I just remembered there are some images I need for a project I'm doing tomorrow that are on here and I have to get them off.

convergent
02-21-2007, 10:21 AM
Well, after many hours I managed to get it working again, only to find that I was totally hosed. Internet Explorer 7 now gets an error on any attempt to go to any page. A little Googling (on a different computer) left me with the knowledge that this is Microsoft's way of hosing you for upgrading the browser. If you reinstall XP after installing IE7, you've sealed your doom. There is no way to then uninstall IE7 so you can properly install it, yet the reinstall of XP doesn't succesfully put everything back in place for IE6 to work correctly... so dead in the water. The only solution is a fresh "format the drive and start over" reinstall. I did manage to get my mail files and other stuff off before I got to reinstalling. I inventoried all the programs that I'll have to reinstall... only 123 programs, of which I regularly use probably 2/3 of them. :( :( :(

I think I've managed to live with this machine for several years without having a fresh install... I think even through a motherboard upgrade because the board isn't horribly old. In any event, this won't be fun, but it is a cleaning job that was probalby needed.

Those Macs they are a calling... but alas, a lot of my programs won't run on a Mac and so I'm stuck in Redmondville.

Orgnoi1
02-21-2007, 11:25 AM
I inventoried all the programs that I'll have to reinstall... only 123 programs, of which I regularly use probably 2/3 of them.

I am in DESPERATE need of a reinstall... but its the same reason I dont do it... maybe soon though... I really need to take a few days out of my schedule to assess things...

zacker
02-21-2007, 02:00 PM
mike, will Fire Fox run on it? Macs with the intel chips will run Windows no? I want a mac too..... id love to wag the big middle finger at Mr. gates someday, too bad the $ of Macs wont come down, if they did, i bet you'd see alot more people crossing over!

convergent
02-21-2007, 05:58 PM
I am in DESPERATE need of a reinstall... but its the same reason I dont do it... maybe soon though... I really need to take a few days out of my schedule to assess things...

Well, after much soul searching I have concluded that if I'm going to go through all this, I should do it on newer hardware. I had a P4 mobo and CPU. Actually, after I installed XP Pro on a new SATA drive with that board, I couldn't get the BIOS to enable it to boot from that drive. SATA was more of an afterthought when that board was made, in comparison to now where its the mainstream.

I've always bought my parts at the computer fairs, but the next one is a month away and I need to get this thing going. I went ahead and spend around $1000 and bought new parts.... new Intel Core2 E6400, 2Gig of RAM, and an ASUS motherboard. Of course, all the new motherboards are PCI-Express so the AGP video card I bought a month ago won't work... so a new nVidia Dual DVI video card also. Man, it makes you think about just buying a system rather than building it... but I assume this way that if something does break I can just replace that part instead of dealing with proprietary stuff. This setup is near the top of TomsHardware's performance scale (within reason) for Photoshop CS2 work, which is one of my main uses. After a bit of housecleaning and fiddling, I now have it built and loading XP. This thing seems to be pretty peppy in the loading department, so hopefull by dinner time I'll have a functional system ... but without all the apps.

Back to the apps... what I'm dreading is that many of my apps have "issues"... activated software like Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Office, etc. that is going to have a fit when I try to install it again. And there there are all the purchase / download products I'll have to find my activation codes for. And of course I'm sure there is a set of apps that I've thrown out the box that had the activation code on it. I did that one time when I was cleaning the family room... threw out all the boxes for my son's games.... and then we couldn't reinstall them ... ever.

convergent
02-21-2007, 06:00 PM
mike, will Fire Fox run on it? Macs with the intel chips will run Windows no? I want a mac too..... id love to wag the big middle finger at Mr. gates someday, too bad the $ of Macs wont come down, if they did, i bet you'd see alot more people crossing over!

Firefox will run, but if you can't run IE at all you are basically hosed. There are so many things behind the scenes that tie into IE that you don't want to go there. The Mac thing is only a pontification in my part because I have some required that require XP Pro... won't even run on XP Home, and I'm reasonably sure that they would never run on a Mac... and if they did and something went wrong, I'd get no support. I think the bulk of them are going to obsolete in a year or so and be replaced with web based apps which will free that up for me.

convergent
02-21-2007, 08:13 PM
If I don't end up on the news tonight for something similar to an episode of 24 occuring in Loudonville, it will be a miracle. I swear I think someone upstairs is messing with me. I buy all this new hardware and put it together and install XP Pro. It boots, all is good. I go to install the drivers for the motherboard and pick the "install all" option which was a mistake. It gets hosed up and puts the computer in a state where it keeps rebooting to a tailored version of FreeDOS for the purpose of creating a driver diskette for something I don't undertand and isn't documented. I finally conclude I don't need to load all the drivers anyways, so I figured I'd spend 20 minutes and just reinstall XP Pro again. It gets 56% into it an hangs saying it can't load s3.sys. Several retries, cleaning the CD, changing the actual CD Drive out... still no go. So somehow, my CD disk for XP Pro now appears to have a problem. Come on... what else can go wrong here? I'm going to give it a shot loading XP Home, and then trying to upgrade it to XP Pro... hate to do that because of the extra crap it leaves on the hard drive, but I don't feel like buying an $200 license of XP Pro which I already on, and I can't wait days to try and get a replacement out of Microsoft. I'm half tempted to go buy Vista and be done with it, but I know that would be a huge mistake because certainly many of my programs will have problems... and besides, then I will prove that I've spent way more to build a computer I could have just bought off the shelf yesterday and saved myself all this grief.

Arghhhh!

convergent
02-23-2007, 02:34 PM
Well... being a glutton for punishment, I have just called Microsoft and ordered a replacement CD for XP Pro. I can't believe they are charging me about $30 to replace a CD... but what options do I have? I don't want to move to Vista yet, and it irks me to be running XP Home when I have bought XP Pro. Plus, I think I'm going to pick up a case and rebuild my old motherboard into a dedicated gaming computer... its a 2.8Ghz P4 and I had just bought a pretty decent graphics card for it... so for the cost of a case, I should be able to get it going. Maybe I'll try running Vista on that one since it will be a play machine anyways. I wish you could run Windows games on Linux... that would be very cool. If that were the case I'd load Ubuntu on it.

ShelleyNLP
02-26-2007, 12:16 PM
You know.....if you get a Mac....There is Virtual Windows XP...I have it..I just dont use it LOL Now that I have more memory I might reinstall it JUST so I can use some windows applications!

convergent
02-26-2007, 07:00 PM
You know.....if you get a Mac....There is Virtual Windows XP...I have it..I just dont use it LOL Now that I have more memory I might reinstall it JUST so I can use some windows applications!

I know about that, but I've thus far not tried it because I've got some apps that ONLY run in XP Professional... not even XP Home. I am guessing that these would have some problems in a virtual layer. Most of my apps I believe there are Mac versions of... but the cost of buying them all could be pricey.

I had another problem today with Outlook... it suddenly had a duplicate copy of the mail file in there and all the normal ways to get rid of it didn't work. Mind you, this is a fresh install of everything as of a few days ago, so for something to be corrupt already is pretty amazing. I had to go into the registry and delete some stuff, and then let it get rebuilt to fix it. Not exactly user friendly I'd say.

convergent
03-01-2007, 07:26 PM
Well, to put a ribbon on this saga, I finally received my replacement XP Professional CD today and installed ... seems to be OK. I have a few things I need to reinstall, AntiVirus, Wacom tablet driver, etc... but otherwise all looks fine.

nvr2low
03-01-2007, 08:33 PM
good to hear you figured it out. i just got a laptop with vista on it, wish i got a mac but they are way to expensive. no more xp for me, dont know if thats a good thing or a bad thing though.

convergent
03-01-2007, 11:23 PM
Well, I'm sure there isn't a huge leap under the covers between XP and Vista. After all, some of the stuff in XP still refers to NT, and thats been out for years.

nvr2low
03-02-2007, 08:57 AM
good point.